• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marriage

Onyssius

I'm actually a wannabe aviator in API at the moment, and I'm hoping to get married before too long. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on a good time to do it during training, or if I should just wait til after I'm all done. All I would really need is like a week, but I'm afraid it might be hard to acquire.

Bevo16

pilot
When is the baby due?

Just kidding.

Most commands are pretty understanding if you have a big wedding planned out and you can usually get leave.

If you are just looking to do something small and the date does not matter, check into your primary squadron and let them know what the deal is. I'll bet that they will give you a week to get everything done. Right before RI's is not a good time.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Bevo,

Sounds like good advice. I've actually set a date, and it looks as though it'll be sometime during primary for me.

Just hoping its not at a juncture where taking a week isn't feasible.

Onyssius, I know a few people who married during flight training, and said it actually helped them. A coastie I know told me by the end of primary, his wife knew the EP's for the T-34 better than he did.

Hope all goes well for you and good luck. If you do decide to get married during training, make sure she know what she's getting into.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
I would recommend you do it sooner rather than later. I know a lot of guys that tried to get a week off for their wedding and got slapped down. Most of them got the Friday before and the Monday after off but that was it. If you can do it in-between switching commands, that would be ideal.

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
I would caution you not to plan something that requires a week during flight training, and not to try to plan something where you are "guessing" when you will be between phases. You don't even now what track you will select yet, there is no predicting how long the wait is between phases and there is no time built in to the training pipeline to give you a week off. The standard has been Friday after last duty to monday morning first flight and that is it. On very rare occasions we have given guys all of Friday off as a travel day, but it is the exception not the rule. All students are briefed on check-in that their job for the next six months is flight training, and that except for in the most extreme circumstances they are not to expect leave, nor will it be granted. This is not to be mean....this is due to the requirements set forth by empty seats in the fleet that need to be filled. The Tracoms have a certain number of seats that they have to fill in the varios communities. Primary takes about 6months or so if you have no delays, and then each advanced can take anywhere from 6 months to a year depending on what you select. These times don't include pool time inbetween phases. In the time you are training in these phases, you are scheduled for the most part every day for something, so it is hard to keep you on track to complete your phase on time if you are granted a lot of leave. In short...this is a tough time to plan a wedding, and unless you are planning on being able to do all that needs to be done over a weekend off for you, then I would seriously consider a different time.

KimberlyD

Onyssius, why would you need a week to get married? Honestly, I would advise a JOP wedding during training & hold the big shindig later.

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
My husband and I were married during the FRS. They gave him Friday/Tuesday off (Monday was a holiday). He flew in late Thursday night, spent Friday getting a haircut, buying groomsmen gifts, picking up the liquor for the reception, going to the rehearsal, and then having a bachelor party that night. The wedding was Saturday night. We spent Sunday opening gifts and visiting with family that had flown in for it. He flew back on Monday so he would have Tuesday to get back in study mode. We took our honeymoon 5 months later (in between the FRS and his first duty station).

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Crap..I was on shore duty and got a weekend off from my job. Was in the middle of $175m simulator negotiations with McD and boss said take the honeymoon later, so we did.

I got just two words of advice: "Don't do it."

...(just kidding...) :)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I got married, I was stationed in San Dog. Wife was in Florida playing wedding planner. I flew out on Thursday, married on Saturday, BBQ on Sunday, fly home on Monday, Underway on Tuesday. I haven't been home since.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
If your worried about when you'd be able to take leave you could always do it around christmas. I was told that alot of commands give leave pretty easy around then anyways. I'm in A-pool right now and that's what my fiance and I are currently planning on this next holiday.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
$hit...I guess I'll add my hat to the ring and open myself for Brett's ridicule. I'm planning on getting married early this fall before I ship to TBS. I figure it's better to do it before I go active or wait until I get to the fleet. Hey, at least as a brown bagger at TBS I can rely on the power being on at home. I hear that's a bit of problem down there these days.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cate said:
Blah blah blah, "Women are dream-killers," blah blah blah, "Get a prenup," blah blah blah, "Don't get married until you've gotten some southeast Asian tail," blah blah, "Don't get married, 'cause women have cooties," blah.

No sweat, Brett, I took care of it.
That about covers it. Any questions? ;)

Brett

Jameski

Samsonite... I was WAY off!!
This is all good advise... I haven't even gone to OCS yet, let alone API, and my girlfriend and I have both been talking/thinking a lot about whether we would want to get married before OCS/API/Primary or after it all... the nice thing is that she is going to finish her teaching degree at the University of West Florida right there in P-cola so at least we won't be a whole country apart.