• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine F-22s

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
All I know is that 307 made some crazy voice aural tones when I shut it down at the boat......like weird stuff that ive never heard in any A+/A++ - D. That and you guys are missing things like RWR fish finder and such. At least you have some -402 jets though

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
All I know is that 307 made some crazy voice aural tones when I shut it down at the boat......like weird stuff that ive never heard in any A+/A++ - D. That and you guys are missing things like RWR fish finder and such. At least you have some -402 jets though

You use the fish finder?

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
The Marine Corps should shitcan the F-35 and figure out how to land a Reaper on an Amphib.

Marine F/A-18F's from the carrier and Marine "Sea" Reaper's from the amphib.

S/F

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
The Rhino makes perfect sense for the Marine Corps. Swap out C's to E's, D's to F's and Prowlers to G's. Now you have platform commonality for the logistics and a great A/C that could be forward deployed. Its the perfect choice. Thats why it will never happen.

STOVLer

pilot
I think we're neglecting the 'footprint' argument that coincides with Marines flying only CV based aircraft. Sending an LHA/LHD to a hotzone is a much different message than an entire CV (i.e. Libya). Having a six jet detachment on an LHA maintains the MAGTF autonomy and capability that wouldn't exist if the fixed-wing assets of the ACE were on a CV.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Uh, he's talkking about replacing legacy Hornets and Prowlers with Rhinos and Growlers. Harriers will still go to the -35B for that flexibility off the LHA/LHD. Unless I'm reading it wrong...

Edit: In response to the two above post...

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I think he's joining the conversation that developed, not addressing the jaw-droppingly stupid original article

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
What was the idea in your article?

In its simplest form, cancel the Y and Z and replace them both with a multi-mission helicopter, e.g. a Sikorsky H-60 "Battlehawk" variant.

The follow-on points had to do with things such as better complementing the MEU and MAGTF flexibility, as well as the possibility of a compound help upgrade later, but the above was the big banner.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
293570_2099300256222_1656879055_2025361_3275294_n.jpg

Providing invaluable DCA for airshows all over the country. If the Deceptacons ever decide to jump us at Oshkosh, these guys really are our only hope (provided the OBOGS is working).

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
The Rhino makes perfect sense for the Marine Corps. Swap out C's to E's, D's to F's and Prowlers to G's. Now you have platform commonality for the logistics and a great A/C that could be forward deployed. Its the perfect choice. Thats why it will never happen.
The CMC & some Marines keep talking like they have unlimited $$$. We're going into a new era of very limited defense funding. Rhinos & Growlers replacing the Legacy Hornets & Prowlers is the best deal the USMC is gonna get. Any F-35Bs to replace Harriers will be pure lagniappe, IMHO.

KBayDog

lagniappe (lan-yap, lan-yap) n.
1. A small gift given with a purchase to a customer, by way of complimentor for good measure; bonus.
2. A gratuity or top.
3. An unexpected or indirect benefit.

Dictionary.com...though UrbanDictionary has a few creative definitions, too...

It's Saturday - I'm done learning for the day. Thanks, Fog!

phrogpilot73

lagniappe (lan-yap, lan-yap) n.
1. A small gift given with a purchase to a customer, by way of complimentor for good measure; bonus.
2. A gratuity or top.
3. An unexpected or indirect benefit.

Dictionary.com...though UrbanDictionary has a few creative definitions, too...

It's Saturday - I'm done learning for the day. Thanks, Fog!
And here I thought it was something that I should have learned in Culinary school...

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Even old NFOs are useful for something, sometime. The Blues & the aircrew from VFA-106 were awesome today. One of my favorite airshows of all time. There were some Marine Harriers there, and they looked pretty long in the tooth. We gotta get the Marines a new V/STOL a/c. So I do hope we can afford a 100 or so F-35Bs for the Corps.