• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine corps marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
A few weeks ago I got the idea of running in the Marine Corps Marathon this month in DC, as my first marathon. The problem is that the registration lottery deadline passed a few months ago, so the only way for me to run would be unofficially. I knew a ton of people in college who ran as "bandit runners" at the Boston Marathon, and I'd like to find out whether that's possible at the MCM. Basically what I've heard so far is that it's not officially allowed but that people do it all the time; however, I'm worried whether it's possible to run without inconveniencing either the other runners who have officially registered or the Marines who run the marathon. I'm also concerned as to whether running "illegally" would be a seriously inappropriate thing for me to do as someone who aspires to be a Marine. I'm not too concerned with breaking the official rules, but I don't want to do it in a way that hurts anybody else. I also don't want to get my ass kicked by the event staff... Does anybody who has any experience with the Marine Corps Marathon have any thoughts or suggestions?

dvl_dog_2531

If you want to run just go out and run it. No, you aren't going to disadvantage the official participants. (What is 1 more person when there are already 25k out there?) And no, the "staff" are not going to kick your ass. Most are volunteers anyway and wouldn't have the sac to challenge a potential bandit. You do need to figure out what you will do at the finish. If the race is timed with a "chip" they typically corral the runners and remove their chips just a few yards after the line, so if I were you I'd come up with some lame ass story like you already finished but went back to run the last mile to help a friend to the finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.