• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Maint...er...MD State Police jobs

busdriver

None
Master, did you look into MSP aviation during your civi job search? I only ask as the MSP/HSC-84 combo is something I thought about when daydreaming about my post AF life.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm guessing he's talking about maint. pilot.

Moved discussion to it's own thread so not to clobber the other one.

phrogpilot73

I thought he meant Maryland State Police... It's one of the only Law Enforcement Agencies that I know of that hires civilian pilots. Pay is pretty decent from what I understand, I've got a buddy that retired from the USMC and is now flying for them.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'll update the title when busdriver comes back and clarifies. I was hoping it was "Maintenance" so he and RobL could elaborate.

busdriver

None
Sorry fellas, I did indeed mean Maryland State Police.

There is a contract for civilian maintenance check pilots at the various Air Force H-60 bases, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get renewed in the future.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Its a good chance those are federal technician jobs. The Army and Air Guard use technicians almost extensively for maintenance pilot positions.

But since this thread is about Maryland State Police, disregard any further comments. I know nothing about them. Although I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

phrogpilot73

I don't think MB would really like the MSP, being as how they're in Maryland. He and the politics wouldn't get along so well there...

I looked into it, and it looks like they changed their requirements. They used to require 2000 PIC hours. Now it's just 2000 total RW hours.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Those AW139s look pretty sweet. However, some of those duty stations are in some podunk areas. Phrog, what did you hear from your buddies on QOL/location placement/schedule?

phrogpilot73

Those AW139s look pretty sweet. However, some of those duty stations are in some podunk areas. Phrog, what did you hear from your buddies on QOL/location placement/schedule?
I grew up in Maryland (Annapolis to be specific) so I already knew what QOL was going to be like in each duty station. When I talked to their recruiters a while back, they said you'd train at Trooper 1 or Trooper 2 (if I remember correctly), because those are the two busiest. Of course, that training would be after the factory training they were supposed to send you to. Once you were done training - it'll sound familiar: "needs of the MSP". Truth be told, the only duty station I was NOT interested in was Trooper 5, and the only reason I was not interested was because I was looking at commuting from Odenton, MD. I don't remember what the sked was though. FWIW - no one that was flying for the MSP was looking to leave anytime soon, that should give some SA on QOL/sked...

Of course, I never took the job because PSW had orders down here...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Phrog, did they have a patrol requirement before they'd allow you to fly? I know that can vary from agency to agency.

busdriver

None
MSP pilots are not officers they're civilian employees, so no need to do any patrolling first. I bring it up since I also grew up in MD and always thought it'd be a cool way to stay flying and get back home, politics may suck but crab cakes make it worth while.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I grew up in Annapolis, as well, but the thought of going back up to MD isn't high on my list. That said, it's an interesting prospect, especially if the QOL and pay is decent. So if you're a civilian employee, how does that work for LE? Are you sworn? I'm not even sure what the right question is to ask, but curious how that whole setup works both admin-wise and legally.