• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

McKiernan OUT ... McChrystal IN

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I'd be real suprised if Gen Petraeus had any say in this sacking at all.....

It's encouraging, at least to me, that McCrystal is the former head of JSOC...which has been and will be very prominent in the 'stan.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know he does this publicly for political purposes at home, but Karzai renewed his demand that the coalition forces stop all airstrikes in his country. I suspect that he reluctantly approves of them behind the scenes, but if that concept were to gain any real traction, it could be a huge game changer WRT how we prosecute OEF. Thoughts?

Brett

Bevo16

pilot
I know he does this publicly for political purposes at home, but Karzai renewed his demand that the coalition forces stop all airstrikes in his country. I suspect that he reluctantly approves of them behind the scenes, but if that concept were to gain any real traction, it could be a huge game changer WRT how we prosecute OEF. Thoughts?

I wish we could carry out our strikes from space. :D

Karazi is holding onto power by a thread. My guess is that if he got some more support against the people trying to take him out, we would have more support in having our airstrikes. Maybe we could kill 2 birds with one stone?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Karazi is holding onto power by a thread. My guess is that if he got some more support against the people trying to take him out, we would have more support in having our airstrikes. Maybe we could kill 2 birds with one stone?

Indeed. It is curious for me to watch these various Muslim leaders who talk out of both sides of their mouths (Afghans/Pakistanis/Saudis/Etc). Must suck to need the US' help that much when so many of his people hate us.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Indeed. It is curious for me to watch these various Muslim leaders who talk out of both sides of their mouths (Afghans/Pakistanis/Saudis/Etc). Must suck to need the US' help that much when so many of his people hate us.

Brett

There is actually a Farsi term for lying/agreeing to something for survival sake, but never intending to follow through. Can't remember/find the term right now but it is an interesting observation that they have a term for it, something to be aware of when dealing with several of the cultures in that region.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
To think that the current problems there could probably have been dealt with back in the 90's if we had only followed through with the rebuilding.

With that in mind I just read the book "Three Cups of Tea." Great read and definitely backs up the theory that if we had only put some effort into building schools when we had the chance, things would have been much different.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
There is actually a Farsi term for lying/agreeing to something for survival sake, but never intending to follow through. Can't remember/find the term right now but it is an interesting observation that they have a term for it, something to be aware of when dealing with several of the cultures in that region.

I think the term is politics...

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I haven't heard that McKiernan did anything wrong to warrant the sacking, other than not being Stan McChrystal...

022609151735_mcchrystal.jpg

That guy is a stud, and is the "real deal" from a SOF perspective. Word on the street is that he only eats one meal a day, and is an absolute PT fiend. If you review his bio, you can see where the man has been - he and VADM McRaven are two that I'm glad are on our side... They both strike me as the right people being at the right rank at the right place at the right time - let's see what they can do with the shit sandwiches they are inheriting.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor

Asked, and answered: the much discussed, sought-after, but never pursued "Rods from Gods"

rods%20from%20god.jpg

The concept is workable from a technology standpoint, but it requires money to be free. The killer is launch cost - about $10K per pound to put something in orbit, whether it is concrete or gold (or titanium darts / telephone poles). Since money is no longer free, we won't be dropping these from low earth orbit anytime soon... :(

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I haven't heard that McKiernan did anything wrong to warrant the sacking, other than not being Stan McChrystal...

022609151735_mcchrystal.jpg

That guy is a stud, and is the "real deal" from a SOF perspective. Word on the street is that he only eats one meal a day, and is an absolute PT fiend. If you review his bio, you can see where the man has been - he and VADM McRaven are two that I'm glad are on our side... They both strike me as the right people being at the right rank at the right place at the right time - let's see what they can do with the shit sandwiches they are inheriting.

Andrew Exum says there have been calls to sack McKiernan for a while, mostly for not "getting it" with respect to COIN. I guess it's more what he hasn't done than anything in particular he has.

Still, McChrystal looks to be a solid choice.
http://abumuqawama.blogspot.com/2009/05/mckiernan-out-mcchrystal-in.html

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Andrew Exum says there have been calls to sack him for a while, mostly for not "getting it" with respect to COIN. I guess it's more what he hasn't done than anything in particular he has.

Still, McChrystal looks to be as a solid choice.
http://abumuqawama.blogspot.com/2009/05/mckiernan-out-mcchrystal-in.html

Dr. Gates hasn't really slipped up much in supporting or rejecting appointment of commanders on the ground, or at least it seems like that. I agree with the decision to change the boss over there, since the mission in Afghanistan is intensifying.

And, of course, cause this admin is all about change. ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

Brett
I think the Obama Administration is growing desperate to find some solutions to what's rapidly becoming "its war" ... as that's what happened 40 years ago when the 'war' wasn't going according to domestic political needs. Sooooooo ... like 40 years ago ... military heads WILL roll in a politician-driven need to 'show results' or 'do SOMETHING'.

My entire geo-political viewpoint is not held hostage by the Vietnam experience -- but is rather influenced by it in terms of what works and what doesn't ...

A weakened (?) Karzai is a problem, in that the Tali-Queda gangsters seem to have found a way to make him -- and US, by extension -- JUMP everytime an "airstrike" is reported ... or WP is 'used' ... w/ the attendent "civilian" casualties being hysterically reported, no matter from what source the casualties may have emanated.

One thing we've GOT TO QUIT DOING ... is initiate an 'investigation' each & every time the enemy cries 'foul' following an incident ...

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor

One thing we've GOT TO QUIT DOING ... is initiate an 'investigation' each & every time the enemy cries 'foul' following an incident ...

Because they partially admit / imply blame, because they waste time, or because we "have" to find someone to pin it on?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Because they partially admit / imply blame, because they waste time, or because we "have" to find someone to pin it on?

No, eddie ... it's 'cause we're fighting a war.

You're over thinking this.

It will cost American lives at the end of the day. You can't expect someone to "fight to win" with purpose & determination when he/she knows that their actions -- legitimate actions taken in the heat of battle -- will be called into question every time the enemy squeals "that hurts". You don't let the enemy call the shots and have YOU jumping through hoops w/ his media propaganda barrages ...