• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical Question while at OCS

lax014

I tore my ACL in the start or August, i was supposed to report to RI beggining of October. I have talked to my recruiter, she said aslong as surgery goes smoothly along with rehab i just have to go back to MEPS to get medically cleared. It is looking like I will be medically cleared by my surgeon and physical therapists March 1st 2008 which will be 6 months post surgery. But i will need to wear a knee brace for physical activity for some time after March 1st. I was leaning towards waiting some time after March of 08 to get back into better shape as i was before tearing my ACL.

My question is do they allow knee braces at OCS?
And if they do will there be times when i will get pulled out of bed, class, lunch etc. and be forced to run and not have time to put my knee brace on?
The possiblity of that last question and the rigors of OCS makes me want to wait longer before i report.

Anyone who has some input on this or has gone through OCS and can you lend some experience to help me out with these questions. Thanks.

Brett1

Banned
I cant answer the question about what will happen at OCS but I can tell you that a properly done ACL replacement will make your knee better than ever. I had a patella tendon graft and it worked very well. The down time was a while though. I was up walking in a few days but it was 6 months before I would trust my knee to not favor it when doing sports. Good luck.

speeddypat

None
One of the guys in my class had a knee brace that he wore pretty much every time we ran. He brought a lot of attention to himself for it though, so be prepared. Unless it's changed in the past few months, the only times we ran were at pt in the morning, and you always knew it was coming so you should always have time to put it on. You do however play in the sand quite a bit throughout the day so i dont know if that'll hurt it. basically, if you feel like you're good to do but still need it, just wear it.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Talk to the medical staff member (corpsman or other liason) and make sure the staff knows. Shouldn't be a problem. DO NOT be that guy who goes and buys one at the NEX without permission and gets caught....you will hurt in a LOT more places than your leg.