• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mac CAC preferred setup?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Any Mac users out there have a preferred setup for using a CAC reader? I'm running Yosemite right now and don't feel like nuking this problem (boot camp, etc); plug and play would be preferred.

Pags

N/A
pilot
http://militarycac.com/apple.htm

This site has it wired. Step by step directions on how to configure certificates etc. Should have everything you need.
I started there, but there was a lot of information overload and too many choices. Essentially I didn't want to spend a day researching the best CAC reader, I just wanted something I could plug and play. Squorch's nerd/field tested solution was exactly what I was looking for.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any CAC reader will do. Get the design you like. I use this one, but any of them will work.
Sad part is that the NEX is ripping off sailors by charging 29.95 for the exact same card reader. SMH.

BTW, I stopped using my card reader at home because I refuse to do Navy work at home (plus it helps that I retired and I no longer give a sh*t)

ChuckM

pilot
I started there, but there was a lot of information overload and too many choices. Essentially I didn't want to spend a day researching the best CAC reader, I just wanted something I could plug and play. Squorch's nerd/field tested solution was exactly what I was looking for.

Maybe worth mentioning, maybe not with that software, but the OWA links on that page with the East coast, West coast and Europe URLs can be really useful. Sometimes one will be down or hugely congested, where the others work well.

Common errors are selecting the email certificate vs DOD certificate depending on what that particular site wants. When in doubt, close and relaunch browser forcing it to ask for a certificate again, as Safari seems to cache the last one used.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
If you pick the wrong certificate and Safari won't bring up the certificate picker, use the following steps:

1) Quit Safari. Not just close windows, quit.
2) Launch Keychain Access.
2a) If necessary, click the padlock icon on the left side of the window and enter your admin password
3) Type in a word from the address of the site you're having trouble with. ("webmail" works for OWA, for instance.)
4) Select and delete the Identity Preference key(s).

Keychain_Access.png

That should do it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What are you looking to do? I have done the MilitaryCAC website and it was just too much as well and when it did work it only did so for a little while, I basically gave up. I have found a few sites that do work though with Chrome or Firefox so you might want to give either of those a try.

The whole damn world is compatible Mac but the Navy, another example of just how fucked up Navy IT really is (and don't come up with the sad excuse 'because of security' because that is just plain bullshit).

Pags

N/A
pilot
What are you looking to do? I have done the MilitaryCAC website and it was just too much as well and when it did work it only did so for a little while, I basically gave up. I have found a few sites that do work though with Chrome or Firefox so you might want to give either of those a try.

The whole damn world is compatible Mac but the Navy, another example of just how fucked up Navy IT really is (and don't come up with the sad excuse 'because of security' because that is just plain bullshit).
Contingent plan for telework, so largely just OWA. Also, DAU without the NMCI sped handicaps (I don't need a CAC for DAU though).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Joint Staff now issues iPhones in lieu of BB to some folks. I'm sure someone has it figured out.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Maybe worth mentioning, maybe not with that software, but the OWA links on that page with the East coast, West coast and Europe URLs can be really useful. Sometimes one will be down or hugely congested, where the others work well.

Common errors are selecting the email certificate vs DOD certificate depending on what that particular site wants. When in doubt, close and relaunch browser forcing it to ask for a certificate again, as Safari seems to cache the last one used.
I have multiple identities...so at some sights I need to pick the right email certain (looking at you DCS*).

*i want to smack whoever decided to go away from Adobe's DCO. I hoped they're saving a ton of money because DCS is a not effective replacement for DCO.