• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

May 2010 Boards

A

AlexSmart

Take a look at the new thread posted in Navy OCS, this guy was pro-rec'd, cleared medical, the NON SELECTED! How the f*** does that work? Thats definitely not a good sign...

tuke09

I assume his story is exactly the reason why the Navy has the two phase Pro Rec and Final Select mechanism in place. There are similar examples floating around also. I will not be getting overly excited about going to OCS until after I have raised my right hand in the air, and received my order to Newport.

ryan1234

Hey all - have everything in for May... except the NASIS which is giving me some problems with the foreign travel. Started it a couple months ago at the begining of the application, some of the country names have changed which mark an error when submitted, but they can't be deleted either. Weird...but my OR, who has been awesome, made a few calls so hopefully we'll get it taken care of. Down here in FL the NASIS is part of the application process, everything else is good to go:

M/26
SNA
SNFO
7/8/8
2.8 GPA Business
CSEL/CMEL/CMES

oh yeah... and I got arrested for a potato gun (long story)

nba1290

Take a look at the new thread posted in Navy OCS, this guy was pro-rec'd, cleared medical, the NON SELECTED! How the f*** does that work? Thats definitely not a good sign...

Could that be a background check red flag?? I'd be livid if I was this guy, all that work just for a letter that says thanks but no thanks? Never heard of such a thing post that link if you could find it again.

gth872q

Finishing paperwork tomorrow

M/22
SNA
9 / 9 / 9 / 65
2.8 GPA Aerospace Engineering
Georgia Tech

LORs
4x Employers at Gulfstream
1 P-3 Pilot then Delta 737 pilot then FAA inspector...pretty good letter.

Good luck everyone

(PS - First post...good to be here)

gth872q

PPS - Anyone heard a good strategy on getting SNA.....I originally had SNFO on there, but I heard the board might think "well hes ok for pilot....lets just let NFO have him"

Thoughts?

Thanks!

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
PPS - Anyone heard a good strategy on getting SNA.....I originally had SNFO on there, but I heard the board might think "well hes ok for pilot....lets just let NFO have him"

Apply for what you want, not what you think might look good to the boards. I only put SNA on my packet and got picked up. It doesn't make you look "more like a team player" if you put NFO as your 2nd choice. See the bazillion threads on here from dudes who wanted to be pilots, but put NFO as #2 to make their package look good, and now don't know whether or not to take NFO or reapply for pilot. That's just dumb.

Anyways, just wanted to say good luck to everyone on here. Times are tough in manning and competition is stiff.

I can't believe I was on the May boards of 2009, and here I am sitting in A-Pool waiting to start. It's kinda nuts to me. Keep the faith.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I don't know if the board will think that way but who am I. Anyways you could have NA only on your app and not get selected. Then the next time you apply you decide to go for both NA and NFO. You may get selected for both or just either one or neither. I don't think anyone can tell you how they will select but if you only want to be a pilot then put NA only. If you are happy being a NA or NFO then put both. Basically there is no strategy because no one can tell you what the board wants when they select NAs or NFOs (it's like winning the lottery but with slightly better odds). You apply and either get selected or don't. It is your choice on what you want to apply for and what job you would enjoy doing. As logic dictates I think you have a better chance of getting selected by putting down more than one option but the Navy is not always logical with its process.

jlil41

I am still awaiting another employee reference but I have a question concerning it. I know I still have a good bit of time this month before the deadline for the May boards the processor sent the sheet to the wrong address and I can't get ahold of him.......lets say for instance I cant get that evaluation in before the deadline, how will that look? will that hurt my packet or make me look bad, etc.....?

A

AlexSmart

I guess what we're discussing here in the "appearance" of your goals as a Naval officer. One might have a good reason to put only SNA on their app if their number one goal has always been to fly aircraft. Putting other communities might suggest "I want to a be a Naval Officer, and while I'm at it being a pilot might be pretty cool". The reality for myself (and many others on here, I am sure) is yes, at the end of the day we want to be Naval Officers, but we have also been working towards being a pilot for a long time.

My application currently has me applying as Pilot/NFO/Intel. I have only read into the intelligence community briefly and while it sounds like an interesting and fulfilling career path, it is not what I am truly interested in doing. I have been following Naval Aviation since I was a child, up through high school and college, and is what is driving me through this application process.

After considering what a lot of SNA Pro-Recs have said, I am going to remove Intel from my application. I am also considering removing NFO for the first go-around. Being a Naval Flight Officer would no doubt be a truly satisfying career for anyone interested in Naval Aviation, but at the end of the day I have always wanted to pilot aircraft and I want to give myself the absolute best shot at getting to do so.

jph

After considering what a lot of SNA Pro-Recs have said

What have they said? I'm in a very similar situation to you, and I'm curious as to what you've heard.

Also, and this question is open to all on this thread, what date are you putting down as your available date "to start training" as the OCS application puts it, I think (i.e., start OCS). I personally am thinking either Aug or Sept 1st, but there is no particular reason really ... just wondering if everyone's start date is as arbitrary as mine.

nate_j52

Im told my results will be coming 2nd week of may.. about.. anyway this is me

28/ M
SNA/NFO/SWO
55 6/7/7
3.2 General studies (poli sci concentration)
4 semesters of grad school for MBA
Prior service, Far east Sailor, out ouf 3 years and something at my command i have half that at sea, in a foward deployed frontline Electronic attack squadron, AD2 1999-2003 EA-6B powerplants and fuel systems, flight deck trouble shooter USS Kitty Hawk, Operation Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom. 8 months Active reserves P-3's (reserve sucks)
Two letters of commendation from CO
almost 2 years off shore engineering position.
No bad behaviour, no medical issues, excellent vision.
LOR's from old C.O whos currently Capt. CAG,
LtCdr pilot from my old squadron,
Chief Scientist Naval Oceanographic center,
employer,
Engineer whos known me since i was 13
PADI diver, boy scout, run 4,5 times a week etc.

nba1290

QUOTE]

You mean June? Or were you on April boards. I'm going for BDCP so my recruiter told me I would probably be going to OCS in August of 2011. General question how many people usually apply per board?

nba1290

Also, does anyone know what the policy is on switching from SNFO to SNA? My recruiter told me to apply for both, and accept whatever one I get because I would get paid more while still in school under the BDCP. He said both positions go through the same training and you have the ability to switch from SNFO to SNA at some point, but he didn't really elaborate. That advice kinda goes against everything I've read on this website, everyone says put SNA and only SNA if you want to go pilot. Anyone know how to switch once you get accepted?

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor

QUOTE]

You mean June? Or were you on April boards. I'm going for BDCP so my recruiter told me I would probably be going to OCS in August of 2011. General question how many people usually apply per board?

No he meant May. That seems a bit quick considering what I have seen on other boards. I would think somewhere around the last week of May would be more accurate.