• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marksmanship

GroundPounder

Did they actively point it at the person and pull the trigger to "demonstrate" the safety, or did it happen because they weren't watching where they had it pointed?
My recollection is that the first round went into the floor, and fragments of the bullet went in the guy's leg. The shock and surprise of the AD caused the shooter to have another AD that hit the victim in the leg. I actually tried to find it on line, but couldn't , it was 88ish ?? in a company armory at Harmony Church.

SteveHolt!!!

pilot
Which makes things worse.
The story is just generally insane, but this is the part that actually annoys me. Apparently his campaign thinks the positive spin is "I lied about this to prevent an investigation." How is that better than "I made an oopsie with my gun?"

number9

Contributor
I just can't get over someone in combat arms feeling the need to lie about not getting wounded when they were wounded. What gives?

Random8145

You must be new to politics! Every national politician has a back story full of lies, half-truths, truths hidden behind twists, turns, and dead ends and even some made up stuff.

As for the gun story…he is covering for someone who fucked up.

Last, minor, point on military decorations. Military people don’t “win” the Purple Heart. “Win” is a common term but the better word is “awarded” or “presented” since it isn’t typically a competition to get killed or injur ft
Yes, I hold people like SEALs though to a higher ethical standard compared to your average politician.

number9

Contributor
Yes, I hold people like SEALs though to a higher ethical standard compared to your average politician.
I know this isn't exactly what you said, but people shouldn't vote for candidates just because they served.

While we'd be better off with more former service members in Congress, generally speaking I'd rather a qualified non-prior than an unqualified veteran.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I know this isn't exactly what you said, but people shouldn't vote for candidates just because they served.

While we'd be better off with more former service members in Congress, generally speaking I'd rather a qualified non-prior than an unqualified veteran.

Please elaborate on what you mean by "qualified" in this sense. For example, the Constitution only requires a Member to be at least twenty-five years of age, a United States citizen for seven years, and an inhabitant of the state from which he or she is elected at the time of election.

What further qualifications do you find important?

number9

Contributor
Please elaborate on what you mean by "qualified" in this sense. For example, the Constitution only requires a Member to be at least twenty-five years of age, a United States citizen for seven years, and an inhabitant of the state from which he or she is elected at the time of election.

What further qualifications do you find important?
A basic knowledge of civics and economics would be a great start, as would a willingness to compromise in order to get what's best for their constituents.

Random8145

You said “average politician” though. Why should any politician get a pass on ethics?
Well I don't mean anyone should get an actual pass on ethics, just that I would expect the SEAL to be a better person. Like if a politician is a lawyer and gets caught doing something crooked, I will probably think, "Well that's typical," whereas if a SEAL is caught doing it, then I find it more surprising.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Well I don't mean anyone should get an actual pass on ethics, just that I would expect the SEAL to be a better person. Like if a politician is a lawyer and gets caught doing something crooked, I will probably think, "Well that's typical," whereas if a SEAL is caught doing it, then I find it more surprising.
I still don’t follow your logic. Lawyers in Congress can have a lower ethical standard than SEALs in Congress?