• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine nrotc ???

wyldechild

i know this is a stupid question i'm new to the site. if your in Nrotc do you become an officer on active or reserve? i've looked on the official website i it wasn't really clear ( i'd greatly apperciate any replys)

StorminNorman

Trying to hit the Dangerzone
technically, active reserve. if your interested in marine corps option of an nrotc unit, you will be attending ocs and later the basic school. only until you have completed these requirements (and your initial mos training) will you actually be activated. its not like the usmc (or the navy for that matter) simply straps some ordnance to your back once you get sworn in

Crowbar

None
StorminNorman said:
technically, active reserve.

That changed in 2005. Now mids get active commissions.

MARADMIN 116/04 said:
UPON GRADUATION, A MIDSHIPMAN IS APPOINTED A SECOND LIEUTENANT IN THE U.S. MARINE CORPS RESERVE.

MARADMIN 122/05 said:
UPON GRADUATION, A MIDSHIPMAN IS APPOINTED A SECOND LIEUTENANT IN THE U.S. MARINE CORPS.

The last I heard, the promotion and augmentation process will remain the same, it will just be called something different. Supposedly there will be no difference between people with reserve and people with active commissions. It's still too early to tell how it will all play out.

Regardless, if you're asking if you'll be on active duty or a reservist once you get commissioned, it will be active duty. There is a program for reservists (RECP) to get commissioned, but they apply for certain billets at certain duty stations and know before they even get commissioned what their MOS and duty station will be.

wyldechild

Thanks i talked to my recuiter and i forgot to ask him to clear that up for me. he had to leave early because some old lady knocked over his motorcycle in the parking lot.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
^Yeah, and she wanted to know if he wanted to make something of it, followed with "I'm Rick James, b!tch!"

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
Nrotc Commissioning Guidelines

If you go through ANY ROTC Program (Army, Navy, Air Force, Navy (Marine Option) they have the option of 1) Offering you an Active Duty position 2) Offering you a Reserve Duty position 3) No Commission at all. In any case, there is no guarantees for commissioning because commissions are EARNED. I hope this helps.

wyldechild

Thanks everyone i'm gonna submit my request package as soon as i take the SAT's. i'm gonna go active. as for the old lady i'm not sure what happended to her. his bike was leaking and looked like it needed body repair.