• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mail order scam

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
This thread will probably get closed before anyone can post, but thought I would warn you all to be vigilant!

Just thought I would pass this on in case anyone else runs across it. My wife got a letter in the mail today. It contained a check for $2962.30 and a letter from "Global Processing Group" identifying her as the winner of $50,000. Legitimate looking until you get to the third paragraph which reads "enclosed is a check of $2962.30 USD, payable to you and MUST be deposited into your bank account only to pay for your processing fees and international taxes...". Seems the GPG is located in St Thomas, Virgin Islands. Oh yeah, the bank is located in Roselle, Illinois. Did I mention the envelope didn't have a return address? Only
"060920 20:42 H4T 1A0 056
De Partout jusqu'a vous
From anwhere to anyone" and a stamp from Canada?

Well, the first thing that came to mind when I saw it was that motorcycle scam that's been going around. You know, here's a check for $5000 for a $2000 bike, please send us the remaining $3000? Well, I got on the internet and found this website: http://www.scamvictimsunited.com/ph...er=asc&start=30

Fortunately, I wasn't that naive. Keep your eyes open and watch out for your family/friends! I'll be showing this stuff to my Marines in the morning so they can see that the threat is out there! In case someone didn't recognize the scam, basically they want you to deposit the check into your account and immediately Western Union the money to someone else. Well, lo and behold, a couple weeks down the road that check you've deposited is going to bounce and you're out $2900!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This thread will probably get closed before anyone can post, but thought I would warn you all to be vigilant!

Just thought I would pass this on in case anyone else runs across it. My wife got a letter in the mail today. It contained a check for $2962.30 and a letter from "Global Processing Group" identifying her as the winner of $50,000. Legitimate looking until you get to the third paragraph which reads "enclosed is a check of $2962.30 USD, payable to you and MUST be deposited into your bank account only to pay for your processing fees and international taxes...". Seems the GPG is located in St Thomas, Virgin Islands. Oh yeah, the bank is located in Roselle, Illinois. Did I mention the envelope didn't have a return address? Only
"060920 20:42 H4T 1A0 056
De Partout jusqu'a vous
From anwhere to anyone" and a stamp from Canada?

Well, the first thing that came to mind when I saw it was that motorcycle scam that's been going around. You know, here's a check for $5000 for a $2000 bike, please send us the remaining $3000? Well, I got on the internet and found this website: http://www.scamvictimsunited.com/ph...er=asc&start=30

Fortunately, I wasn't that naive. Keep your eyes open and watch out for your family/friends! I'll be showing this stuff to my Marines in the morning so they can see that the threat is out there! In case someone didn't recognize the scam, basically they want you to deposit the check into your account and immediately Western Union the money to someone else. Well, lo and behold, a couple weeks down the road that check you've deposited is going to bounce and you're out $2900!

Looks like a Canadian postal code too, those damn Canadians......:icon_rage

Seriously, thanks for the heads up. I shred all those 'checks' and all offers for mortgages, credit cards, etc.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A check "suitable for framing"...and nothing more.

Fake-Check-13.jpg

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Is there any reason you can't just cash the check and "Scam the Scammers"? I guess it would bounce, but wouldn't that be their problem (or the banks)?

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
It would be their problem IF it was a legitimate account. Otherwise, it would be my problem if I spent the money. The bank would want that money back when the check bounced.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
I actually fell for this.

Thank goodness that my new friend in Nigeria will be wiring me a lot more money just to help him get all of his wealth out of the country. I should have it next week.

melissanavy07

I actually fell for this.

Thank goodness that my new friend in Nigeria will be wiring me a lot more money just to help him get all of his wealth out of the country. I should have it next week.

Did you get a "Dear Friend" email from a person trying to get you to help them get their money out of the country? I hate to break it to you, but those are scams. I get about a million of those junk emails in my yahoo mailbox everyday. I don't know what their game is, but I'm willing to bet it's something illegal.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Did you get a "Dear Friend" email from a person trying to get you to help them get their money out of the country? I hate to break it to you, but those are scams. I get about a million of those junk emails in my yahoo mailbox everyday. I don't know what their game is, but I'm willing to bet it's something illegal.

I think he realizes that is a scam... ;)

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
The "Dear Friend" emails that I've been getting in my Yahoo acct is getting very old quickly. I get about 10-12 per day, and everytime I get one, I put them on my blocked address list. You're only allow 500 blocked addresses, and I'm already at like 385 in 1 month. Someone has more time on their hands than what its worth. I'm curious as to how many people "actually" fall for those emails, and what damage it causes. I'm sure it's illegal, especially when they're referring to a death of someone, and bring up a link to an article that tells how that person died, just to make their claim legit. Losers

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The "Dear Friend" emails that I've been getting in my Yahoo acct is getting very old quickly. I get about 10-12 per day, and everytime I get one, I put them on my blocked address list. You're only allow 500 blocked addresses, and I'm already at like 385 in 1 month. Someone has more time on their hands than what its worth. I'm curious as to how many people "actually" fall for those emails, and what damage it causes. I'm sure it's illegal, especially when they're referring to a death of someone, and bring up a link to an article that tells how that person died, just to make their claim legit. Losers

If you report it as spam (using the provided button) in lieu of just blocking it, there's no limit and it helps refine Yahoo's own internal spam filter. I get very little actual spam on Yahoo in my inbox, but get 100-200 spam emails that get directed right into the trash.

Brett

melissanavy07

Hmm, I never got a link but they did ask for my bank account numbers. The first time I thought it was great, but then I had 10 emails with the same information from different senders. :rolleyes: I have reported about a 1000 of them as spam.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
You're missing an opportunity here, I think. Don't just block them, humiliate them.

You familiar with "baiting?" You do stuff like, "You know, I can send you my bank number, but first I need to see a picture of you doing (insert random humiliating pose) so I know you're legitimate." There's an art to it.

Examples:

Attachments

• samuel_eze4.jpg
    samuel_eze4.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 68
  • tope2.jpg
    tope2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 55
  • tope3.jpg
    tope3.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 57
  • stev_ebe.jpg