• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Max Weight?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Not sure if i'm in the right section here. What is the maximum weight allowed for a Student Naval Aviator Applicant?

Max cat shot for a Prowler is 58,600 lbs. Work backwards from there with your crew and figure out what you can weigh. ;)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I thought the ejection seat was the main reason strike jet candidates had to be light.

Well it is what it is. I usually weighed somewhere around 240 in gear.

We lost Desperado 624 on 31 December 1990. It was going to be the first year ever we had not lost a Prowler. They parted the 3 wire and went over the side of TR (I'll not delve into the whole AMB affair except to say one should use a torque wrench when the MIMS says use a fucking torque wrench).

I was standing by the island with my crew waiting to hot switch into the jet. It went by and pop. pop. pop. pop. The wire slapped the Bear Ace E-2 I was beside. I ran to the port side and saw four chutes. The first three guys were all 250+ in gear were close and Jaguar (HS-9) was right on top of them. Psycho was ECMO 3 though. He was 180 max in gear and was the first out of the jet. Everyone else hit the water. Oscar, the pilot recalls ECMO 1 (Boomer) seat hitting the canopy and then the nose of the jet hitting the water before his seat fired. He said it was a "hand of god feeling" as he ejected and then lifted his head and the SH-3 was on top of him.

Psycho in the meantime was floating downwind in his chute. No problemo. It's the Atlantic off Bermuda, the water is 70 degrees and he can see the boat despite having lost his glasses and he can see the helo picking up his buds. About that time a gray fin goes across a wave. F' that. Sea dye marker, radio, flares. here comes the motor whaleboat to pick him up (Bosun' with M-14 in hand to deal with those dastardly jaws). It turns out that the "fin" was, in fact, a drop tank fin that had ripped off the jet and flipped over with the fin up.

What does this have to do with max weight for aircrew? Crap, I don't know, blame it on too many Wild Goose IPA's. :)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
^ As Pugs and I have discussed here before, I was conning the TR during this incident. I remember the "oh shit" feeling like it was yesterday.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I got a pink sheet in API because I weighed more than 235. I haven't had any problems since, and I am around the same weight. I was anthro'd out of the T-45 for sitting height. NOT F/A-18s EA-6Bs E2/C2. So, because I couldn't fly the trainer, I couldn't fly tailhook. Period. As for the seat. If you are a big dude, you sign a sheet that says, more or less, that if you eject you're gonna either die or be maimed badly.

LEG DAY

^^^I see. Were you around 235 for your flight physical as well? By the way, thanks for the responses everyone...

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
^^^I see. Were you around 235 for your flight physical as well? By the way, thanks for the responses everyone...

I was a little lighter, but I was just recovering from a bad bug. The pink sheet was more the result of the officer in charge of Anthro at the time. He liked to hand out pink sheets.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OP: Keep in mind that there's max weight for anthros, and max weight for the Navy. Max weight for anthros is, as has been discussed, driven by the ejection seat envelope and it's ruled by NOMI. Navy max weight is a physical fitness thing, based on height-weight and bodyfat. If you're out of weight anthros, they'll find something else for you to fly. If you're out of weight standards, they'll invite you to seek employment elsewhere.

Being in limits for one does not necessarily mean you'll be in limits for the other.

LEG DAY

^^^Yea, its the weight anthros I was worried about. I thought it was that you had to be good for all airframes or your not good for any of them.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Ive seen some big dudes get into the T-45. If you make height weight on the PT side as long as your body proportions are within the anthro limits I don't see weight playing much of a role.

Rectrix

I did a search and this thread seems to be the closest thing to what I was looking for. Can anyone tell me indefinitely what the max weights are for the T-6, T-45, and F-18? Do they all use the same ejection seat? I'm headed to P-cola soon and I seem fluctuate between 210 and 218 depending on how good the wife's cooking is that week. I could drop to 205 of lower if I needed to, but I don't really want to if I don't have to. I'm 6'1" and in pretty good shape, just a big Dolf Lundgren kinda guy (minus the roids). The only thing I have found online so far is a PDF of the ejection seat manual for the T-45 that said the max nude body weight for the NACES was 212lbs and the max for something called the CNO (I know someone is gonna make a crack about this acronym) was 235lbs. https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/pubs/folder5/T45/P-1286.PDF I realize that there is no guarantee that I'll get an F-18 one day but I don't want to disqualify myself because of a weight restriction.