• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medal of Honor Recipient Ordered to Remove Flagpole

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
One thing that I have found in life is that some people just suck and there is nothing you can do about it because they will continue to suck despite your best efforts.

This homeowners association just sucks. They will take this to court, they will probably win, and they will revel in the fact that they beat a sweet 90 year old man out of doing what he absolutely knows is right and is probably the last thing that he has to hold on to, which is to raise that flag every day.

Some people just suck.

Cleonard19

Contributor
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/FLAG031_20091202-234201/309270/

It would seem he's getting support from the right places.

Someone needs to construct for him, a platform that is suspended angularly from the side of the house onto which to mount the entire flagpole. They also help him install the necessary equipment for play all required bugle calls. (They Army has a lot of them, http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/bugle.htm)

Then again, I can be vindictive like that. I don't think the Col. would go that far to make a point.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
He moved somewhere that had a home owner's association, with the full knowledge that these a-holes are the ones to approve or restrict changes on his property. He requested a change (erecting a flag pole) and was denied. He should have either gotten the request approved through the proper channels, or moved.

It sucks, and I think the HOA should have approved it, but don't move somewhere that has an HOA if you can't abide by its rules.

Cleonard19

Contributor
He moved somewhere that had a home owner's association, with the full knowledge that these a-holes are the ones to approve or restrict changes on his property. He requested a change (erecting a flag pole) and was denied. He should have either gotten the request approved through the proper channels, or moved.

It sucks, and I think the HOA should have approved it, but don't move somewhere that has an HOA if you can't abide by its rules.

The HOA's rules and bylaws, according to the article do not expressly prohibit flagpoles. In that case, I see his request more as a courtesy notification of his intentions. They seem to be trying to force him to take it down on the grounds of it not being aesthetically pleasing. Anyone who doesn't find an American flag being flown, especially by one of this countries true heroes...

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
The HOA's rules and bylaws, according to the article do not expressly prohibit flagpoles. In that case, I see his request more as a courtesy notification of his intentions. They seem to be trying to force him to take it down on the grounds of it not being aesthetically pleasing. Anyone who doesn't find an American flag being flown, especially by one of this countries true heroes...
Didn't see a link in the article, so I don't know what the bylaws specifically state, but it is standard practice that any changes to your property (house paint color, significant landscaping) have to be approved...and these things are all "aesthetics". The article states he made a request (not a courtesy notification) and it was denied. They are a-holes, sure, but he should get it legally challenged or live elsewhere.

flopper

but don't move somewhere that has an HOA if you can't abide by its rules.

The above quote almost completely sums it up. Don't buy a condo or a house in a neighborhood that has a HOA, period.

I am with the veteran; maybe he could affix the flag pole to a corner of his house or something to get around the reg (watch the video).

Pugs

Back from the range
None
This homeowners association just sucks. They will take this to court, they will probably win, and they will revel in the fact that they beat a sweet 90 year old man out of doing what he absolutely knows is right and is probably the last thing that he has to hold on to, which is to raise that flag every day.

Some people just suck.

Home owner associations in general suck. They remind me of liberals. Full of do-gooder ideas but with absolutely no idea of the consequences of them and full of self-importance that they know better than the individual.

I lived with one once that ran rampant and I had to sic Navy Legal on them. It worked and I learned my lesson, never again live with a homeowners association - NEVER - . Learn from my mistake.

Cleonard19

Contributor
Didn't see a link in the article, so I don't know what the bylaws specifically state, but it is standard practice that any changes to your property (house paint color, significant landscaping) have to be approved...and these things are all "aesthetics". The article states he made a request (not a courtesy notification) and it was denied. They are a-holes, sure, but he should get it legally challenged or live elsewhere.

You're right, I stand corrected. The reference to them making their statements on aesthetics is from the Col.'s daughter in the link to the second article that I posted. And yes, I agree. They're complete assholes.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
didn't see a link in the article, so i don't know what the bylaws specifically state, but it is standard practice that any changes to your property (house paint color, significant landscaping) have to be approved...and these things are all "aesthetics". The article states he made a request (not a courtesy notification) and it was denied. They are a-holes, sure, but he should get it legally challenged or live elsewhere.
+1.

OscarMyers

None
Home owner associations in general suck. They remind me of liberals. Full of do-gooder ideas but with absolutely no idea of the consequences of them and full of self-importance that they know better than the individual.

I lived with one once that ran rampant and I had to sic Navy Legal on them. It worked and I learned my lesson, never again live with a homeowners association - NEVER - . Learn from my mistake.

It wouldnt be an HOA on essex south by NAS Pax by chance?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Beware the person with only a little power . . . they're not afraid to use it. That's HOAs in a nutshell. My folks have property on a rod and gun club which has been in the family since 1936, and dealing with the board and the family cliques is like being transported back to middle school.

My condo up in Whidbey has a HOA headed by an old lady who is the Soup Nazi of contractors. The minute they do something remotely off-spec, she tells them off and fires them, then wonders why she can only get skeezy idiot lazy landscapers. Apparently the good ones "don't want the money enough." Sheesh.

Oh, and WRT the original argument, what about the HOA's unconstitutional abridgement of the old man's freedom of expression? The "never deal with an HOA" argument really doesn't hold too much water with me, because lately, where does that leave you to live?

Bevo16

pilot
There is a HOA association in my neighborhood, but the Prez has built a garage that is outside the bounds of the covenants. Pretty much any complaints that are not a violation of law or safety code get met with "Fuck you, tear down your $100,000 garage, and then we can talk about my brush pile."