• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Major Change while in BDCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobNLa

Does anyone have any experience with trying to change their major after they have been sworn in? I want to get an engineering degree, but it will take an extra year.

punac

They may let you change so long as you can still graduate on your original graduation date.

They allow 3yrs for engineering students, do you have more than that left?

Also if they let you switch to a L.A. degree you will be bumped down to an E-3 and can only reach E-5 while in the program as opposed to E-5 to E-7 for engineering.

jaerose

How do you figure that they'll let you be an E-7 if you go for an engineering degree? You're only an E-5 at OCS, so why would they pay you more during your degree, but cut your pay after graduation (you get E-5 when you graduate...if you haven't gotten it already)? I got my BS in Physics and I'm getting E-5 pay.

JR

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
--Edmund Burke

"So long as there's a breath in me, that long I will persist. For now I know one of the greatest principles of success, if I persist long enough I will win."
--Og Mandino

punac

They let engineering students come in as E-5's and like the rest of BDCP'ers can get 2 promotions while in the program by bringing someone else in and being on the dean's list for two consecutive semesters.

punac

Sorry, forgot something. You enter OCS as an E-5 or as your current rank, which ever one is higher. For example, an E-7 on active duty who applies to OCS and gets selected would receive E-7 pay for that is his rank.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
I was an engineering student, and started out at E-3... but worked my way up to E-5. I heard nothing about the E-5 to E-7 thing. Be wary of that statement.

D

tali264

frax is right - it depends on your designator where you start out (E-3 or E-5). For pilot/NFO you start at E-3. Nuc is E-5. Others I'm not sure.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Go see your recruiter. There's a form you have to fill out before you can make the change. It's like someone else said earlier, the Navy owns you and you must get permission before you change.

Status
Not open for further replies.