• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Chopper Crash in Iraq Kills 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCLegal

Rhino Pilot Wife
Marine Chopper Crash in Iraq Kills 31

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

BAGHDAD, Iraq — A U.S. Marine helicopter transporting troops crashed Wednesday in the desert of western Iraq, killing 31 people, American military officials said. The crash was believed to be the deadliest single incident involving U.S. troops in Iraq.

A Pentagon source said earlier that the helicopter was a CH-53 Sea Stallion (search), which is normally configured to carry 37 passengers, but can take up to 55. There was no immediate word on how many people were on board..

The helicopter went down about 1:20 a.m. near the town of Rutbah, about 220 miles west of Baghdad, while conducting security operations, the military said in a statement. The aircraft was transporting personnel from the 1st Marine Division (search).

A search and rescue team has reached the site and an investigation into what caused the crash is underway, the military said.

The U.S. military has lost at least 33 helicopters since the March 2003 start of the Iraq conflict, according to a study by the Brookings Institution (search). At least 20 of them were brought down by hostile fire, the institution said.

The deadliest single incident involving U.S. troops until Wednesday took place on Nov. 15, 2003, when two Black Hawk helicopters crashed in Mosul after colliding while trying to avoid ground fire, killing 17 U.S. soldiers and wounding five.

Earlier that same month, on Nov. 2, 2003, a Chinook transport helicopter was shot down by shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missile near Fallujah, killing 16 American soldiers and wounding 26.

Last month, a suicide bomb exploded at a mess tent in a base near Mosul, killing 22 people including 14 U.S. soldiers and three American contractors.

erinbynight

erinbynight
That's a very sad and humbling incident. It's almost disrespectful to put it in the political perspective. I guess I'll hear what others have to say before I say more. Although...what is left to say that hasn't been said a dozen times over...

Acoustix99

pilot
In addition to the other Navy 53 we lost in norfolk yesterday (everyone survived, albeit a little wet), it's not a good week for the mighty 53

gagirl

My prayers and thoughts are with the families of the Marines killed today. I still haven't heard yet, but a family friends son was headed home anyday now. I pray he wasn't on there. This has really upset me. Not that any of the other troop deaths are less sad, but the fact that someone I know might have been on it. What a sad day for the Corps. God bless them and all the troops over there. These days leading up to the election are going to be nasty. I hope everyone will say some prayers for everyone over there.
GAgirl

Thank God all the guys survived the helicopter crash here in VAB.

DCLegal

Rhino Pilot Wife
I second what gagirl said. I am watching my local Fox News right now and it appears that the chopper that crashed in Iraq was caught in a sandstorm.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Found out this morning when they posted the victims names that one of those killed is a guy from my platoon in TBS. Our wives were best friends while we were in Quantico. He went IOC I went to Pensacola so we never saw each other again but our wives have emailed each other several times since. Serves as a reminder that this is a dangerous job we have so take it seriously.

God speed Justin.

gagirl

jboomer,

sorry to hear about your friend. The whole situation is awful and I can't imagine what the families must feel. Can you please tell me where you found the list of names? I looked under yahoo, but they just reported the story. I'm sure I just didn't use the right words when searching.

Pray for our men and women overseas.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't think any, or at least the full, list of names is out yet. The grapevine can work pretty quickly in the Corps.

mpdonnelly

A USN Corpsman was among the victims of the crash. He had a four-month old daughter he never met. Please keep them and all of the other families in your prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.