• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MAJOR IRR Policy Change...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...If you disagree with the fact that people in the IRR are earning 20 years, I am sorry, but it is allowed by Policy.

...Sh*tting on someone for availing themselves of an established policy or procedure is douchebaggery.

I have explicitly stated several times in this thread, as have several others who have argued in support of this new policy, that we don't begrudge folks who took advantage of this policy. Again, it is the old policy that I disagree with and not the people who took advantage of it.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I have explicitly stated several times in this thread, as have several others who have argued in support of this new policy, that we don't begrudge folks who took advantage of this policy. Again, it is the old policy that I disagree with and not the people who took advantage of it.
Copy.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey! How did I get dragged into this fur ball?

It-trailer-bd-6.jpg

subreservist

First, in this discussion I think it's worth being precise on what an "IRR retirement" is; are you against being able to get so much as ONE good year in the IRR? If you do 18 years and then correspondence courses for two and retire, is that bad too? I'm arguing that it's a sliding scale, but allowing just one year is too short. I did JPME over three years, AND it took me over a year to get back to SELRES after that, so I'm kind of comfy with allowing four years.

I agree with you vxc...it would be good to clarify an "IRR retirement"! I definitely don't have an issue with anyone using it, at least in part, for what it is intended. Major events can happen in anyone's life at any moment, and its good to be able to break away from active duty or SELRES to deal with that. I'm pretty comfortable with someone getting 4-6 good years in IRR. Beyond that, you're probably walking the "abusing the system" line. Not surprisingly, that's pretty much what the new policy is allowing.

jason0231

1835 USNR/IRR
ALCON,

Some updates based on my conversations with Millington over the past few days. All of these points apply to IRR officers in the ASP.

- The new guidance does NOT apply to anyone who commissioned from the Blue to Gold program. This came straight from CAPT Howell and PERS-93.

- The new guidance does NOT apply to people with more than 16 years of service.

- Thew new guidance does NOT apply to individuals who have not yet met their 8-year Military Service Obligation (MSO).

I experienced some fear at first because I have 20 'good' years and (wrongly) assumed that those years counted towards my MSO. But since I did not commission until 2013, I will not meet my MSO until 2021.

I am currently trying to find information about VTU/IVTU opportunities OCONUS. More to follow on that when I get it.

Have a great weekend everyone,

J

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I am currently trying to find information about VTU/IVTU opportunities OCONUS. More to follow on that when I get it

There are six IVTU units across the country, one for each NIFR Region:

NR VTU IDC REGION DC
NR VTU IDC REGION MW
NR VTU IDC REGION MA
NR VTU IDC REGION SE
NR VTU IDC REGION NW
NR VTU IDC REGION SW

For the regular VTU units, there are 130 VTU units spread across and assigned to the 123 NOSCs.

Typically what I have seen is that for NIFR people (intel, metoc, IP, etc.) OCONUS (e.g., England, etc.) they were assigned to the NR VTU IDC REGION SE unit in Jacksonville but drilled at, for example, RAF Molesworth.

RESPERSMAN 1300-020 promulgates the management of drilling reservists who are OCONUS.

NOSC Guam is the supporting NOSC for drilling reservists residing in the Pacific Command AOR.

NOSC Jacksonville is the supporting NOSC for drilling reservists residing in the European, Southern, Central and Africa Command AORs.

NOSC Tampa is the supporting NOSC for drilling reservists assigned to SOCOM.

If you need more information on these units, lemme know.

Last edited:

jagM3

Two questions:

-What is the difference between VTU and IVTU?

-Given that this new policy, per jason0231's guidance above, does NOT apply to those who have not reached their 8 year MSO, does that mean we can safely go into or stay in the IRR up until reaching that 8 year MSO and then transfer to a VTU?

I commissioned with 8 years of enlisted active duty time in 2014 and will reach my 8 year MSO in 2022 where I will have a total of 16 years of total good retirement years (8 active, 8 reserve). So I can go IRR and remain IRR until 2022 and then find a VTU to finish out my last 4 years until I hit 20? Am I understanding this correctly?

atmahan

... facility for offence.
Two questions:

I commissioned with 8 years of enlisted active duty time in 2014 and will reach my 8 year MSO in 2022 where I will have a total of 16 years of total good retirement years (8 active, 8 reserve). So I can go IRR and remain IRR until 2022 and then find a VTU to finish out my last 4 years until I hit 20? Am I understanding this correctly?

Due to your 8 years prior and your current 8 Year MOB requirement:

Per the new policy, in 2022 if you have 16 Qualifying Years (that is, you earned at least 35 points either through Drilling/Active Duty or courses/other Inactive programs each year between now and 2022), and if you desire to, you will be able to stay/go IRR, no VTU is necessary.

However, it would be best to least be an O-4 so that you are not attritioned out of the Navy between 2022 and 2026.

O-3s are attitritoned out of the Navy on the 7th month after the O-4 Board in which you become 2XFOS (2nd year in which you failed to advance to O-4) which normally occurs around an officer’s 9-12th commissioned Year. For you, that may be as soon as your 17th Year. Also, O-3s are not covered by the 18-19th Year Sanctuary Policy.

O-2 and O-1s are attritioned out as soon as they fail to select for the next grade the first time.

So, it is best if you aim for O-4 (which means even more SELRES Drilling combined with tougher jobs that show a worthiness to make O-4).

atmahan

... facility for offence.
So, it is best if you aim for O-4 (which means even more SELRES Drilling combined with tougher jobs that show a worthiness to make O-4).

The ironic part here is that this will force you to stay Drilling (SELRES) till at least your 18th Year!

MrSaturn

Contributor
...which in turn may impact promotion...
Thanks for clarifying. Fortunately, I already hit 04 and can hit 20 years. I loved my SELRES unit, but personal sob story ensued. Wanted to give back with BGO next year as I have helped a STEM program recruit regionally for three years. The catch is that the family might have a geographic move in the next months. The family knew about this a year ago. At that time I spoke with a BGO and we both agreed I should wait until after that move occurs. But the new policy is forcing my hand.

I might need to skate with AAs at VTU another year or two until so I can care for the family as wife finishes up. So six months AAs, one month show up... would kill the fitrep but could let me get through the next year or so.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...I might need to skate with AAs at VTU another year or two until so I can care for the family as wife finishes up. So six months AAs, one month show up... would kill the fitrep but could let me get through the next year or so.

I would be cautious about that strategy, that many AA's wouldn't be allowed by many units though I can't speak for NOSC VTU's.

I would be cautious about that strategy, that many AA's wouldn't be allowed by many units though I can't speak for NOSC VTU's.
Yeah, it’s pretty CO-dependent; my first VTU CO Was fine with a day off here and there, but he expected you to work most drill weekends. My second CO offered to set up telecommuting and flex drill through all the right channels, but at that point ( which was only like four months! ) The VTU you had suck the life out of me and I just went IRR (or IRR-ASP to be more precise).

I suspect that if you were upfront about your situation, and stayed off all the hit list you could probably work something out. It just might not be six months of AAs followed by PRT and Medical and another six months of AAs

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
I am still not clear on the policy change in regard to the 16 years and remaining in the IRR. The way I read the policy is that if you do not have 16 years qualifying service based on your anniversary year or more as of 30SEP17 then you have to go SELRES or IRR-VTU. The way I read the policy is that the 30SEP17 date is the drop dead date and that even if you have 16 qualifying years after 30SEP17 then too bad you are out.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am still not clear on the policy change in regard to the 16 years and remaining in the IRR. The way I read the policy is that if you do not have 16 years qualifying service based on your anniversary year or more as of 30SEP17 then you have to go SELRES or IRR-VTU. The way I read the policy is that the 30SEP17 date is the drop dead date and that even if you have 16 qualifying years after 30SEP17 then too bad you are out.

That is how I read the policy as published but it is likely worth it to ask PERS for clarification on that.