• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsteach

So if you are in a NROTC unit, and you choose to go the marine route, the USMC will promise you a spot in flight school? Shed some light on this issue for me. Thanks everyone.
Oh....and what is the process of choosing the marine option? Is it as simple as signing a paper?

farkle84

i know that when i was in ROTC i started out Navy with the intentions of switching to Marine. after a semester i tried to switch over but they would not allow me to, plus the Navy offered me a 3 year scholarship. but i did neither and went to Marine Corps OCS. but i think you have to apply for Marine and hopefully they can give you a scholarship.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
you can also apply for a marine NROTC package instead of navy before you get there. After that, if you are navy and want to change, you would need to get the MOIs approval/recommendation and then they will submit a package for you. It is not guaranteed though.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just like bch said, if you went in as Navy, switching to Marine is a matter or approval and application. It's a whole seperate scholarship. You CAN get them to do an aviation contract, but the particulars I do not know.

heerothewizard

While on the topic of Marine Option NROTC..... is there any special summer training/classes/PT stuff you have to do to go Marine Option? Or do just get the normal PROTRAMID, etc. like everybody else?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NROTC is as follows: 1st summer is CORTRAMID like everyone else. 2nd summer can be combined arms exercise, amphibious operations training, or mountain warfare. The 3rd summer is OCS like farkle84 said. Your NROTC classes will be different than the Navy types, and at least in my unit, the Marines had an extra PT session.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
FlyNavy is right, but a lot depends on the unit. Not all of our marine options, did marine like stuff on their 2nd class cruise. Some went on navy cruises on ships or subs.
At the unit I went to, the marines had a semper fi, meeting once a week, semper fi PT and humps and stuff like that. They had to commit a bit more time than the Navy guys.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
don't they allow students to apply for both of the rotc's now though? fnrotc and one for m-nrotc... at least that's what i heard from this kid who is attending suny maritime right now...

jbackvt

I recently picked up my Marine Option scholarship. My GYSGT put me in for an aviation package and I got approved. A 4.0 and a 300 pft score really helped. In order to get the guaranteed avaitaion you must first past the ASTB. Then you will have to get a flight physical. Once you past the physical you will be guaranteed an aviation slot. You can know if you will be flying as early as your sophmore year in college. As for me I am in the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets and I will be taking the ASTB this Spring. Many of my marine buds have gotten switched over to Marine Options from their Navy Options. It is hard to do, but can be done.

Semper Fi
Back

yeah my unit's got a semper fi too, but it's open to anybody. Part of that may be b/c Marines are HEAVILY outnumbered here initially...at least till they meet our gunny. He has a way of...motivating people.
But our entering class is about 2 marines out of 22 NROTC mids.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Marine Option is a bit more time and PT intensive. The Marines are a bit more stingy with their monies as well. We had 7 people put in for Marine Option Scholarship and only 3 picked them up. You cannot simultaniously apply for Navy and Marine OPtion Scholarships....it's one or the other. And depending on the ROTC unit, the Marine Options will usually do more than the Navy folks. The Navy and Marine OPtions will take the same classes for the first two years, and go through CORTRAMID after their Freshman year. After the Sophomore year, the marine options are different.
Hope this helps!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

ouiserbynature

I'm torn between the Navy and the Marine's officer programs. Does anyone know the age limit for the Marines? Does anyone have any advice or suggests for choosing a program?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Good luck with that one, almost everyone one of us will say to go to whatever service we are a member of.

One thing I would look at. There is always the chance you may not get a flight billet. Look at the other communities that each service has to offer. For instance, if you can't fly in the navy your choices out of ROTC are going to be SWO, Sub, Specops/Specwar.

The marines can offer a bit more variety, (I know I am missing a lot, but I am sure a marine in here will help) infantry, armor, arty, comms...

Another question you can ask yourself, is what are some bases that appeal to you (does not mean you will get to go to them) as far as where marines go and where the Navy goes.

Goodluck (And pick the Navy LOL)

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
I was in the same shoes, a college programmer bouncing between blue and green. Get your GPA above a 3.0, it’s the unwritten rule. By the time I picked up advanced standing, I went the PLC route because of the tuition reimbursement and because the Navy sucks! Whichever route you choose, don’t fixate on the scholarship. Get your degree, and then there are a lot of commissioning programs on both sides. Some while in college, and some after you get your degree.
If you are worried about the age thing, it may be wise to talk with PLC, because you can be locked into the contract while still in school. Both sides have waivers for everything if you ask about 500 times, and if they need people. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
My last two cents is persistence. No matter who you are, or what program you choose, there are always going to be hurdles to get there. Originally, I had flat feet, so they said I couldn’t go green. Fuk it, I went green and graduated top 10% of OCS, don’t let anything stop you.

Status
Not open for further replies.