• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine OSO in DC area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

froghead1

Reaper
I finally got an email back from the OSO. I sent a list of questions to him/her, so we'll see what I get in response. Thanks

chinamonk

Frog-

Capt W was a female captain when i was there, she is at another station and has been replaced by Capt. R. She was amazing, don't know much about Capt. R. I will say the SNCOs are some of the most outstanding marines I have ever met in my past 2 years since I first contacted their office. The same Gunny should still be there and is a PT animal and will bend over backwards to help someone become a marine officer if you show you want it bad enough.

Make sure you have your stuff in order and you're in psychotically good shape. I ran a PFT with the candidates-to-be after i was commissioned for about a year and about 10 of the 25 people there were running the 3 mile in under 18 minutes. It is an EXTREMELY competitive office, they have the best pick of people out of probably any Marine OSO in the country- extremely bright kids from the entire DC-VA-MD area colleges (Georgetown, George Wash, UMD, Hopkins, some UVA) who are either in military families or are exposed to the beltway military establishment.

They did a great job preparing me for OCS, had regular weekly PT sessions, briefings from new and current marine officers about what the job and lifestyle is like, tours at some of the military bases and installations, as well as review sessions for the academics of OCS. They are probably the best OSO office anywhere to prepare you for OCS, some of the candidates I talked to said they met their recruiter once or twice and just got shipped off on a plane with no clue what was going on.

froghead1

Chinamonk,
I emailed Capt R, so hopefully I'll get a positive response back. I could use some motivation to do PT, it's not easy in the city, not knowing anyone else that is preparing for this.

austinfalnes

I just thought I'd weigh in on the Hyattsvile Navy Office...

I applied for OCS in INTEL/SWO/CRYPTO

My experience is similar to Brooke's, i had OAR of 50, AQR 5. Chief told me my scores were competitive, and led me to believe that my whole package was strong. But after reading some of the competiton on this site, it was pretty obvious that if I was selected, it would be because they had to fill some quota of lower scores.

Anyway I bet Brooke and I worked with the same Chief. Cause the description she gave is exactly what I would give. Disappointing for sure.

In the end, I found that I was not selected for OCS, but Cheif has of course not informed me, and is always out of the office.

Anyway...it's all water under the bridge, but I'm glad to know that others have had the same experience with Hyattsville... It sucks that their are so few OPO's.

I think I'm gonna enlist instead, and get out of the civilian world altogether. I'll resubmit for OCS soon...See you guys in the fleet.

reapergm

How far away is Hyattesville from College Park. I went to UMD. I contacted that office back then, but told them I wanted to wait until after college to pursue. 10 out of 25 in under 18?!?! THATS INSANE! I mean hell, thats some competition. One thing I have noticed though is that some offices have so many available slots and some have hardly any(mine). So I am thinking about going back to CP and going through their office too. I think my OSO has the best intentions, really. But he is 2 hours away from me now. I havent spoken to him in over a month. I dont ever speak to him. There are never any events, no PT,... nothing. I am doing all the work myself. I dont mind it at all... but I wouldnt mind a SGT or OSO trying to help me reach my goals either. I wish that I could be in better contact thats all. I dont know how he can write a recommendation for someone he doesnt know. That scares the hell out of me. Especially considering I havent worked this hard, or wanted anything so bad in my entire life. I dont know how to show that to him. Anyhow, Im out... had to vent. -reaper

rsilvy

My $.02 -

OSO Hyattsville is the most squared away Recruiting Office out there. Their Gunny is a PT animal as was stated above and is always making sure Candidates are reporting and keeping up with their PT. PFTs there on Saturday mornings are very motivating. The Candidates from the area conduct themselves very professionally and are very serious about becoming Marine Officers. I've run my best PFTs when all Candidates from the area have gotten together at the Office. At first, it was super intimidating because I didn't take applying seriously at first, thinking I could just squeek by and that would be enough. I was wrong. A candidate who was scheduled to ship to PLC Srs from Hyattsville ran a PFT that was not competitive and the Gunny let him know it while letting the rest of us hear what would happen to us if we didn't get out act straight. OOO-RAHHH! I attend UMD about 5 minutes down the road. The Gunny said he was being transferred out of th eOffice at the end of January and that's disappointing. Anyone else from the D.C area out of the Hyattsville office?

froghead1

Ok, I emailed the OSO in Hyattsville, and he replied saying I could email him any questions I had. So, I sent him a list of questions, but go no response. I tried to call, but he hasn't called back either. Whether it was because I mentioned going through the Navy application process as well as looking at the Corps or the fact that I may not have the numbers to become a Marine officer, not returning my calls is just unprofessional. Has anyone experienced anything like this? This is a big decision, and I want to weigh my options and determine where I would best fit, whether it be Navy, Marines, or neither.

riley

No matter how you feel you are being treated it will always be better than the Air Force (no professionalism what so ever). Give the OSO the benefit of the doubt until they prove over and over they are unreliable.

stevew

About 2 or 3 years ago when I was first considering the military, I called an AF recruiter and told him that I was interested in being a pilot. He asked me if I had any flight time, and I responded that I did not. His next comment was that I couldn't be a pilot in the AF because I had never been behind the controls of an airplane, knowing that my life was in my hands and that I could die at any moment. That was the point where I saw what the AF had to offer and realized it wasn't for me. Needless to say I thought the guy was a nutcase. Nevermind that he could have been more encouraging and offer me suggestions on how I could go about putting together a competitive app. But our conversation never even made it that far.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
My case is the exact same as steve's. I tried posting it earlier, but something happened and "connection timed out" or whatever. Anyways, I talked to an AF recruiter at career day. I knew I would like to fly, so the AF is the first place I looked. I told the recruiter what I would like to do, and she told me that without flight time that I would be wasting mine and her time applying. Yep, that was my first impression of the AF. Not to worry because the Marine OSO was right down the aisle.

froghead1

Do they want me to show up at the office, to prove that I am serious about this? It sure seems that way. No calls, no emails. Even if they don't want me, email me and say "we don't want your lousy self."

chinamonk

froghead- as a Marine officer who came from hyattsville, I'm very surprised at what you've described. I susupect there must be something going on down there- maybe some of the Marine SNCOs (who handle most of the nitty-gritty scheduling and meetings) may be getting transferred or are being replaced with new folks. It doesn't sound like them at all. If you live in the area, I wouldn't see any problem with you just going down there and paying them a visit. Otherwise if you are still not getting good service, try another OSO from around your area.

riley

If you go there (speaking from a professional business perspective) - call them first - if no one answers, tell them that you are interested and will be at their station on X day at X hour. (this is much better, more professional, than just showing up un-announced and saying, "Here I am!" - also, if they won't be in, they hopefully will have the courtesy to return your call and let you know)

reapergm

Nada... done with College Park. Im back up here in NY. I go through the Albany office, although I spend alot of time with the Manhattan office too. Albany is 2 hours away, Manhattan is 30 mins. Im still going at it for 187. Im just waiting to hear the results of my flight physical, and hoping desperately that it will come in time for the boards. I have a new Capt, and hes pretty cool. The Gunny still does most of the work, but he just retired. So I guess Ill see what happens. Good luck to ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.