• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Man, is it just awesome?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouch

quote:
Grouch,
Do you reload?

Yah I reload but I don't have my bench set up. After I left school, I haven't had the room. I reload 3030, 357, 38, and 45. RCBS makes dies for the K. Right now I'm avoiding shooting because a slight hearing loss at high frequencies. I don't want to risk my NFO slot. I am super worried about NOMI putting the kaibash on my dreams of aviation. Needless to say, I plan on burning about a pound of powder (win 231) out of my 45 after I get out of OCS!!!!!

Edited by - grouch on 09/04/2002 20:45:38

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I just barely passed my hearing tests for my Aviation contract. I've been hunting since I was 5, plink all the time, and the 4 years of 81mm mortors sure didn't help my hearing. I'm about to go on another hunt the next day or 2. I also reload: 30-06, 270, 38 spl, 9mm.

"You forgot your furtune cookie"

Dirty Harry

grouch

E5b, you sould be able to help me...What was you hearing? Mine is great until I hit 4000 Hz. At that point I have an 85 dB loss in the left ear and an 75 dB loss in the right. I have been told that the correctabilty is poor becuase it will dampen the rest of my good hearing. I am sweating bullets daily worrying about NOMI. (shooting humor)I did get through MEPS after some arm wrestling with them and I did get the hearing wavier for OCS, but the board aint NOMI!!!!
grouch

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:
E5b, you sould be able to help me...What was you hearing? Mine is great until I hit 4000 Hz. At that point I have an 85 dB loss in the left ear and an 75 dB loss in the right. I have been told that the correctabilty is poor becuase it will dampen the rest of my good hearing. I am sweating bullets daily worrying about NOMI. (shooting humor)I did get through MEPS after some arm wrestling with them and I did get the hearing wavier for OCS, but the board aint NOMI!!!!
grouch

Okay, here's some hearing gouge. On my last two flight physicals, I keep failing some part of it. Try and maintain a relitively quiet environment about a day before. Then go to bed w/ some ear foamies in. Keep them on (minus the shower, of course) until you're ready for the test. Don't know if it will completely solve the problem, but worked great for me last time. Haven't made it to retest for this last physical. It's worth a shot, though. It's amazing how well you hear that next morning.

grouch

Thanks Gator. My recruiter said pretty much the same thing but my hearing is consistant. The real problem is what they call tinnitus. It's that damn ringing in my ears. It is there all the time but I only really notice it when it is very quite. Hearing test stress me out because I am straining to hear the faint stuff but this seems to magnify the tinnitus, so I tend to hit the little dodad more than I should. I am wondering if I will be able to fly, but nobody seems to know what NOMI is looking for. I have looked on their wavier website and it talks about operations and stuff but it doesn't give the decible and frequency beakdowns. If anyone knows please tell me.
Thanks, grouch

Edited by - grouch on 09/04/2002 22:56:26

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, NOMI seems to be a really secret squirrel on the hearing stuff. A friend of mine that I went to school with got NPQ'ed due to hearing...he got an ear infection which resulted in hearing loss right where they cared. The kicker was that if he was winged, they would have given him a waiver. He went SWO, and I just found out a couple of months ago he got a waiver and is going to flight school.

I swear I'll be deaf by the age 35. It's amazing how loud a million different parts are that are all trying to fly apart from one another.

grouch

I'm thinking SWO if I can't get past NOMI but I hear SWO is closed for 2 years. I dunno. Oh well...I'll still be an officer.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I wish you luck on your hearing tests grouch. I really don't know what my #'s where, all I know is I passed, barely. I've been in the Corps 8 years now and haven't heard the term SWO until I got on here. I know what it stands for, but what exactly do they do in the fleet?

"You forgot your furtune cookie"

Dirty Harry

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:
Gator, who are you talking about?

Sean K. He was in my class, but graduated in Dec 98. Sat around till you graduated, I think. He and Mike H. were always tearing apart the offices, if you remember, but by then, I think you were pretty scarce...avoiding the LT. Thank god I dodged that mess. I only had to build a network...they had to move the same furniture 6 times. Ensign busy work I guess .

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
LOL, I remember all that, the busy and make work... ah the memories!

MEE, SCARCE? NO, NEVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.