• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine OCS dumb question...

Treetop Flyer

pilot
The thread for stupid questions about Marine OCS is called: Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here! and is a sticky at the top of this forum. The tests at OCS are over stuff like Marine history, customs and courtesies, regulations, and some really basic tactics stuff. Everything you need to know will be taught to you there, and as long as you aren't really dumb or asleep in class you won't have a problem. Even if you do sleep you shouldn't have a problem.

GS-W

AH-1 W
The thread for stupid questions about Marine OCS is called: Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here! and is a sticky at the top of this forum. The tests at OCS are over stuff like Marine history, customs and courtesies, regulations, and some really basic tactics stuff. Everything you need to know will be taught to you there, and as long as you aren't really dumb or asleep in class you won't have a problem. Even if you do sleep you shouldn't have a problem.

Haha alright thanks!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Strangely, Marine OCS STILL manages to fart out academic failures despite the relative simpicity of the cirriculum.

If you want to study (I know, you didn't ask) I would use this. It is the Marine Corps Common Skills book 1A. Every single thing in it is something you should be familiar with. Knowing it cover to cover is not a bad thing...or a difficult thing. It's a bible for junior enlisted guys, and a good starting place for an officer candidate.

GS-W

AH-1 W
Strangely, Marine OCS STILL manages to fart out academic failures despite the relative simpicity of the cirriculum.

If you want to study (I know, you didn't ask) I would use this. It is the Marine Corps Common Skills book 1A. Every single thing in it is something you should be familiar with. Knowing it cover to cover is not a bad thing...or a difficult thing. It's a bible for junior enlisted guys, and a good starting place for an officer candidate.

I was actually browsing looking for a good study guide of things to study, but couldn't find a specific link or something that everyone is unanimous about that will cover the elo and tlo tests (I think thats what they are called...). That seems a little bit extensive though, a 100 page study guide? I thought we just have to know stuff like the Phonetic Alphabet, General Orders of a Sentry, Code of Conduct and Chain of Command... Would this http://www.ocs.navy.mil/memorization.asp be the same for marine OCS?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
You will need to know that stuff, and it's in the reference I gave you. The one I gave you IS extensive, but it's everything academic that you need to be successful at OCS. I can give you a question out of every single task (that doesn't start with perform or stand) in that table of contents very simply off the top of my head, any of which could quite easily be on the tests at OCS. You can show up without knowing any of it and still do well. Many have. Knowing it however, will put you at ease and give you time to do things that aren't studying, like putting together your uniforms and sleeping.

Take it or leave it. Just remember that OCS is a huge shot to the johnson. And also that this is in fact your job now.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
If there's one thing I would recommend memorizing before you get there it would be the rank structure. It helps to know what to call people, and it will help avoid making a jackass out of yourself quite as much early on. Everything else will be taught, and I believe I remember them saying the classroom stuff is on a 9th grade level. It's just enough to make you actually have to listen to them stomp their feet and maybe study 30 minutes. The people who fail academics at OCS have to be both dumb and lazy, not just one or the other.

yodaears

pilot
Garrett, if you have been able to succeed at USD then the academics are not going to be a problem. Worry about being in good shape and good health because those are the things that will get you in trouble. OCS is a kick in the nuts but not because of the academics.

GS-W

AH-1 W
Garrett, if you have been able to succeed at USD then the academics are not going to be a problem. Worry about being in good shape and good health because those are the things that will get you in trouble. OCS is a kick in the nuts but not because of the academics.

Alright good to know. I've heard it isn't bad, but I have a few months so I figured I was going to see if i could get ahead a little. Trying to get my pft from 290 to 300, but the mile just gets exponentially more difficult to improve haha.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Alright good to know. I've heard it isn't bad, but I have a few months so I figured I was going to see if i could get ahead a little. Trying to get my pft from 290 to 300, but the mile just gets exponentially more difficult to improve haha.

That's freaking for sure! In SD you have a great combo of hills and sand to train on. Many people get their face kicked in by the hills at OCS, but they're like little piles of cowshit compared to what's available to you out there. And 290 is still pretty stellar.

GS-W

AH-1 W
That's freaking for sure! In SD you have a great combo of hills and sand to train on. Many people get their face kicked in by the hills at OCS, but they're like little piles of cowshit compared to what's available to you out there. And 290 is still pretty stellar.

Haha yea, I dont think I have ever ran on flat terrain, for an entire run in my life, unless on the track...