• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mandatory Psycological Screening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey everyone. No, I'm not back yet. It just so happened that I was finally able to connect to the forum. Anyway, I've been reading some to these posts and I'm kind of curious. Actually, I'm confused on this whole issue of the SWO community being closed due in part to too much interest and too many applicants. Just a couple years ago, the SWO community was wide open and they were taking anyone. Now they are being selective. Having seen the in flux of new Ensigns into the community, I can see why they are starting to cut their numbers. However, we are starting to see more and more posts from people who are actually trying to get into the SWO program. Personally, I think that's great as the community can become more and more selective in who it brings in. The community can now concentrate on those who desire to be there, and disregard those who don't. Those who are interested in becoming a SWO have many opportunities afforded them once they are in. If you happen to get lucky and find your niche within the community, it can be great. But if you don't, your life can be absolutely miserable. It either goes one of two ways -- either profoundly rewarding, or insanely miserable. A whole host of variables are in play which help to determine your experiences. And they are always, always, always different for each person.

As for me personally, my lateral transfer application is in for transfer to the Intel community. That should probably give you a general idea of where my experiences fell. It seems like such a long time ago that I was in flight school. And now I'm on my second division officer tour. Coincidentally, the lateral transfer/redesignation board commences today and adjourns next Friday. Hopefully, I will know that evening...that's if the results are posted on the BUPERS' website...or shortly after that.

I can say I'm undecided at this point as to what I will do if I should not get selected this time around. I am at that point where I will be able to put in my resignation papers if I desire and be out of the Navy in approximately 10-12 months. That is one option. There are a number of other options that I have been thinking about for some time as well, but I will spend time concentrating on those only in the event I do not get selected. One day at a time. In any event, I still have a job to do here and will continue to do just that.

For those putting in packages and keep coming up against a brick wall for what you want, keep up the full court press. Your time will come.

--Steve Wilkins

p.s. Be sure to get that psycological screening done. This way, when you put SWO down as your first choice, no one can question your mental stability!

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Originally posted by Steve WilkinsThe community can now concentrate on those who desire to be there, and disregard those who don't.
Yikes... [:0]

Good luck with Intel. Often board results aren't immediately available because they have to go through a few more wickets after the board adjourns.

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

psrogers

Intel Officer
Steve: good luck with the transfer. I applied to intel too, though as a fresh recruit, not a lateral transfer. I'm hoping to hear back really soon. Have you considered crypto?

Also: if you are a SWO, how is it that you went through flight training? I see on this webpage that you have a 'flight training journal', but I don't understand why you would have gone through flight training if you are a SWO.

psrogers

Intel Officer
That was WELL worth reading. Having never flown, but feeling the way Steve Wilkins claims to have felt about 'getting paid to fly', and hearing his analysis once he began flying, really confirms that I need to learn to fly before I apply to become an SNA. Thanks for pointing me up there, Grandmaster(flash).

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Steve is one of my best friends, and the guy that started this website, he is also the other webmaster of the site.

Best of luck Steve on the Intel package!

JayManC

i thought that transfers from Unrestricted to Restricted duty positions usually didnt pan out too well. guess you don't know unless you try

<insert something witty here:>

Status
Not open for further replies.