• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical disqualification?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
what about the Marines? Do they use the same standards?

They have the exact same medical standards, the Marines after all have no docs of their own and use Navy ones. As usmcecho4 says though it doesn't hurt to apply but go in knowing that chances are slim.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The first condition is essentially disqualifying, cut and dry with that one. As for the ADHD, the issue will be the medication itself. The fact you used it for reasons not involving ADHD (Vyvanse is only intended to be used for ADHD or binge eating disorders) is concerning of itself and essentially you shot yourself in the foot. When the MEPS doctor sees the RX and medical record and sees that Vyvanse was used for "studying", it's going to raise some serious flags. Some MEPS facilities can potentially DQ you for illegal prescription drug use and I don't see higher medical authorities changing their decision. Also, @NavyOffRec said, at least 3+ years off ADHD meds.

Additionally, if you're having to use "medication" for studying purposes in college, what makes you think you won't need it in much more stressful situations like OCS, TBS (if you go that route), and of course the fleet?

Understand your desire to serve and fly, but your medical history and illegal ADHD drug use will essentially stop that from ever happening. Even if you happened to be medically qualified, most recruiters would be unwilling to work with your because of the extensive amount of time and paperwork needed to get you across the finish line.

pvalli1

They have the exact same medical standards, the Marines after all have no docs of their own and use Navy ones. As usmcecho4 says though it doesn't hurt to apply but go in knowing that chances are slim.
If I were to try and get a waiver to fly, and I were to get in through the guaranteed flight school spot, would that be before or after I complete OCS?

pvalli1

The first condition is essentially disqualifying, cut and dry with that one. As for the ADHD medication, the issue will be the medication itself. The fact you used it for reasons not involving ADHD (Vyvanse is only intended to be used for ADHD or binge eating disorders) is concerning of itself and essentially shot yourself in the foot. Some MEPS facilities can potentially DQ you for illegal prescription drug use and I don't see higher medical authorities changing their decision.

Additionally, if you're having to use "medication" for studying purposes in college, what makes you think you won't need it in much more stressful situations like OCS, TBS (if you go that route), and of course the fleet?

Understand your desire to serve and fly, but your medical history and illegal ADHD drug use will essentially stop that from ever happening. Even if you happened to be medically qualified, most recruiters would be unwilling to work with your because of the extensive amount of time and paperwork needed to get you across the finish line.
It’s not illegal, I got a prescription because I was lazy and confused it with ADHD in high school. I haven’t used it to study in over a year.

exNavyOffRec

If I were to try and get a waiver to fly, and I were to get in through the guaranteed flight school spot, would that be before or after I complete OCS?

the ADHD meds make it so they won't even look at you until 3 years have passed, then you have to have medical records, psych evals, etc.....

I can also tell you that the hypothyroidism is a no go, I have a family member with the same condition who was not even allowed to physical because of it, it falls under the "history of" issue even though not currently on medication.

pvalli1

the ADHD meds make it so they won't even look at you until 3 years have passed, then you have to have medical records, psych evals, etc.....

I can also tell you that the hypothyroidism is a no go, I have a family member with the same condition who was not even allowed to physical because of it, it falls under the "history of" issue even though not currently on medication.
With a waiver, can I do anything else in the Navy/USMC?

usmcecho4

pilot
This makes absolutely no sense. It’s saying I can’t and a waiver isn’t recommended but a waiver can occur on a case by case basis?

I’ve read multiple people saying that a controlled thyroid isn’t CD, and others saying it was.

The case by case thing applies to designated personnel (already designated NA or NFO or whatever). They spent the bucks so they'll get the juice kinda like when people's eyes go bad and they still fly with glasses (back when having glasses was CD). Good luck!

s/f,
usmcecho4

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I hate to say an absolute no, but I would talk to your OR and see what he/she says. The only good sign here is that the waiver guide states that a waiver is not RECOMMENDED; it does not specifically state that a waiver is impossible or automatically denied. Since it says "not recommended" that tells me that you can still apply for one, but it is very unlikely that it will get approved.

That's not what that means. The wording is specific to how the overall organization operates. A subordinate does not tell a senior what to do, even if they are the subject matter expert. In the case, NAMI/BUMED is subordinate to PERS (among others...it gets complicated, but just go with me on this for this example). So when NAMI says something is considered disqualifying, they recommend no waiver. Ultimately BUMED or PERS will come back and issue the letter of denial. They're not going to go against what the expert says, even though they have the authority to ignore it recommendation.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I hate to say an absolute no, but I would talk to your OR and see what he/she says. The only good sign here is that the waiver guide states that a waiver is not RECOMMENDED; it does not specifically state that a waiver is impossible or automatically denied. Since it says "not recommended" that tells me that you can still apply for one, but it is very unlikely that it will get approved.
*Note: I have no personal experience with this exact issue; however, I have a bit of experience with 'exploiting' the verbiage and determining what the regulations are actually saying (especially when it comes to my nemesis: depth perception...)

This information is one giant piece of shit. Stop trying to misconstrue information that's cut and dry and just confusing the applicant even further. The condition is disqualifying with no waivers granted.

menloe

This information is one giant piece of shit. Stop trying to misconstrue information that's cut and dry and just confusing the applicant even further. The condition is disqualifying with no waivers granted.
I was simply stating that the word "recommended" leaves a technically theoretical possibility for a waiver. It's quite obvious that the possibility is slim to none. I was not trying to confuse anyone, in any manner. Hence, why I stated that I thought that it was very unlikely that it will get approved, and went on to state that I do not have personal experience with this issue. The only reason I commented is because I know how strong of a desire some people (including myself) have to fly. It sucks to be told that you can't, and if there is any chance of getting a waiver, I know I would try if I were in this situation. My apologies if it seemed confusing or misleading.
So when NAMI says something is considered disqualifying, they recommend no waiver. Ultimately BUMED or PERS will come back and issue the letter of denial. They're not going to go against what the expert says, even though they have the authority to ignore it recommendation.
Thank you for the clarification. Being able to see where the recommendation comes from, and what other levels of organization apply to the situation puts it into perspective.

pvalli1

So ther
so there’s absolute nothing I can do in the Marines or Navy?

Hayley D.

So ther

so there’s absolute nothing I can do in the Marines or Navy?
Someone replied to you on Reddit about this. They said that they were able to get a waiver to serve in the staff corps. If it is your priority to serve, even if it is not in an aviation designator, perhaps you could look into that.