• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Selection Officer

JayPull85

I am starting at University of Kentucky in the fall. My original plan was to do AFROTC. I am going to be getting shoulder surgery so I will have to wait until January if i decide to continue with it. However I believe now I want to TRY and fly for the Marine Corps.

When should I contact the selection officer?

Will the selection officer look at grades?

Also would you all recommend Offiver Candidates Course or Platoon Leaders Course?

When would I take the ASTB?

Thanks

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
When should I contact the selection officer?
As soon as possible. The sooner that you can secure an aviation slot for yourself, the better. The process is a bit longer to become a SNA/SNFO (Student Naval Aviator/Flight Officer) than to just become a ground officer.

Will the selection officer look at grades?
Yes, but I can't remember what the min GPA was for application. I wanna say maybe a 2.5 or 2.0?? It's been a while since I helped out with the OSO.

Also would you all recommend Offiver Candidates Course or Platoon Leaders Course?
Depends on what you're into. I did PLC and it can be nice to have a break from training, but considering that you have another six weeks looming over your head can really get to be an elephant on your back. Besides, once you are six weeks into PLC, it almost seems retarded to have to come back later to do half of it again when you are already in shape now (personal experience). When the liberty calls hit, all you have to do is focus on making it from weekend to weekend and it helps get by a bit easier.

When would I take the ASTB?
As soon as you can also. If you don't make it on the first go around, then it gives you plenty of time to study up instead of pushing it right to the end. See answer 1.

Just know, as I am sure that you have probably seen on different posts since you are somewhat familiar with the process, that being a Marine Officer is first and a pilot second. You might not know exactly the difference right now, but they will drill it into you during OCS and again at TBS. You should be there to support those hard chargers on the ground vs get to fly some sexy aircraft (which the Corps does have a few of). Hang around a few Marines and ask them to elaborate and you will get a better picture.

Lastly, on the AFROTC deal. Once you accept your scholarship (or whatever they call it), you are LOCKED in and must serve your time with them or feel the pain of having to pay it all back. The Marines will let you get all the way to the day of your commissioning and let your respectfully decline (except if you take a certain Tuition Assistance program, but talk to the OSO about this). The last the the Corps wants is a leader who isn't fully committed to their Marines or his mission.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
Lastly, on the AFROTC deal. Once you accept your scholarship (or whatever they call it), you are LOCKED in and must serve your time with them or feel the pain of having to pay it all back. The Marines will let you get all the way to the day of your commissioning and let your respectfully decline (except if you take a certain Tuition Assistance program, but talk to the OSO about this). The last the the Corps wants is a leader who isn't fully committed to their Marines or his mission.

Agreed on the Marine "commitment" issue. ROTC scholarships aren't as binding as they look, though, so don't be too scared of them.

ROTC and PLC are totally different beasts. Talk to people in both programs to get an idea of what the college experience is like for each. I switched from over three years in AFROTC to commissioning through PLC Combined. If I could do it all again, I'd probably do PLC from the start. PLC is a great program and it works for the Marine Corps because they kick your @ss in the summer and then at TBS rather than doing it during the school year, which will help you focus on academics and some fun extracurriculars. ROTC scholarships are a pretty sweet deal though, so make sure to look fully into NROTC as well.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Like Spitfire I tried AFROTC first... I hated it. Thats just me, but I far prefer being in a branch of the service that is more elite and more combat oriented. 'nuff said.

I did PLC, however hindsight is 20/20 and I'd do OCC if I could do it all over again. OCC is spread out and you get libo for half of it, pace is a little more managable. PLC-seniors you feel like a chicken with your head cut off because they cram so much into the last 6 weeks. just my 2c. What previos posters have said is spot on, contact your OSO and review your options.