• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MATSG-21 Check-In

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
Some background info before I fire my questions: I graduate TBS on December 20th and my check-in date to MATSG-21 is January 3rd. I am already IFS complete. I assume that everyone down there will be on block leave or something similar during the lag time between TBS and flight school. Finally my question, when do you all recommend I check in? I ask this because I know that sometimes it pays to be the first one in the chute and other times it's a waste of time. I ask this with stash jobs in mind. Are they just waiting down there with a list of jobs that need to be filled by green lieutenants and do they just give them out randomly? Or will they do nothing until the new year and when everyone returns to work?

Any advice or opinions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.

mayo

They will give you about a week to complete all the the check-in items. In reality you could have these items checked off in a day or two. I chose to initially check in and then take a few days to go out and find an apartment. It was easier than waiting in the long lines of Lts at each check-in office. The stash jobs are basically luck of the draw. Initially the first few Lts done with check in will be put on a job that needs Marines immediatly. I lucked out and got a cake job.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Show up mid morning of your check in day. Wear Chucks without shooting badges and have cammies in your car. You'll be given 5 working days to check in (it should only take you two). Stash jobs are luck of the draw. If you don't want to be stashed, finish your check in and immediately go on leave for a few weeks. Then, come back and put in for PTAD. You can go for 30 days and extend twice for 15 days. Anywhere in CONUS is game.

After you get back, your buddies who stayed in P-cola and were stashed for those two plus months will have plenty of gouge as to where to try and get stashed.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
If that's lucking out, then I REALLY lucked out, because I didn't have a stash job at all. Just mustered down at MATSG every day.

I mustered on Mondays.

THE MAN is apparently watching a little more, and working ya more, too. But I worked really hard at honorably depleting the beer and liquor resources around the greater pensacola area.

mayo

It seems to be pretty quick now...I was Bravo Co. and waited 4 months. I know of some Charlie Co. starting up that will have only waited about a month. Those without IFS reporting to Pcola will have a considerable wait.

With my stash job I was able to stay out of the MOC 4 days a week and we did a phone muster.

KBayDog

If you don't want to be stashed, finish your check in and immediately go on leave for a few weeks. Then, come back and put in for PTAD. You can go for 30 days and extend twice for 15 days. Anywhere in CONUS is game.

After you get back, your buddies who stayed in P-cola and were stashed for those two plus months will have plenty of gouge as to where to try and get stashed.

I love seeing the ebb and flow of training pool delays. I checked into API the Friday after TBS graduation (one week), and was told I was starting API the very next Friday. I actually had to work out a deal to delay my start for a week in order to move into housing and get my TMO shipment. I found it almost comical that I commissioned in May, completed TBS, reported to MATSG-21 at the end of January, and still started API before some of the Ensigns with whom I commissioned.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I love seeing the ebb and flow of training pool delays. I checked into API the Friday after TBS graduation (one week), and was told I was starting API the very next Friday. I actually had to work out a deal to delay my start for a week in order to move into housing and get my TMO shipment. I found it almost comical that I commissioned in May, completed TBS, reported to MATSG-21 at the end of January, and still started API before some of the Ensigns with whom I commissioned.

I hear you. I'm sure it's the same way I love hearing about what a red ass TBS is. I just hope it "flows" more than it "ebbs" and I can get this thing started before I turn 30.

pjxc415

pilot
IF YOU'RE NOT IFS COMPLETE, SUCK IT UP, STAY IN QUANTICO, AND DO IFS THERE. seriously, i got here 14 June after graduating alpha, and started ifs 29 oct. some of the bravo guys that reported 3 weeks after me wont start until jan/feb timeframe. not sure about charlie. if you're one of those Marines who just wants to get the hell out of quantico and down to pcola, be ready to wait for ifs. entrance into ifs is by tbs lineal standing, so if you have a company with a lot of air contracts like alpha and bravo, and you're in the middle or bottom of your company, be ready to wait for a real long time.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
IF YOU'RE NOT IFS COMPLETE, SUCK IT UP, STAY IN QUANTICO, AND DO IFS THERE. seriously, i got here 14 June after graduating alpha, and started ifs 29 oct. some of the bravo guys that reported 3 weeks after me wont start until jan/feb timeframe. not sure about charlie. if you're one of those Marines who just wants to get the hell out of quantico and down to pcola, be ready to wait for ifs. entrance into ifs is by tbs lineal standing, so if you have a company with a lot of air contracts like alpha and bravo, and you're in the middle or bottom of your company, be ready to wait for a real long time.

Charlie sent down five unlucky fellas who'll be here...a long time. The rest were retained to do IFS at Quantico.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
If you don't need IFS because you have your PPL and have finished TBS, will your TBS lineal standing affect your API start date?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor

Yeah, cause 4 months of sun/beach/drinkin while you wait just sucks ... :icon_wink

pjxc415

pilot
If you don't need IFS because you have your PPL and have finished TBS, will your TBS lineal standing affect your API start date?

Minimally. Ifs is the big kicker for lineal standing. Once you're ifs, nomi, anthro, and legal are complete, your name will be moved to the right side of the board for api. Right now, if you're ready to get moved to the right side of the board, they're putting you straight into an api class. If there are several people on the right side waiting to class up, it will go by tbs company, and then lineal standing within that company ... but the api list is minimal compared to the long list of people waiting for ifs.

And believe me ... the 5 month paid vaca in florida kicked ass, no complaining there, but i would still do ifs in quantico.