• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Max amount on leave?

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I have been searching but can not find an instruction that gives the max amount of people allowed on leave. I know manning, workload and other factors decide if you can afford to lose someone while they are on leave. I was looking for something more from a readiness issue. i.e. No more than 25% on leave unless in a collapsed duty section then the max is 50%. My admin guys can't find anything either. Any ideas?

Renegade One

None
Um...why has this come up? I think the real answer is "no Navy policy...that's what we pay COs to figure out depending on their unit's situation". So ask your Skipper...

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I saw you on SB. You can't say SWO's aren't helpful...

Huggy Bear

pilot
Um...why has this come up? I think the real answer is "no Navy policy...that's what we pay COs to figure out depending on their unit's situation". So ask your Skipper...

Isn't this often out of the CO's hands. Ie. dictated by the wing or even higher up. I remember our CO saying he would like to shut down the squadron for a week or so around christmas, but that he was required to keep at least 50% of the squadron around.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
This question evolved over a few weeks after large numbers of Ships Company trying to take leave. I know only the CO can deny the leave. This particular question is why we collapse the duty section during holidays and POM periods. The answer is to allow 50% of personnel to go on leave. After debate the question was brought up as to what percent could you let go on leave before having to collapse the duty section. Really the question is if it is written down anywhere.

I know the real issue is can the command afford to let the guy go on leave (quals, duty, etc). This question is more is there a Navy policy that addresses it vice a local command instruction. Which looks like the answer is no.

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
Pretty certain there is no big-Navy policy. When I was a shooter on the boat, the Captain only allowed 1/3 on leave at time, I guess in case the ship had to get under way in an emergency.

My first squadron it was always 50%. I've also heard of squadron's, including my current one, going completely cold iron after deployment with everyone on leave except half a dozen folks to man the duty office.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Echo the No big Navy policy. In the Battalion I just came from, holiday periods were designated as "liberal leave" where we only needed one khaki per company present. All other times it was up to the company commanders to manage leave of their personnel. Never written in stone XX% need to be present.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
FDNF had limits based on the NK tether, so there may be a Fleet instruction that applies.