• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

may 26 OCS and Cicadas

cwyx

Anyone else heard about these Cicada bugs that are going to invade the eastern US for all of June? How convienient for all of us shipping to OCS this saturday!!! Supposedly millions of these buggers live underground for 17 years and come up for 30 days to mate then die then dont return for 17 more years. Apparently theyre so loud when they mate it drowns out concerts. It's going to be like a plague of locusts lol. That should make OCS that much funner. I hate bugs...

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
You don't need to maintain absolute noise discipline...and you can eat them when you get hungry during a security hault! I'm not seeing a downside here.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
As long as you dont get attacked by those damn death bugs that would stab the crap out of you. I freaking hated those things last summer. If you weren't in cammies, you were pretty much getting assaulted.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Oh boy, the Starship Trooper possibilities are endless.... and yet none of them will be very funny.

Rubiks06

pilot
Yeah they hit the DC area a couple years ago and they were EVERYWHERE...it really did sound like a "ray gun" from a cheesy class "b" space movie. Not to mention they were all over everything you couldnt even walk to your car without crunching the damn things.

Lawman

None
I hate bugs...

Oh just wait for your first night in the field....

Seriously I was a Boy Scout. Ive camped in pretty much every region of the US and Canada. Short of being some kind of nuclear testing ground I cannot for the life of me explain how or why bugs are the way they are in Quantico. Welcome to the suck. See you at "Camp."

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh just wait for your first night in the field....

Seriously I was a Boy Scout. Ive camped in pretty much every region of the US and Canada. Short of being some kind of nuclear testing ground I cannot for the life of me explain how or why bugs are the way they are in Quantico. Welcome to the suck. See you at "Camp."

Never thought of that, but you're right. I was also in scouting in the DC area and even served as a counselor at a camp in Virginia for an entire summer and never encountered what I did at Quantico, especially the hordes of ticks. Having very short hair was definitely a plus in that regard as they were everywhere.

Lawman

None
Never thought of that, but you're right. I was also in scouting in the DC area and even served as a counselor at a camp in Virginia for an entire summer and never encountered what I did at Quantico, especially the hordes of ticks. Having very short hair was definitely a plus in that regard as they were everywhere.

I remember the first looks from guys after the IMC when they said "check yourself and your buddy for ticks." Probably pulled half a dozen off of the platoon easy. The worst night was deffinately the night we Biv'd out at Buffulo Pond. You couldnt get near that tree line without getting attacked even if you were swimming in bug spray. I dug a cat hole between the back of our tent and the one behind it and just pissed there that night. I think I was the only guy at OCS to actually use his intrenching tool.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You don't need to maintain absolute noise discipline...and you can eat them when you get hungry during a security hault! I'm not seeing a downside here.

Might want to get a few extra dipping sauces from McDonald's like they provide for Chicken McNuggets (Sweet n Sour is good on bugs) and tuck them away for bugs of opportunity. ;)

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
I remember the first time we had a fire drill at OCS and hearing those things while we stood outside on the parade deck in our skivies. Im from California so I had never even heard of those things before that night.

jagges84

Semper Gumby "Always Flexible"
I didn't think the bugs were that bad at OCS last summer. I just rather had not looked at what was crawling around the tent. I was a stickler when it came to keeping the stupid screen flap shut when myself and tentmate were not in there. He didn't seem to care, but it sure kept about 95% of the bugs out.

BTW, everywhere I am seeing on the Web, it says its going to affect the MIDWEST not east...so who knows.

Look on the bright side, it will make a nice loud sound when marching on the parade deck and the whole platoon is crunching them at the same time.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Yeah, they hit the DC / Quantico area 3 years ago. So you probably do not have to worry about the Cicadas affecting your training this summer since they come out every 13 or 17 years. You just get to worry about the ticks, biting flies, and the like. Good luck this summer!

MasterHaynes86

I dont think they will drown out a SI or even attempt to mess with one, lol

A few more bugs wont be any real big deal... Just means free bait for fishing and whatnot post-ocs

ItsTurboTime

BTW, everywhere I am seeing on the Web, it says its going to affect the MIDWEST not east...so who knows.
That's what I saw too. I remember when they were out a couple years ago in the eastern states. Didn't bother me too much except on the golf course.

JMMH

Ugh.
From what I've heard the train will be your biggest sleep obstacle... I wouldn't worry about the cicadas.

I grew up in Arlington VA and these bugs aren't really a big deal. No more than growing up in the country and being able to hear frogs at night.
They don't swarm like locusts, but stay in the shrubs and trees... and leave a shell behind that crunches.