• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Uniforms cont.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I was looking through some old threads for info regarding my commissioning uniform. There was alot of good info. Mainly the advice was to stay away from the Marine Shop. They are alot more pricey, and some of the items in the package seemed uneccessary (a long sleeve collarless shirt for under a blue blouse?).

Regardless, I've decided to commission in blues and have a question about the Sam Browne belt. The Marine shop lists theirs at $140 and the MCX at $70. Does anyone have any insight as to the quality differences between the two?

Also, why is a garrison cover $130 at the Marine Shop when I can get a frame, vinyl cover, gold chin strap, EGA and post screws for about $85 through the exchange. Again, is the Marine Shop just trying to get one over on a boot ass lieutenant or is there a significant difference there?

Any help would be appreciated on those two items specifically. Thanks and Semper Fi, Doc

HueyCobra8151

pilot
As for your barracks cover (garrison cover is the "piss cutter"), that is the only uniform item I own that I bought from the Marine Shop. It looks and fits much better than one assembled by yourself.

Edit: IMO

FLY_USMC

pilot
IMO, here's what I would do. I personally think the Marine Shop does a much better job tailoring your Blues and your Alphas than the PX does, BUT, their crap is way too expensive, SO. I would get your Blues from the Marine Shop at TBS, but buy NONE of their accessories. Buy all your rank, sword, shoes, undershirt, EVERYTHING ELSE from the PX. BTW, the Sam Brown Belts are the same from both, just the Marine Shop jacks the price up. You can't buy from both at OCS because your fittings and crap are all so hectic, so I just got my Alphas from the PX, they are fine, took them a little longer to get them fit right, but oh well. This is exactly how I did it, and I'm very pleased with the results, and my decision. As for the Barrack's Covers, I have the PX put it together yourself model, I think it looks perfectly fine and the bill is more "curved" on it, which I like. My buddy has both the green and the white covers both from the Marine shop, his cover will sit almost completely flat on a table, almost zero curve in the bill, which I personally think looks ****ty. Other than that, that's exactly what I'd do, AND, don't buy the trench coat, but get the wooley pulley for the field. I wouldn't buy the Tanker Coat either, but when Capt Orient tells you he bought it and never had the opportunity to wear it, I would believe him, except I've actually had the opportunity to wear it like 3-4 times since the Navy and the Air Force actually wear the equivalent like it's going out of style, at least when it's cold here in training command land.

phrogpilot73

Also, whether you buy from the Marine Shop or the PX, the white collarless shirt is part of the dress blue uniform. It's so you can see french cuffs sticking out... I know it's silly, but it is part of the uniform. I agree about the covers being MUCH better from the Marine Shop, but I wouldn't bother buying the green garrison. In 7 years of comissioned service, I've worn it this many times: ZERO. I would buy from the PX (I bought from the Marine Shop), except for cover. The biggest reason is 4 years down the road, when you need to get your blues/alphas tailored (and you will) you'll find that the PX doesn't cut away the "extra" material, whereas the Marine Shop does. Then you'll find yourself buying all new uniforms...

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
(a long sleeve collarless shirt for under a blue blouse?).

I was under the impression that shirt was required, but myself and others included have never worn the thing. The only part that shows are the sleves/cuff links, i've heard of people that had the tailors sew just the sleves into the coat.
As I looked through the regs, I couldn't find where it said that that shirt was required - anybody know?

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/PAGES/Uniform Regs Chapters/Uniform Regs Index.htm

phrogpilot73

I was under the impression that shirt was required, but myself and others included have never worn the thing. The only part that shows are the sleves/cuff links, i've heard of people that had the tailors sew just the sleves into the coat.
As I looked through the regs, I couldn't find where it said that that shirt was required - anybody know?

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/PAGES/Uniform Regs Chapters/Uniform Regs Index.htm
Check out table 9-1, Minimum requirements for male officers. You are required to own it. Further reading, it's at the wearer's option to wear cufflinks with khaki or white shirts. But if you have to own it, why not wear it? From personal experience, it's hotter to wear, but it gives a buffer between the "dammits" holding your ribbons/badges/medals/wings, whatever, and your chest.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Thanks to everyone for their help. One more question: does the NFCU still offer the commissioning loan? An old thread (Feb of last year) said it was no longer offered. However I could swear that the NFCU guy told my OCS company that they still offer the $5k at a low interest rate to newly commissioned lieutenants. Thanks again and Semper Fi, Doc

Oh, Regarding the Jewelry Box: Is it worth it to have the pretty box for all the hardwear?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ok here is some things I learned the hard way. I bought my uniforms at the Marine shop and the quality is definitely better, they do a great job.
Where they really screw you is material for alterations. I have been about a 42-44 my whole life and when it came time to let the Blues out a little what did the Marine shop give me but a 40 let all the way out so I could not get them tailored. This is a screwjob that they think will make you buy another set from them.
This pissed me off so much that I had to buy a new set and yes they are from the exchange, noticiable difference in quality but screw the Marine shop. When it is time for mess dress I will also go with the exchange.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I wouldn't buy the Tanker Coat either, but when Capt Orient tells you he bought it and never had the opportunity to wear it, I would believe him

I believe I actually saw Capt. Orient wear his tanker jacket, chilly day during Seniors.

I really loved his classes, easily the best academics instructor there.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
dont buy the tanker jacket, get your wings and wear the leather one.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
dont buy the tanker jacket, get your wings and wear the leather one.
Roger That.

It seems like the thing to do is get my blues for commissioning from MCX, maybe my cover from the Marine Shop. The rest of it I'll take care of at TBS.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
or get the Blues from the Marine shop but let them know youa re on to their little game and a get a jacket that has some room to let it out, you will need it someday. covers are covers but yes take care of the rest at TBS, no need to buy that stuff early.
Congrats by the way.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Thank You, It's been a long three years in the making. I feel that it's perhaps not conscienable to buy a large dollar item from a company that is likely out to **** me at the earliest possible moment.

Not one person I've spoken with has said they've had an overall good experience with the Marine Shop. Do they know they're widely known as schiesters?

Semper Fi, Doc

Crowbar

None
don't buy the trench coat

The all weather coat is a required item. Buy it.

I wouldn't buy the Tanker Coat either

I agree there. The tanker jacket is one of those things that comes in handy in certain places/billets. If you wear service/dress uniforms all the time it's good to have, otherwise it's not really necessary. I made it a long time before I needed to buy one.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The all weather coat is a required item. Buy it.

Blah... I don't own one and haven't had a use for one in 4 years. If I get staff job where I'm having to wear Alphas or something, I'll but it... till then, the leather flight jacket will suffice.

Sorry, but I disagree... don't buy the all weather coat. It's expensive, looks stupid, and you'll rarely, if ever, have a need for it.