• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Master jet base to Pensacola?

trvsmrtn

pilot
I know that Jacksonville supposedly voted not to reopen Cecil, but the way I understand it, what they were actually voting on was whether or not to pursue the jet base returning to Cecil. The Navy can still decide to reopen it right?

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
JAMNWW- You are off your rocker. This wasn’t my idea. My whole point was that this was someone else’s idea. What was his name? That’s right Jeff Miller, UNITED STATES HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES. I’m sure he just thought of it one night drinking and blurted it out. He probably didn’t do any feasibility studies.

GOBER- I didn’t move to Pensacola when the Navy told me to. I know about the airspace. We (Oceana) don’t work over land, except FCLP’s and getting to ranges. Like I said, Whiting can stay; just move the “other” training commands somewhere else. I don’t know how you can say anything about driving to work; I drive 45 minutes each way as it is.

FLASH- Meridian wouldn’t work for me because of the lack of water. We are the Navy.

Obviously Rep. Miller is a fool for even thinking of this, and should probably lose his job. Maybe he should hire AW as his advisors. :icon_smil

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're fighting this battle alone. :icon_tong I've managed to learn one thing from this board: As a pensacola resident, I'm obviously too stupid to understand anything. ;)

HD

A mid vs. a nugget. That's like two retards fighting over who gets to smear feces all over themselves. :D

Brett

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
That's like two retards fighting over who gets to smear feces all over themselves. :D

Everyone is a winner. ;)
retard.gif

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
i'm not too sure pilot_man. while i agree that a quick left or right turnout on departure from NPA and within a couple minutes the Hornets would be out of the P'Cola airspace and not bothering any TRACOM sqd's, i don't think the W-155 is big enough for all the squadrons the Navy would bring. they'd have to expand the W-155 to make it work. having worked airspace coordination with the AF in the past, i dont think you could count on using their W-151 airspace or their bombing ranges at Eglin. they are pretty stingy with their airspace.

even though it'll be over a decade away, personally i think (and so do others within my community) that after the Corps transitions to an all JSF fixed wing fleet, it will move the squadrons from BFT up to Cherry Point for logistical purposes and give up BFT to the Navy. there's plenty of room for BFT to grow, plenty of airspace in the W-133 & W-157, and the locals like the military.

my 2¢

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
GOBER[sic]- I didn’t move to Pensacola when the Navy told me to. I know about the airspace. We (Oceana) don’t work over land, except FCLP’s and getting to ranges. Like I said, Whiting can stay; just move the “other” training commands somewhere else. I don’t know how you can say anything about driving to work; I drive 45 minutes each way as it is.

Yeah, catch is, there's a huge difference in parking on 64/264 as a freeway than driving Hwy 29 or Hwy 90 to head into P'cola from the outskirts. Regardless of where you live in the Tidewater area, there's infrastructure (schools, shopping, jobs for the spouse, etc.). Once you're out of P'cola, there's not much else. As for where to move the "other" tracoms, you'd just be rearranging deck chairs. It works well in P'cola because the heavy commercial traffic is low. Nothing like the prospect of a bunch of clown-paint props and jets dorking around a major metro area. Where else would we put them?

Obviously Rep. Miller is a fool for even thinking of this, and should probably lose his job. Maybe he should hire AW as his advisors. :icon_smil

No diff than any other politician. Just looking for jobs/notoriety wrt to his constituents. You'd have to fire 'em all. :)

MasterBates

chairs. It works well in P'cola because the heavy commercial traffic is low. Nothing like the prospect of a bunch of clown-paint props and jets dorking around a major metro area. Where else would we put them?

NAS Middle-Of-Nowhere Kansas

We could always pick up some ANG or AF base in a BRAC round.

Not all NAS's were near (or are near) land.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Still problems though - have to PCS all involved. In this case, find all new medical and PSD folks (not a bad idea actually). New barracks (if it's an ANG base) and public works. Find new contract maintainers since all the VT types are civilian locals. At what point is it more expensive to move?

Yeah, used to be plenty of inland bases. Case in point, I went to A school at NAS Memphis (NATTC Millington was attached to it) back in "the day" long before the Bureau moved down there from DC. They're trying to cut costs, but sometimes the alternative is just more expensive.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Look, it wasn’t my idea to move the base. I just said a bunch of dudes in API and the Academy shouldn’t be making statements that it will never happen.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Look, it wasn’t my idea to move the base. I just said a bunch of dudes in API and the Academy shouldn’t be making statements that it will never happen.

I like your feistiness and conviction, kid. Those attributes will serve you well in 2-3 years when you actually know what you're talking about. :D

Brett