• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Married BAH

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I can't tell you the pub but from personal experience.

2 married service members = single BAH for each.

2 married service members with kids = single BAH for 1 and married BAH for the other. You get to pick who gets which by deciding who claims the rug rate as a dependent.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For some reason, I want to say that two married military members don't both rate the BAH. I think only one can get it.

MasterBates

2 married LTs, 1 Pilot @ HSL, 1 NFO at VP, Both get single BAH. No Kids.

Of course, SWOs would try to take less pay.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty much talking out my ass on this one. The guy I relieved for my first divo tour was married to another SWO on another ship. I never really thought to ask him how the whole BAH thing was worked out.

flynsail

pilot
Can anyone tell me the pub that states that two married active members both rate BAH?

From the BAH website:

Q28: My wife and I are both service members and we have two children. Why is it that only one of us can collect full rate BAH and the other single BAH? Why couldn't we each claim one child and collect full with-dependent BAH?

The rules governing allocation of dependents for BAH are specified in the JFTR, Chapter 10. The rules refelct both the law and policy of the Services

It will probably tell you that you both receive BAH w/o dependents. There is some caveat about one or both of you in government quarters. If you have a child, the senior member will receive BAH w/ dependents and the other one, BAH w/o. It has been a long time since I have read it, so I may be wrong.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Pretty much talking out my ass on this one. The guy I relieved for my first divo tour was married to another SWO on another ship. I never really thought to ask him how the whole BAH thing was worked out.

It changed sometime in the last few years. I thought the same thing and one day one of the pilots at my last squadron mentioned her BAH w/ her Marine husband. She even found the rules to make sure she was good, and sure enough, just like flynsail said.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
From the BAH website:

There is some caveat about one or both of you in government quarters.

This is where the single guy gets the shaft. For TAD orders to things like CECOS which is a 3-month school, I stopped receiving BAH while I was living in the BOQ, but my friend who was married to a SWO still got his BAH.

skittles215

With dependents One member BAH with dependents, one single rate. Without dependents each gets single BAH. (Speaking from having read everything in the BAH exceptions booklet and knowing married active duty couples)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With dependents One member BAH with dependents, one single rate. Without dependents each gets single BAH. (Speaking from having read everything in the BAH exceptions booklet and knowing married active duty couples)

Let's see if we can get 12 more people to restate what has already been said several times.

Brett

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Let's see if we can get 12 more people to restate what has already been said several times.

You asked for it. So, I'll be the first of the 12....With dependents One member BAH with dependents, one single rate. Without dependents each gets single BAH. :D

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Guy and gal both with dependents (from different marriages) who live together? (yes I have seen this)

Status
Not open for further replies.