• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps OCS Gouge

corpsocgmu

Marine Officer
pilot
Not a bad site, but not everything there is still completely accurate, but like I said, not a site for somebody who has no idea about OCS. Just don't want anyone to read it and freak out about something. OCS is tough, but it is manageable. Try not to focus too much on little details, like what they serve in the chow hall on thursday afternoons. Just stay focused and enjoy (in as much as you can) your OCS experience.

tperng

corpsocgmu said:
Not a bad site, but not everything there is still completely accurate, but like I said, not a site for somebody who has no idea about OCS. Just don't want anyone to read it and freak out about something.

Good advice! That website made a newbie like me a lot more anxious than the "Shipping to OCS" thread in this forum. For a period of time, I was in danger of overtraining, which is very bad since I've got one month left before my ship date. Thankfully, I came to my senses before doing too much harm.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
corpsocgmu said:
Try not to focus too much on little details, like what they serve in the chow hall on thursday afternoons. Just stay focused and enjoy (in as much as you can) your OCS experience.

I don't know about you, but I lived for saturday noon chow when they served burgers, hotdogs, and pork and beans. I little ray of sunshine in even the most miserable POI.

corpsocgmu

Marine Officer
pilot
DocT said:
I don't know about you, but I lived for saturday noon chow when they served burgers, hotdogs, and pork and beans. I little ray of sunshine in even the most miserable POI.

Heh, yeah....that was some pretty damn good chow. Especially after week 3 when the routine became burgers and inspection followed by liberty.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
corpsocgmu said:
Not a bad site, but not everything there is still completely accurate, but like I said, not a site for somebody who has no idea about OCS. Just don't want anyone to read it and freak out about something. OCS is tough, but it is manageable. Try not to focus too much on little details, like what they serve in the chow hall on thursday afternoons. Just stay focused and enjoy (in as much as you can) your OCS experience.

Probably because he went to OCS a while ago, probably under Col. Smith. I think the forums are the best source of gouge because it's up to date.

corpsocgmu

Marine Officer
pilot
mmx1 said:
Probably because he went to OCS a while ago, probably under Col. Smith. I think the forums are the best source of gouge because it's up to date.

You're probably right. I was lucky enough to go to OCS during the Col Rachal era. God bless the man; among other things he moved lights out to 2100 vice 2200. Just one of many examples of how the OCS routine can vary.

Which actually leads into another good point for OCS gouge: things are kinda mercurial down there at Brown field. What may have been SOP for one increment may change for the next. Is it improvement or just a way to keep candidates guessing? Who knows? These forums are a good source of information, but keep in mind that even very recent information can quickly become out of date when you're dealing with OCS. In the words of my Plt Commander at Jrs, take all the information on these forums "with a grain of salt".