• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corp Aviation and Duty Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dividebyzero

Few questions related to the general marine aviator's career path.

What are the primary duty stations for M.C. pilots? As far as I can tell, CONUS is pretty much Lejune or Yuma. More specifically, where are the F/A-18 units stationed? It doesn't generally seem that there's much in the way of duty stations for Marine Corp pilots, with the options being much worse overseas short of wartime (read: Okinawa...y..a..y...)

Secondly, how does the Marine Corp work out platform selection for pilot trainees? Is it identical to the Navy's pretty much, with grades and personal preference being the key (following needs of the Navy, of course). Also, what are the main platforms most pilots compete for? I'm only assuming rotary-wing platforms, but any clarification would be much appreciated.

dividebyzero

Also, I just realized I misspelled "Corps" every single time. Please excuse me, for i iz a moron.
dunce_125.gif
dunce_125.gif
dunce_125.gif

farkle84

f/a-18 are stationed in Miramar California, Japan, and Beaufort. you can also be an instructor pilot and be stationed at the various instructing schools. Harrier is in Yuma and Beaufort. Cobra's, Huey's are at Camp Pendleton CA not sure on the east coast. and 46's and 53's are at Miramar. Platform is the same as the Navy's. NEEDS of the Navy come first, then grades. Hope this helps somewhat. i dont know all the answers. but this is close

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
I'm pretty sure the Harriers are stationed at Yuma and Cherry Point, NC.
When you mention Beaufort, that is South Carolina between Charleston and Savannah and next door to Hilton Head. (There is a Beaufort in NC as well)

Helos?
Okinawa - 2 squadrons of CH-46E's
Hawaii - 4 squadrons of CH-53D's
Mirimar - 4 squadrons of CH-46E's and 4 squadrons of CH-53E's
Pendleton - 2 squadrons of CH-46E's and 4 skid squadrons (Cobras and Hueys) Also the CH-46E FRS and the skid FRS
New River - 6 squadrons of CH-46E's, 2 squadrons of CH-53E's, and 2 squadrons of skids. Also the CH-53E and the MV-22 FRS.

Selection?
1) Needs of the Corps
2) Your grades
3) Your preference

Most students want Cobras when they start helos but by the end quite a few either rather fly assault (46 or 53) or prefer to pick duty station first and take whatever aircraft they can get there.

Pretty big spread of students - depends on who you wing with - but generally there are enough students who want something different that nobody gets jammed.

No way you can game the system because even the Marine Student Control Officers in HT-8 and HT-18 who assign the slots seldom know more than a week ahead of time what slots will be available for a winging.

riley

Check out the following website:

http://www.marineofficercandidate.com/aviation_home_page.htm

Click on Aviation Career information.

it is for the florida area OSO, but it has good information on different aircraft platforms and the associated duty stations, as well as the training routes and what to expect further on in your career.

dividebyzero

What about OCONUS opportunities?
Once again, it seems like Japan is it, and aside from deployments, you'll never actually PCS anywhere overseas besides Japan.

Is there nowhere at all in Europe, for example, or elsewhere in Asia?

Status
Not open for further replies.