• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Aviation Centennial nose art

Yankee Uniform Tango
VMA-211.jpg

I just came across this picture. Are there more examples of MAC nose art, out there? If so, I would greatly appreciate if you could post them here.

Bonus points to those who take the picture(s) themselves. I will gladly send beer as a reward. Seriously.

Renegade One

None
Are there more examples of MAC nose art, out there?
I really liked the way the Navy went "full goose looney" with respect to multiple throwback paint schemes...across all communities... during our CONA year. Marines had equal opportunity...but it may be counter-cultural. We "old guys" here in San Diego have the honor of socializing and hanging with a genuine Marine "Tailhook" squadron...the "Death Rattlers" of VMFA-323 (assigned to CVW-11, USS NIMTZ). Their Korean War era "Snake Nose Art" would have looked great during the MAC...but I guess that's not how they (e.g., the USMC) roll.

Thanks for the pic..neat. Will be watching the thread to see if there are any more. Especially since this is the 70th anniversary of the "Cactus Air Force" at Guadalcanal. I think some Marines were involved...if memory serves...;)

Yankee Uniform Tango
I really liked the way the Navy went "full goose looney" with respect to multiple throwback paint schemes...across all communities... during our CONA year. Marines had equal opportunity...but it may be counter-cultural. We "old guys" here in San Diego have the honor of socializing and hanging with a genuine Marine "Tailhook" squadron...the "Death Rattlers" of VMFA-323 (assigned to CVW-11, USS NIMTZ). Their Korean War era "Snake Nose Art" would have looked great during the MAC...but I guess that's not how they (e.g., the USMC) roll.

Thanks for the pic..neat. Will be watching the thread to see if there are any more. Especially since this is the 70th anniversary of the "Cactus Air Force" at Guadalcanal. I think some Marines were involved...if memory serves...;)

4.jpg

I found a high-res version of the above pic and cropped it. The name on the canopy is a nice touch :)

BTW, during the MAC event in DC this past May, I ran into an older gentleman with a VMF-323 patch on his jacket. He casually mentioned flying Corsairs in the past, so like I dumbass, I said "Oh, you mean the A-7?" Turned out he was one of the original 1944 Death Rattlers. I don't think I've ever felt so starstruck.

Renegade One

None
BTW, during the MAC event in DC this past May, I ran into an older gentleman with a VMF-323 patch on his jacket. He casually mentioned flying Corsairs in the past, so like I dumbass, I said "Oh, you mean the A-7?" Turned out he was one of the original 1944 Death Rattlers. I don't think I've ever felt so starstruck.
I understand the feeling. Here in San Diego, the "voice" of the San Diego Padres is our own LtCol Jerry Coleman, USMCR...the only major league baseball player (NY Yankees) to have fought in two wars. Flew Corsairs with the Snakes in Korea...great guy.
jerry_coleman_2.jpg
Flew Dauntlesses in WWII...sorry, I don't remember which squadron(s).

Attachments

• jerry_coleman_2.jpg
    jerry_coleman_2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 6