• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine OCS or PLC?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Nukon, I'm sorry to semi-necro a thread, but can I ask for a clarification here?

Is it the case that PLC - 10 week isn't an option for sophomores now, but that those in a Junior status can still sign for PLC and do a 10 week OCS?

My first reading of this post scared me a bit in that I thought that it meant "No 10 week OCS/PLC period." and thus that an applicant can only do PLC-Soph or OCC. I'm sort of "in between" schools in that I'm accepted at a 4 year and my sophomore/junior status is pretty malleable based on credit earned over the next 4-6 semesters. If the above "sophomore or bust" thing were true, I'd have to start fighting for soph. status right now.

Thanks.

Go talk to an OSO. There has been a lot of "stuff" going on with Marine Officer programs as of late. Also, MarineOCS.com is a pretty good resource about... wait for... Marine OCS.

Christopher323

Stupid cunning and sly; bear considerable watching
Go talk to an OSO. There has been a lot of "stuff" going on with Marine Officer programs as of late. Also, MarineOCS.com is a pretty good resource about... wait for... Marine OCS.
Thanks Swanee, I'll definitely look into that site and post any definitive updates my OSO sends my way.

nukon

pilot
Nukon, I'm sorry to semi-necro a thread, but can I ask for a clarification here?

Is it the case that PLC - 10 week isn't an option for sophomores now, but that those in a Junior status can still sign for PLC and do a 10 week OCS?

My first reading of this post scared me a bit in that I thought that it meant "No 10 week OCS/PLC period." and thus that an applicant can only do PLC-Soph or OCC. I'm sort of "in between" schools in that I'm accepted at a 4 year and my sophomore/junior status is pretty malleable based on credit earned over the next 4-6 semesters. If the above "sophomore or bust" thing were true, I'd have to start fighting for soph. status right now.

Thanks.

I just stepped off Brown Field four days ago.. the only 10 week company that was there this summer was Charlie (OCC). I'm not sure exactly what you mean by PLC-Soph (PLC-C as a sophomore?).

Echo Swanee, get in touch with your OSO, and check out MarineOCS.com - I'd say those are the only resources you really need for OCS prep.

Finally, I will also stir the pot a bit here and share this nugget.. the Battalion Commander of OCS asked virtually every member of the training battalion what they thought of the six week program (is it enough time? what would you change?), and, "Would you still have come if you only had the 10 week option?"

Loosely paraphrasing his end of course debrief, we took it as the following (Disclaimer: not necessarily the way he meant it, but the way the majority of us took it) is that he felt comfortable with the candidates graduating the 6 week programs, but that he felt more comfortable with those coming out of the 10 week program. He seemed to feel that the six week programs offered a very condensed window of evaluation.. it seemed to quite a few of us that they are talking about, or at least he is talking about, is axing PLC...

DDE1990

INFORMATION DOMINATOR WARRIOR OR W/E
Here's a few more cents on PLC vs OCC. I'm not sure how much the landscape has changed since '10 when I did PLC, but PLC Jrs. contracts were a LOT easier to come by than OCC contracts. I trained with a Marine unit at [a military college], and we had people vying for all different types of contracts, and the PLC guys had a significantly higher acceptance rate than OCCers. Judging from what Nukon said, that's probably still the case. Point being, get an official PFT score, an ASTB score (if they make you take it, I somehow managed to never take it) and all your other paper work in order, and have a heart to heart with your OSO about your best option.

Also, I know a few guys who took an extra semester after their senior year in order to do PLC-Jrs after their junior year and Srs after what was technically their senior year, so don't fret too hard if you have your heart set on PLC and your credit situation starts looking wonky... Your OSO's job is to provide you with a path to OCS, and he'll work with whatever he's got to make that happen.

Last, I always wished I had done OCC instead of PLC. By week 6, you're in the swing of things, most of the retards are gone, and you usually get to eat your meals in peace... Would've preferred to just buck up and finish it out. Something to think about... To each his own though.

81montedriver

pilot
I was an OCC guy. I graduated college then went to OCS the following Sept. 10 weeks later I was wearing butter bars. Bada-bing bada boom.

There is something to be said for knocking it all out in one shot for 10 weeks vice 2 different summers for 6 weeks each. Yes I could be getting paid for a couple more years in service if I went to PLC but instead I spent my summers having fun, getting wasted and chasing girls. I'm still cool with it.