• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Make up of the "NAMI Whammy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looey

As of May 22, I'll be flown to Pensacola for a flight physical.

Aside from the list of tests posted on the NAMI website, what other tests are given? For example, is it everything at MEPS done over again with the addition of the things posted on the NAMI site. Specifically, I'd like to know whether your made to do the "Duck walk" again.

And why does it take 4 days?

Any information from someone who has completed this Physical would be much appreciated.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
No more duck walking. Don't remember why it takes 4 days.

Can't help you really, but I haven't duck walked since MEPS, so you should be in good shape there.

VAmookie

mine only took 1 day. must just be the scheduling at NASP. They must have so many NA, SNA, wanna be SNA going through there that they've got to break up things like the labwork, dental, physical, and eye exam on different days.

SFgirl

This is along the same lines, sort of...

I was wondering if anyone knew about the ability to get a waiver for IBS?? Yeah, it sounds nasty - irritable bowel syndrome... Anyway, I have already done my flight physical and was cleared, but now have been diagnosed with this very recently...

Is this a done deal or are gut problems waiverable?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
From the guide: ....looks like it 'could be' waiverable

7.8 IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME Rev AUG 94

AEROMEDICAL CONCERNS: The urgency and frequency of defecation, together with the discomfort felt by many patients, can be distracting in flight and can be inconvenient when living in field conditions. There is a tendency for the syndrome to be associated with depression and anxiety.

WAIVER: In the absence of pathology and psychological factors that would be disqualifying in themselves, the condition may be NCD. Dietary manipulation is the only therapeutic intervention permitted, and the individual must be asymptomatic on diet alone. If other factors are present, waiver can be recommended for the condition, provided the symptoms could be controlled.

INFORMATION REQUIRED: Internal medicine or gastroenterology consultation to exclude bowel pathology. Psychiatry opinions may also be indicated.

TREATMENT: Advice and dietary management are compatible with flying status. Caffeine restriction may be particularly useful.

DISCUSSION: Over 50% of patients are under 35 years old, with the female to male ratio being reported as 2:1. The criteria for making the diagnosis can be met by 6-15% of normal young people.

564.1 Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Box

I took my Initial Flight physical at NAS Lemoore. I was lucky and got it all done in 1 day. But I'm pretty sure the second part of the physical, yor meeting with the naval flight surgeon is done on a separate day from the actual physical part, then I would think it would take a day or 2 for your lab results to get back, and then to have your naval flight surgeon to sign all the paperwork. Maybe thats why their taking 4 days to do it? just IMO

KBayDog

Looey said:
As of May 22, I'll be flown to Pensacola for a flight physical...And why does it take 4 days?

They physical takes a day, at the most. Lab work/poking and prodding in the morning, meet with the surgeon in the afternoon. Physical complete in less than a day.

Just a New Jersey public school edumicated guess here, but since they are flying you to Pensacola, they want to ensure that you have ample time to get everything done in one shot, with some time built in for the inevitable SNAFUs. No sense in a return trip to NASP. It is much easier/makes more sense to give you plenty of time up front, rather than need it later on.

Physicals start early in the morning, so you can't really count on doing anything the day you arrive in Pensacola. That knocks it down to three days. You might not do anything the day you leave, which brings us to two days. See where this is going?

Friendly advice: Bring a bunch of books, pack some chow in a bag (your stomach will growl something fierce while you watch the clock tick backwards - and you can eat after the lab work in the morning (ask the doc to be sure, though)), and bring a bunch more books.

Prepare to be seen by the friendly staff from the offices of Hurry, Up, and Wait, with branches all over the military.

Looey

lab work and the like

Thanks for the previous replies. They have addressed most of my concerns regarding whats involved with this last obstacle.

But I still have two more questions:

Does the lab work consist entirely of the collection of blood samples? and what does poking/prodding involve exactly?

KBayDog

Looey said:
Does the lab work consist entirely of the collection of blood samples? and what does poking/prodding involve exactly?

Yup - just a few blood samples.

The poking and prodding consists of anthropometrics, hearing exam, eye tests, ECG, turn n cough, bend over n' spread em, etc.

Box

KBayDog said:
Yup - just a few blood samples.
lol yea thats what they told me to, yet when I got my lab paperwork, I had this freaking long list of sample stickers, then i found out it was also folded over 3 times! They ended up taking so much blood so fast, I passed out and apparently almost went into cardiac arrest lmao. They said my last words were.."reaaaal woozy, wooow" and I woke up and said "sweet! what just happened?!" But hey, I turned out ok! :icon_mi_6

RivrGuide

Admiral Hartman 4 Life
pilot
Irritable Bowel Syndrome - just did a paper on it, something like 80% mentally induced, 20% physiologically induced - relax and slow down a bit and it just might go away -

Status
Not open for further replies.