• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Math in Aviation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Coefficient of Lift...Aero 1 stuff, but how in the world someone in Primary remembers that is beyond me. I'm in week 5 of API and some of that stuff is already a blur.
in my defense, I had to google it

I was trying to think of an example equation and couldn't remember it :confused:

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
UserName said:
I think its
L=1/2 *p * V^2 * s * CL

picklesuit said:
What the fuck is that?!

Coefficient of Lift...Aero 1 stuff, but how in the world someone in Primary remembers that is beyond me. I'm in week 5 of API and some of that stuff is already a blur.

Again I must echo the sentiment that this is completely unnecessary information when in the cockpit, but the above equation is for Lift, not the Coefficient of Lift. CL is the lift coefficient. I just had to QA the gouge written here.

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
Personally I think mental math is pretty helpful in the cockpit for those of us who haven't developed the SWAG skills and eyeball cal to know "that's about right." Absolutely they need to be approximations, but here are a few that helped me through flight school, or at least instrument flights.

10 * Mach number = miles per minute ground speed
Altitude to lose * miles per minute / miles to lose the altitude = Required VSI
Half your approach speed * 10 = VSI for a 3 degree glideslope
300 feet per mile = altitude checkpoints on GCAs
4000 FPM = VSI that penetration part of hi approaches are based off of
Altitude in thousands of feet * glide ratio / 6 = miles to glide
34 = seconds before lead has turned your offensive ACM hop into a defensive ACM hop
29 = percentage that get jets

Feel free to add your gouge that helps you as it will likely help others.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
From the we don't need no steeenkin' math dept:

Let's put this whole thing to an end ... hopefully ... unless you just wanna' keep wankin' & wankin' on it ...'

I led -- successfully -- a 25 plane ALPHA strike ... and EVERYONE hit the target ... w/ only my feeble mind and my very competent B/N to guide us ... and for the ultimate backup/crosscheck ... I relied on this:

libocall001.jpg

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Personally I think mental math is pretty helpful in the cockpit for those of us who haven't developed the SWAG skills and eyeball cal to know "that's about right." Absolutely they need to be approximations, but here are a few that helped me through flight school, or at least instrument flights.

1. 10 * Mach number = miles per minute ground speed
2. Altitude to lose * miles per minute / miles to lose the altitude = Required VSI
3 Half your approach speed * 10 = VSI for a 3 degree glideslope
4. 300 feet per mile = altitude checkpoints on GCAs
5. 4000 FPM = VSI that penetration part of hi approaches are based off of
6. Altitude in thousands of feet * glide ratio / 6 = miles to glide
7. 34 = seconds before lead has turned your offensive ACM hop into a defensive ACM hop
8. 29 = percentage that get jets

Feel free to add your gouge that helps you as it will likely help others.

That's why I love helos:

1. Mach number? Don't need to know a goddamn thing about it
2. Miles per minute? At max blast, we're doing 2mi/min, so I can fuck with the VSI by SWAGing it to get my descent, which even on an IFR hop will be minimal.
3. I can adjust my VSI from the standard 4-500 or so on ANY instrument approach without calculating.
4. I don't care about checkpoints on a GCA. I am usually "on course, on glidepath", I can adjust quickly at our approach speed, and if there is an ILS, I use that as a sanity check backup. Easy peasy.
5. Hi approaches? What are those? And if I ever see 4000fpm in my helo, I'm about to die.
6. What is gliding? We fall. If I can't see in my chin bubble or barely above, I'm not making it there.
7. ACM? What's that? We have toilet paper and strawberries, or cold, wet, crying jet guys in back.
8. Jets? I think the above shows why I don't care.

;) :D

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
That's why I love helos:

1. Mach number? Don't need to know a goddamn thing about it
2. Miles per minute? At max blast, we're doing 2mi/min, so I can fuck with the VSI by SWAGing it to get my descent, which even on an IFR hop will be minimal.
3. I can adjust my VSI from the standard 4-500 or so on ANY instrument approach without calculating.
4. I don't care about checkpoints on a GCA. I am usually "on course, on glidepath", I can adjust quickly at our approach speed, and if there is an ILS, I use that as a sanity check backup. Easy peasy.
5. Hi approaches? What are those? And if I ever see 4000fpm in my helo, I'm about to die.
6. What is gliding? We fall. If I can't see in my chin bubble or barely above, I'm not making it there.
7. ACM? What's that? We have toilet paper and strawberries, or cold, wet, crying jet guys in back.
8. Jets? I think the above shows why I don't care.

;) :D

Oh I forgot one.

2 = number of Ottowrote/Joboy/Bogey's posts that have been taken seriously. For those keeping score at home that is less than 0.1% of his posts. If memory serves me right the first was his heart warming story about rollerblading and coming out to his father. The second I believe was a reverent ode to Masterbates. I don't believe the two are related, but that is an amusing possibility.

:D All in fun.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Oh I forgot one.

2 = number of Ottowrote/Joboy/Bogey's posts that have been taken seriously. For those keeping score at home that is less than 0.1% of his posts. If memory serves me right the first was his heart warming story about rollerblading and coming out to his father. The second I believe was a reverent ode to Masterbates. I don't believe the two are related, but that is an amusing possibility.

:D All in fun.

I actually used to rollerblade home from Beverly Hills Highschool since my parents couldn't pick me up whilst all the rich kids drove their beamers home... and that one is serious. I think my rollerblades were purple-ish too. True story. :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... Beverly Hills Highschool ... all the rich kids drove their beamers home......
Uhhhh ... 'squeeze me ...

In Texas ... north Dallas, to be specific ... the 'rich' kids were driven to/from school in their parents' Mercedes ... the REALLY 'rich' kids' drove their OWN Mercedes ...

The 'Beamer' (sic) kids were neuvo-rich ... as such, they really didn't know the score at the end of the day ... and they were second rate in the final accounting on Prom Night ... :)

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I actually used to rollerblade home from Beverly Hills Highschool since my parents couldn't pick me up whilst all the rich kids drove their beamers home... and that one is serious. I think my rollerblades were purple-ish too. True story. :D

There was a kid in my senior class who got a brand spanking new Hummer H1 for his 17th birthday. M3's and M5's were commonplace.

I worked hard for my beat to shit 89 Buick Century. What a great car that was.

Status
Not open for further replies.