• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Math skills for pilots?

azguy

None
Geez. You 1310's keep math things so simple.

Depending how Mom and Dad run the ship, the Radian Rule can be a real PITA at times. I've been on a real world Cain Mutiny ship (USS Lang reserves circa 1987) as well as happy ships. Every SWO's experience is different. The SWO Destiny is such a mathematical crap shoot and it really shouldn't be. Then again, the mathematical calculations submitted in certain 8 O'Clock reports are sometimes pretty entertaining. I miss the entertainment value of the Navy (occasionally) and fondly remember our mentally affected XO. It was hard to keep a straight face while the XO was screaming at you about minuscule BS while he simultaneously had his index finger about an inch up his nose. OK -I don't really miss that part of the Navy.

Just do your fuels and don't run out of gas.

Have another drink dude....

Driver

Depending how Mom and Dad run the ship, the Radian Rule can be a real PITA at times. I've been on a real world Cain Mutiny ship (USS Lang reserves circa 1987) as well as happy ships. Every SWO's experience is different. The SWO Destiny is such a mathematical crap shoot and it really shouldn't be. Then again, the mathematical calculations submitted in certain 8 O'Clock reports are sometimes pretty entertaining. I miss the entertainment value of the Navy (occasionally) and fondly remember our mentally affected XO. It was hard to keep a straight face while the XO was screaming at you about minuscule BS while he simultaneously had his index finger about an inch up his nose. OK -I don't really miss that part of the Navy.

I'm sure this is good advice, but I understand like half of what you said. Sorry dude.

Driver

A healthy mixture of awesome, terrifying, and boring. Sometimes all at the same time!
Well is it definitely worth it? I'm a little cautious of the long term effects...like, is it doable to have a family later and stuff?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Well is it definitely worth it? I'm a little cautious of the long term effects...like, is it doable to have a family later and stuff?
If it's just you, it can be an awesome career. You have to look at being an officer and military aviator in a similar light as being a doctor or lawyer. It's not a 9-5, it's a profession. There will be long hours and the Marines will ask a lot of you. Having a family definitely makes it harder, but not impossible. I'm going to assume you don't have a family now, so do what you want to do and the future details will sort themselves out. Do you know who's great at solving problems? Future you. Let her worry about them.

Also, Marine helo drivers have a shorter commitment so there's nothing wrong with going to flight school, serving for six years, and then getting out.

Driver

If it's just you, it can be an awesome career. You have to look at being an officer and military aviator in a similar light as being a doctor or lawyer. It's not a 9-5, it's a profession. There will be long hours and the Marines will ask a lot of you. Having a family definitely makes it harder, but not impossible. I'm going to assume you don't have a family now, so do what you want to do and the future details will sort themselves out. Do you know who's great at solving problems? Future you. Let her worry about them.

Also, Marine helo drivers have a shorter commitment so there's nothing wrong with going to flight school, serving for six years, and then getting out.
Six years doesn't seem bad at all! Plus however much time it takes to train...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

And yet you all still run into things......;)

Have another drink dude....

Yeah, I think you need your sarcasm meter recalibrated.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Six years doesn't seem bad at all! Plus however much time it takes to train...
Two years for flight school is a decent swag for helos. Could be as short as a year. Which puts you at 30 if you enter right out of college. My wife and I had our first kid at ~30. Also, that six years may include ~2yrs of shore duty which is a better time to have kids.

Fallonflyr

pilot
The math skills you need as a pilot are very basic, the math skills you need to qualify and to be competitive, that is a different story. If you are weak at math, you need to work on the skills you will need to be test ready. There are many threads and gouge on how to prepare on Air Warriors.

Driver

The math skills you need as a pilot are very basic, the math skills you need to qualify and to be competitive, that is a different story. If you are weak at math, you need to work on the skills you will need to be test ready. There are many threads and gouge on how to prepare on Air Warriors.
I'm thinking about taking another math class before I graduate to help with the test...definitely seems sensible

Driver

Two years for flight school is a decent swag for helos. Could be as short as a year. Which puts you at 30 if you enter right out of college. My wife and I had our first kid at ~30. Also, that six years may include ~2yrs of shore duty which is a better time to have kids.
That seems completely reasonable