• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Making the decision

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
ea6bflyr said:
You should do this during the FIRST SEMESTER of your senior year.

I'd start as much of the paper work as possible near the end of junior year... I almost got screwed by starting the stuff senior year... especially for the academy.

nyy, if you've any specific questions about USNA, or general ones about academy living, pm me.

There are alot of other ways to get a commission, each with its own pros and cons. But all lead to the same end... a commission. Take a look at all the programs you are eligible for and pick one that's best suited for you.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
skidkid said:
Uhhh how hard is it to get jets?
Nyy,Don't ask that question, in case it wasn't clear already.

Look through the "Required Reading" of the forum... lots of info/perspective.

nyy said:
Maybe i should go for ROTC so that i have something to fall back on just in case i dont get chosen as a pilot? but then im required to do 4 years of service anyway, and i really dont want to serve unless im flying

What happened to your opening statement, "i am a US citizen, and feel like i should start giving back to the country that gave me so much"???? Being a pilot is only half your job in the Navy, you still have a lot of people counting on you to lead people. It's not all about jumping into a jet and flying at the speed of sound with the call sign "Maverick".

KimberlyD

redmariner97 said:
What happened to your opening statement, "i am a US citizen, and feel like i should start giving back to the country that gave me so much"???? Being a pilot is only half your job in the Navy, you still have a lot of people counting on you to lead people. It's not all about jumping into a jet and flying at the speed of sound with the call sign "Maverick".

So when your designator comes back SWO, you won't cry?

riley

Lets rail on the new guy.

nyy is only 16, hell when I was 16 I thought all I wanted to do was fly. For some of us it takes a bit longer for the officer first, pilot second idea to sink in. No offense, for some services, I only looked at them because of flying. It wasn't until I talked to a Marine OSO that I realized and truly believed in the Marine first, officer second, pilot third concept. Everyone's different, nyy will find the best service for nyy and will most likely then understand the officer first bit.

nyy - look at what you want to accomplish in college. What are your interests? First, whatever school you go to - take classes you enjoy, don't do the "practical thing" or what your parents think is right. Invariably if you do that you wind up miserable with piss poor grades. I know pilots that are history majors.

Second, what type of culture of school are you looking for - do you want a real rigid, structured academic life, or more of one where you can make your own choices? (think Academy vs normal school) If you go to a normal school - do you want the military science classes and the opportunity to wear a uniform, or just be a normal college student?

Shop around, find out whats best for you, talk to the different recruiters and the people in that service. I was almost 25 before I realized what I wanted/where I fit in.

oztin79

riley mcconnell said:
Lets rail on the new guy.

nyy is only 16, hell when I was 16 I thought all I wanted to do was fly. For some of us it takes a bit longer for the officer first, pilot second idea to sink in. No offense, for some services, I only looked at them because of flying. It wasn't until I talked to a Marine OSO that I realized and truly believed in the Marine first, officer second, pilot third concept. Everyone's different, nyy will find the best service for nyy and will most likely then understand the officer first bit.

nyy - look at what you want to accomplish in college. What are your interests? First, whatever school you go to - take classes you enjoy, don't do the "practical thing" or what your parents think is right. Invariably if you do that you wind up miserable with piss poor grades. I know pilots that are history majors.

Second, what type of culture of school are you looking for - do you want a real rigid, structured academic life, or more of one where you can make your own choices? (think Academy vs normal school) If you go to a normal school - do you want the military science classes and the opportunity to wear a uniform, or just be a normal college student?

Shop around, find out whats best for you, talk to the different recruiters and the people in that service. I was almost 25 before I realized what I wanted/where I fit in.

Good advice.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
in regards to doing ROTC to have something to fall back on in case you don't get a pilot slot... if you go to an academy you will get a bachelors degree just like any other school. In fact, even though i didn't go to the academy I'll rank an academy education in the top tier.

consider BDCP... it's the only way you'll be "guaranteed" a pilot slot before you sign anything. or if money's not an issue... OCS without the college stipend.

The top ranked winger in my class was an air force reserve pilot i think for the air national guard?. Another thing to consider if you're focused on a particular airframe or location. he got the same training as us active duty folks.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
mules83 said:
I'll cry, guaranteed. But I will drink it off and be the best d@mn SWO out there.

Heh... I can tell you from experience that copious amounts of alcohol will eventually make you SWOtivated and motivated... and then when you're sober, you'll kick yourself in the hindparts for sleeping through calc and chem and physics and numerous other classes... and come back to the realization that you don't wanna be a SWO... and then you'll head out and do it all over again the next night.

Vicious cycle. Mine ended when my LT told me that I could have an NFO slot... then I drank in celebration.