• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattr

I'm not sure how you go about getting the Marine Option? Do you just request to be in the Marine option or is it decided on grades and performance? Also, if you are selected for the Marine option, who do you train with in the summer?

cadetgirl

I am not sure, but I think your training while at USNA is the same whether you pick Marine option or Navy. When you graduate you then undergo a period of training to be a Marine Corps officer. At the academy you train with everyone else during the summer.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
The summer before your senior year you'll do something called Leatherneck. This takes the place of one of your summer cruises. You'll do down to Quantico and have a mini-TBS sort of deal. Other than that, the selection is just like everything else there. Mostly it's based on grades. If there's only one piece of advise I can give someone who is going to the Academy it's this: Get good grades!

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
With the Marines grades don't count so much. A lot of it has to do with your performance at Leatherneck and how many Marines on the yard know you well enough to stand up for you. There have been many cases where the bottom of the class gets marines. As for the maximum percentage limit that was discovered as being nothing more than a memo between the Commandant of the Marine Corps and the Super Intendent of the academy god knows how many years ago. A lot of people from 2004 wanted to go marine and they increases the numbers to unclude everyone the marines saw fit to be marines. There are plenty of training oportunities for marine wannabees at the academy. All you got to do is join the Semper Fi society and you can roll in the mud as much as you like.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Speaking as someone who graduated and went (back) Marines, the information's good to go. While a lot of warfare communities rely heavily on USNA-based performance grades and academic grades, the Marine selection process is a lot more thorough. The board (made up of Marine Officers and one GYSGT/SSGT stationed at USNA) takes just about everything into account, but one of the best things really is to be seen and have your desire to be a Marine known by the Marines assigned to instructor duty there. If you're a good person, then they'll vouch for you, but the opposite is true, too.

By the way, rjack, you're a punk. See you in the pool.

cadetgirl

Marine officers are a special breed. I have a lot of respect for them. On the leadership scale, they are "off the chart".

Semper Fi!

usnafury

Hoorah! I work out with the local Marines @ their recruiting office every week. It's been quite an experience having a former DI run PT. I love it, though. As I've said before, there's nothing more motivating than a snarling Gunny telling you to "Get your f*cking legs up!" Insert spit flying and a face 2 inches away from your own, and you'll get the picture. :) But I wouldn't do anything but Marine Option, if I got accepted. I'm also applying for Marine Option NROTC. Are any of you up for the 1st Board that's meeting right now?

ajgeng

the additional marine quota for 2004

The navy has too many JO's and the Marines don't have enough, plus the sup wanted as many people as possible to get their top choice, so they (the sup and Gen Hagee) increased the number of people who went marines. Traditionally, up to 16 2/3% of each class can go marines, which works out to approx. 165 and they let about 185-195 go marines from '04. They also gave more SEAL spots this last year (they took the billets from the lateral transfer numbers) FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.