• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Major affects chances of getting a pilot slot?

MasterBates

I've just run into the "have a good major" situation with a friend last week.

Army Officer. Getting out. Armor guy, so not a whole ton of carryover to the real world. Smart, but has a degree in Art History. It's limiting his options. He still has good options, but not in locations he likes.

You may love Art, but you need to be able to pay the bills. You can parlay your Officer "experience" into a lot of jobs, but certain jobs have a tech/hard science degree as an entry barrier.

I prefer to have more doors open, or at least unlocked.

SamAca10

I know you need an engineering degree to go to Test Pilot School, but is that opportunity available to us coasties?

Brunes

pilot
The opportunity to be a test pilot? Yes-Very limited (like one slot every few years if I remember right).

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
I know you need an engineering degree to go to Test Pilot School, but is that opportunity available to us coasties?

Yea....limited spots like Brunes said and from I remember they are typically given to those in the aviation engineering track.

parrothead08

KCCO
pilot
My onwing (coastie) in HT-28 has an Art History degree. He joined the Coast Guard because he didn't want to be a poor hipster (his words). Was assigned as a SAR controller. Worked hard, got into flight. Now is getting a Masters in Art History while instructing at 28. Says he's getting the most out of life. The story is pretty funny the way he tells it.

I graduated toward the bottom of my CGA class; majored in our version of Poly Sci. Went to a boat; worked hard and got the OERs to get in to flight school. Going to a ship is a good experience. It's also what every other officer in the CG did until 6 years ago or so.

I haven't had any issues with grades in Pensacola/Milton. I'm not the smartest dude and I probably have to study more than a lot of people.

Short version: Work your ass off, listen to the people who have more experience/know more than you, think before you talk, repeat.