• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Major affects chances of getting a pilot slot?

Davfo

So are you saying I should look into a different major? Or maybe stick with the BAS in Electronics and Manufacturing?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the end, it's up to you; if you weren't going in the service, what do you see yourself doing in the civilian workforce?

If you choose the hard path and fail, at least you can say you tried. If you never try the hard path, then you will never know.

-ea6bflyr ;)

MasterBates

The thing is, Electrical Engineering Technology, which I was considering, and any engineering degree in general, seems like it is really difficult. .

Not sure how the boards view Engineering Technology vs Engineering, but in the civilian world it is the difference between a gourmet chef and a cook at McDonald's.
Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

robav8r

None
Contributor
"My advice is to get a digree you want and can use in case aviation doesn't work out for you..."

*sigh*
What is it that you folks don't get? Why do you insist, incesantly I might add, on playing this "what if, what degree, might not work out, I need a graduate degree, can't decide" bullshit? What if your other career doesn't work out for you? What is it that your passionate about? What is it that motivates the hell out of you when you get up in the morning? Find it and chase it - until you're either dead or successful.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Not sure how the boards view Engineering Technology vs Engineering, but in the civilian world it is the difference between a gourmet chef and a cook at McDonald's.
Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

I've had to show transcripts for my Naval Architecture degree a number of times to prove it was a "real" engineering degree (and that is even with having an M.E. as well). Some HR departments (the initial screeners at large to medium companies) might let those engineering-lite degrees through for engineering related jobs but the actual hiring authority will junk them.

All of the jobs I looked at that involved managing engineers wanted real engineering degrees - though DAWIA quals seemed like they could substitute for PM-type positions. I only just retired so that is fairly current info.

jtmedli

pilot
So are you saying I should look into a different major? Or maybe stick with the BAS in Electronics and Manufacturing?

The point here is that at some point, you've just gotta 'man up and get dirty'. I say that in reference to the Math stuff and difficulty of the degree.

Can you go to school for "Cake Baking and Basket Weaving 101" and still get a pilot slot? Yes, absolutely you can. But, if you're not good at math (or whatever) and genuinely want to get better/learn the hard stuff then you're gonna have to suck it up and put the work in to get better and get the degree that you want. If you really want the engineering degree.

I was in the same boat that ea6bflyer was in. I sucked at math in high school and didn't really have the advanced background to do EE in college, but I said "to hell with you" to anyone who doubted me and pushed through the 'hellaciousness' of it in college to get my degree. And yes, it has paid off in the end.

phrogpilot73

Here's the thing - if you select an engineering degree so that it sets you up for aviation (especially at a service academy, where your ability to take 5 years to complete an engineering degree is limited at best), and your mind doesn't work that way/you don't enjoy it... You could end up not graduating because of your grades. I've seen it happen.

Life does not start nor end with being an aviator. I had a buddy that barely graduated from USNA, was a prior Marine - but got SWO. He's now and MH-60S pilot, after having been a SWO and a MH-53E pilot.

Degree means shit. Hard work/good attitude means everything.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
What percentage of Coast Guard pilots fly Helicopters? I know that approximately 65% of all Naval Aviators in the Navy are Helicopter pilots....What is the breakdown for the CG?

-ea6bflyr ;)
Not quite that high. 45% of USN 1310s are rotary.

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
I quit the USNA and I am still here! Sad times though... had to transfer and spend my own money to attend the U of Arizona. Lots of wasted money on beer and booze. If I could only choose again~

Ha, ha....I graduated USCGA and often wish I had transferred and spent my money on beer and booze at a 'normal' college!

Probably a good thing I CAN'T choose again.

Brunes

pilot
Ha, ha....I graduated USCGA and often wish I had transferred and spent my money on beer and booze at a 'normal' college!

Probably a good thing I CAN'T choose again.
x2 (million). I as all set to go to RPI and I get a late call about an alternate spot at CGA. And look at me now!!!!!

Brunes

pilot
A bit off topic, but how competitive is it to go to HITRON? Only a few more weeks till CATP!

Not extremely - most 65 drivers are going to either Atlantic City or HITRON within their first 3 tours - so if you seek a spot at one of those two-you have a decent chance of getting it.

And yes-Rensselaer -My buddy was going to the SUNY Albany campus so we were gunna light upstate NY on fire.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
*sigh*
What is it that you folks don't get? Why do you insist, incesantly I might add, on playing this "what if, what degree, might not work out, I need a graduate degree, can't decide" bullshit? What if your other career doesn't work out for you? What is it that your passionate about? What is it that motivates the hell out of you when you get up in the morning? Find it and chase it - until you're either dead or successful.

I understand the romance in your declaration, but ultimately, we need to be pragmatic. Have a plan A, do your damndest to make it work, but have a plan b c and d. If you don't, well.... then good luck. Just like the sailors I tell at CDBs to come up with multiple plans and actually start carrying them out instead of "I'm just gonna get out of the Navy, and I'll figure it out then".

It's a nice thought to invest EVERYTHING into a career in art, but it may not be the most financially successful plan.