• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Ocs 194

youearnedit

i have my package in for the next board. does being prior enlisted hurt my chances for selection? i read somewhere that elisted is about 10%...i think that only applies to active duty personnel applying. i'm 27 with a 237 PFT, 4 years enlisted NAVY, and a 3.4 GPA in graduate school. does anyone care to tell me if i have a good chance or not.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
i have my package in for the next board. does being prior enlisted hurt my chances for selection? i read somewhere that elisted is about 10%...i think that only applies to active duty personnel applying. i'm 27 with a 237 PFT, 4 years enlisted NAVY, and a 3.4 GPA in graduate school. does anyone care to tell me if i have a good chance or not.

I am an applicant as well for 194. I am no OSO, but I think raising your PFT score will help you out. It's also the only thing you can change at this point.

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
It's not bad, it qualifies you for OCC, but if your under 260 chances are you'll go under review at OCS and you'll defiantly be hurting with the amount of physical stress you'll be under at OCS.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
237 isn't exactly poor either...

Not saying its really poor, just saying that out of all of the factors you listed (prior, age, GPA, PFT) the PFT is the weakest point and probably the lowest area of competiveness for you.

237 is certainly passing, and certainly 1st class (should be a give) but when you will be competing with guys who have PFTs 270 or higher it could be a problem.

Furthermore, realizing that everyone drops on their initial PFT at OCS you are in the risk range of being sent home if it drops below the 1st class levels, not sure but I think they hold the older guys to the 225 on the basis that failing to do so will mean that the risk of injury during training goes up.

Again, I hope you get selected and get a shot at OCS but I would highly recommend doing whatever it takes to get that score up before you ship...short of injuring yourself of course...

youearnedit

great advice guys. that score will definately be lower by shipping time (if selected). 27 y-o is 200 for a first class. does ocs use the age chart? again great observations about my pft score...thanks.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
No old man discount at OCS. If your run is competitive you will do fine, in my opinion that is the largest indicator of fitness used by the OCS staff. I saw a lot of fast runners with 10 pullups excel at OCS. Personally, I went in with a 270-something (20/100/22ish), but struggled with the PT because running was my weak area.

Rgds/ Paul

thull

great advice guys. that score will definately be lower by shipping time (if selected). 27 y-o is 200 for a first class. does ocs use the age chart? again great observations about my pft score...thanks.

In a sense, yes, but in an opposite way from what I think you're talking about. The older you are, the MORE you need to turn out a higher PFT.

Otherwise they won't risk investing in someone who's older and might not be able to maintain high fitness throughout his/her career as an officer.

but if your under 260 chances are you'll go under review at OCS and you'll defiantly be hurting with the amount of physical stress you'll be under at OCS.

My intial PFT there was 219, got boarded...let me stay..left with a 250...

it was juniors...if I was OCC or Seniors with that type of score they probably would've kick me out.

You should be fine with a 237...the running is the most important...bring it down and you'll be fine.

Blaise

Good luck with selection. I've got my fingers crossed as well. Out of the guys going for OCC-194 from our selection office I don't think I've PTed with anyone who did lower than 270. I think though once we're there it pretty much matters very little, or at least much less than say how well you do on your bad days and how well your body recovers and adapts.

youearnedit

I know my run time will get even lower and my pull ups will increase, I'm just concerned about getting selected with the 237 PFT. I had just lost 30 pounds in 4 weeks and cut 3 minutes off the run. Once I'm in, I'm going all out! If I'm going back into the military, especially MARINES, I will be a 'lifer'. GET SOME!!!! Good luck to all up for selection. Let's get selected then freeze our Aces off at Quantico!!!HOORAH!