• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Hornet FRS - What happens when you're done?

usmc_stud

pilot
I am a Marine and I recently selected Hornets. I've heard a lot of rumors about getting assigned an IA billet immediately after finishing the FRS, before reporting to a squadron. Does anyone know details about this situation?

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
I heard the same thing from a Marine hornet guy (just starting the FRS) 2 days ago. It's all rumors and hearsay. And even if it was true, you're not going to be finished with the FRS for at least a year right? Don't worry about it until then, because everything is going to change at least twice.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Word is that it has been taking RP's 18 months on average to complete here (from class up date), though I've heard they are trying to shorten that figure. I'd worry about it when you get close to finishing. That could be as much as 2 years after you PCS here.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
wow...that kinda seems like a strange progression. RAG, IA, Back to the RAG for refresher, and then first fleet tour. That blows.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I am a Marine and I recently selected Hornets. I've heard a lot of rumors about getting assigned an IA billet immediately after finishing the FRS, before reporting to a squadron. Does anyone know details about this situation?

From a recent meeting… CAT 1 production is taking 101 ~60 weeks. (not good)

As for IA’s for CAT 1’s … it depends on the MAG & squadrons philosophy. IA’s for first tour guys are retarded, IMO, but it is what it is. I believe the current thought process is that it’s “better” to send the new guy just out of the FRS on the IA. IA’s are supposedly winding down, but a recent conversation about how many MAG-31 IA’s that are out there was shocking.

Another thing to throw out… a lot of dudes are seeing their department head tours during their second tour and because of the gluttony of O-4’s who need that ticket punched, once you get your DH you get booted to the MAG or Wing to make room for other O-4’s.

Tough times…make the most of it! Don’t suck... do a good job with your multiple ground jobs and get your quals… “the rich get richer” if you have your quals…

S/F

usmc_stud

pilot
Thanks for the info/perspective, I was just curious if the rumors were founded or not. I'll try to take your advice, Jarhead, and not suck...and leave the rest up to God, because only He knows how things will be in a year or two.

FLY_USMC

pilot
wow...that kinda seems like a strange progression. RAG, IA, Back to the RAG for refresher, and then first fleet tour. That blows.
Welcome to my former life, yes it blows/ed.

USMC_STUD, you will not get IA'd right out of the RAG anymore, you have to now have a Section Lead to get an IA, at least that's the word I've heard from several Hornet MAGs.