• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Ocs 194

HueyCobra8151

pilot
My school sent two midshipmen to seniors this summer who had PFT's in the 230-range, both failed the initial PFT miserably.

You get something like 3 hours of sleep before the PFT, and it is hot and humid as hell. Also the instructors are pretty hard on the pullups.

I would not want to ship with a sub 260.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
My school sent two midshipmen to seniors this summer who had PFT's in the 230-range, both failed the initial PFT miserably.

You get something like 3 hours of sleep before the PFT, and it is hot and humid as hell. Also the instructors are pretty hard on the pullups.

I would not want to ship with a sub 260.

Good point, but it will not be hot and humid at OCC 194. That class starts in January. Burrr.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
In the summer course we were told to expect PFT score to drop about 20 points, dunno what the winter course "score drop" (if any) is.

youearnedit

The difference is that some go in with a 230PFT which is the best they can do. A 237 for me is my base, I'll be up to a 280 by 'go-time'. I've been through boot camp once so I know what sleep deprivation is like. Its a MENTAL game and those who can't hack it shouldn't go forward anyway. All I know is that 194 will be a cold one. CHEERS! HAPPY TURKEY DAY!

youearnedit

safely losing weight

yes, i lost 30 pounds safely. this is how i did it: first, have a captain tell you that your too heavy for the marines. if you've been an athlete this may be a hit on your confidence. the next day start this diet:
on the back of most food packages is the recommended diet allowance. CUT EVERYTHING IN HALF. AND CUT THE FAT TO 15 grams.
this is what I eat every day.

breakfast-chex whole wheat cereal with no-fat milk and 1 banana.
2 hours later- fruit or no-fat yogurt
lunch- 1 can of tuna with either mustard, hot sauce, or just pepper OR turkey sandwich on whole weat bread.
2 hours later-fruit or no-fat yogurt
Dinner-any meal under 6 grams of fat and low carbs. I like the healthy choice and south beach frozen dinners. They even have a healthy choice pizza with 4.5 grams of fat.
DO THIS AND TANK DOWN THE WATER. Along with daily workouts and you will DROP THE WIEGHT! I was 235 and 4 weeks later I weighed in at 204. I just had my physical and my cholesterol is perfect and everything else is GRRREAAT!

youearnedit

the running is coming along well. it gets easier as the weight comes off. I'm planning to be in the 20-ish range come shipping time (if i'm selected*).

foniks

You can't lose 30 lbs in 4 weeks safely. . . Good job and all, but technically, you don't want to lose that much weight that fast. I'm sure you lost a lot of muscle as well as fat.

And your advice is pretty bad. Simply cutting the amount of food you take and limiting your fat is not very good advice. Just some FYI, when I want to get real lean, I up the fat intake :)

Don't get me wrong. Good job losing the weight and all, I just think you might have did it smarter, and better (keeping all or most of the muscle, and losing only fat). Either way, you seem determined, and that's respectable.

youearnedit

I made my mind up October 15th that I wanted to go into the Marines. And to gain a chance I had to drop the weight. I'm sure I could have followed Dr. Phil's plan but the weight had to come off. And by the way, do you think you will always be eating healthy in the field? Point being, you have to do what it takes to get IT done. You say SMART I say mission accomplished, the textbook isn't always the best solution.

foniks

I was just saying your advice wasn't that good. I even congratulated you on losing the weight. No need to get defensive...

And I never implied that you would always be eating healthy in the field, but that's irrelevant. You won't always be training very smart in the field either. Sometimes you have injuries that you just have to push through. However, would I tell someone who hasn't attended OCS yet to push through his injuries and suck up the pain? No. You want to stay as healthy as possible before shipping out to OCS. All of that "unsafe" fun stuff can come later.

And trust me, your weight loss plan is closer to Dr. Phil's than mine.

youearnedit

Fair enough. My intensions are not to be defensive about my wieght loss, I'm just saying that what I did is nothing compared to the hits one's body will take in OCS, and their future as a Marine. You are right, the best advice should be the healthiest. Someone asked how I did it and I told them, it worked and I'm healthy. How is mine closer to Dr. Phil's? Are you purging?

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
One time my history teacher in high school told me about this diet to lose pounds quick... I forget whether he actually tried it or not.

First day, all you eat is 10 hard boiled eggs and run 6 miles and drink water as necessary

Second day, you eat 10 bananas and run 6 miles and drink water as necessary

Third day, you drink 2 gallons of water in addition to what you normally drink, and run 6 miles... but dont eat anything.

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
I went to OCS at age 29 and they told me that the PFT was a huge factor in their decision to select me. Appearently they have had some bad luck with older guys not making it due to the physical demands. I was about a 270 preship PFT and getting an age waiver for my NFO contract was a bitch.