• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Major medical issue.conflict, need advice urgently

darkchariot

Ever since I got my NROTC scholarship and my medical qualification, my acne has quickly progressed from mild/moderate to moderately severe. I went to the doctor today and he advised me to take acutane to nip my acne in the bud before any severe scarring occurs. I'm set to have a blood test tomorrow and get the accutane Thursday.

HOWEVER, I just checked the NROTC med website and it said that accutane use is a disqualifying condition which requires a waiver.

My question is, if I'm already medically qualified, do I need to tell the navy? If so can I get a waiver before I've started treatment (it seems like you can only have it waived after you finish your treatment)?

(don't get me wrong, I want to be completely honest with the Navy, but I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot if you know what I mean)

I'm so lost and confused right now. Obviously I'm not losing my scholarship over something so trivial, but I do not want to commit a fatal error or misstep.

ANYONE who has any advice on this issue, PLEASE help me!
frown.gif

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Tell your unit staff so they are aware of the problem. They will be a lot more willing to work with you if you are honest with them. From what I understand, your problem should clear up after you take the medication, so it isn't a permanent condition (like asthma)...

If you choose not to tell the staff, don't expect them to go to bat for you when the Navy comes knocking on the door.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
How bad do you want the Navy? Bad enough to tell the truth, get a waiver and take the medicine? Or bad enough to suck it up, deal with your acne without prescription meds? Because those are your two choices.

Lying and sea-lawyering around a regulation is a quick way to find yourself on the wrong side of big Navy...talk to your unit, be open and you will get all the help in the world. Try to hide shit and it will bite you in the ass...

darkchariot

No sea-lawyer here ^^

I was just reading another persons post on another forum and they said that the navy regulation is "disqualifying from the time you start taking accutane until 6 weeks after"
Obviously that's beyond my time frame (an accutane cycle is 5-6 months), so I'll just be doing the normal antibiotics which aren't disqualifying.

I want to join the Navy, or else I wouldn't be wasting my time trying to do what's right. I completely willing to dedicate my life to the Navy and my country.

Thanks guys!
DC

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I'm sure it's gonna change, but right now there is an ad for Proactiv in the post above me ;)

The Phiz

pilot
I would definately discuss this with your Unit Staff.

I had a buddy in ROTC that was NPQ'd, and he told me one of the nails in the coffin was Accutane. He took the medication before even showing up to the Unit. Just make sure you get a straight foward answer; I almost got bit on a few things with a broken bone that required surgery. I was told "You should be fine with....." And then NAMI threw a shitstorm.

It took about half a year to resolve the issue, including letters from the surgeon who performed the operation, and a local doc. (Oddly enough, on my first long form, they couldn't care less). Moral is: Get hard fact answers.

darkchariot

Okay thanks Phiz,

I emailed my Unit Staff about 1/2 an hour ago, I'll tell you guys what they say. :)

Thanks again everyone!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Just another little piece of advice...when tossing a grenade into a room, it's better to at least be standing in the hallway. If you ever have a serious issue that needs to be discussed with your advisor, go speak to him/her in their office. It's easier to ask questions and gather information when someone gives you the respect of a face to face meeting. I know it's tough with today's text/email/Facebook mentality, but it'll go a long way for you in the long run

darkchariot

I definitely agree with you on that and will certainly heed your advice.

I talked to my LT yesterday and he said that as long as I either never started or discontinued accutane that I was fine. I got some normal antibiotics today, and everything is good. :)

Thank you all

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
I would definitely try Proactive...and if you need something more than that...try retin-A (it's prescription, but I know people who take it - no waiver required)

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
It seems that the OP's probelm is resolved, but just for posterity...Accutane is serious shit. It does a number on the body which happens to make it amazing for acne. It has psychotropic side effects (probably the reason the Navy is so damn interested in nixing it), and they even used high doses of it to treat my mother's cancer. Just a word of warning to the other pizza faces of the world who also happen to want to be pilots...Stick to the erythromycin unless you do your homework.

JTB7

I would definitely try Proactive...and if you need something more than that...try retin-A (it's prescription, but I know people who take it - no waiver required)

I have tried proactive, and made my acne worse. I got on accutane almost a year and half ago, and six months later my acne was completely gone. It dries the fuck out of your face though.