• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

M1 vs .223 For Christmas

Which one as my first long gun?

• M1

Votes: 22 88.0%

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters

MasterBates

I have 2 CMP M1s
One Greek rack grade
One Special. It's really nice.
Both were among the best deals I have ever gotten in guns.

Sent via my HTC EVO 4G

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
I just dropped an order in the mail for a Harrington & Richardson Service Grade M1. If you check out the CMP Forums, people have been very happy with the HRA SGs they've been receiving lately. Besides, Springfields are backordered and the Winchesters are going for $800 due to their collectibility. At $595, the HRAs are a steal, especially with the new hard cases the CMP has been shipping.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I just dropped an order in the mail for a Harrington & Richardson Service Grade M1. If you check out the CMP Forums, people have been very happy with the HRA SGs they've been receiving lately. Besides, Springfield's are back ordered and the Winchesters are going for $800 due to their collectibility. At $595, the HRAs are a steal, especially with the new hard cases the CMP has been shipping.

Those late HRA and Springfield's are as good as it gets in a Garand. I have 2 HRA and 1 Springfield correct grades that truly look almost unfired. Barely a scuff on the bolt lugs. They aren't rebuilds either. My IH shooter is a service grade and it's almost as nice.

Get'em while you can boys......

foleyswole85

I vote for both as well, its hard to lose money while investing in firearms if you use your brain. I own both and love both. The Garand carries history, practicality, great accuracy and shear knock down power, I've watched them double in price at gun shows over the last 5 years. And if you're just popping off rounds, .75 cent Walmart ammo feeds fine.

But in regards to the AR platform, my M4 is probably the weapon I "fondle" the most and is sweet as pie to shoot. It is endlessly customizable, upgradable, ergonomic, easy optics mounting, cheap ammo, less moving parts= easier to clean (unless you're a lucky SOB with a full auto) No recoil, lighter weight (depending on configuration)

The choice is yours, but as everyone else has said, M1s are finite. Even if someone starts reproducing them, they won't carry the history as the original ones do. ARs are a dime a dozen now because manufacturers wanted to sell as many as possible before the liberals banned them. Providing we don't give them a chance to ban, you should be able to pick up an AR for a while to come.

Brad

foleyswole85

.75 cent rounds?

Wow, you're over-paying for .30-06 like crazy!

Enlighten me Obi Wan, I am but a dumb college boy. Where can you get it cheaper? Doesn't seem like its that much cheaper at a gun show and unless you're buying big bulk online is it worth the offset in shipping charges? Not being a smart a$$, I'd really like to know...

Anyway sorry to thread jack....

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Here's a start:

http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.30-06_Springfield

More in line with the discussion in this thread, try this

http://www.thecmp.org/ammosales.htm

CMP's Pyrkal HXP is M2 ball ammo, available all day every day at $0.50/round.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "in bulk" is. The HXP spam can with 192 rounds in enbloc clips doesn't last all that many days at the range -- I keep about 1000 rounds on hand most of the time, but reorder when I get down around 400.

It's just not cost effective to buy in 20 or 50 round lots.

foleyswole85

ahhhh much obliged sir, I had always heard that CMP sold ammo but last time I had looked (been a while) it was out of stock. Pretty good deal with enblocs too.... I think those 20rd Walmart boxes I've been buying are close to $14, definitely not cost effective.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This thread comes down to the fundamental question of "how do I (a) have lot's of time to enjoy my toys while (b) being independently wealthy to buy said toys."

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
More in line with the discussion in this thread, try this

http://www.thecmp.org/ammosales.htm

CMP's Pyrkal HXP is M2 ball ammo, available all day every day at $0.50/round.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "in bulk" is. The HXP spam can with 192 rounds in enbloc clips doesn't last all that many days at the range -- I keep about 1000 rounds on hand most of the time, but reorder when I get down around 400.

It's just not cost effective to buy in 20 or 50 round lots.

Sir, like you I shoot the CMP Greek stuff in enbloc clips all the time. It's a great buy plus you end up with the enblocs (which aren't cheap anymore) to use with loose ammo.

I've never tested this on one of my Garands but I've always heard that it's a good idea not to shoot rounds with heavier bullets. Not sure if that's true or not but op rods aren't cheap and the CMP Greek stuff is straight up M2 ball so I don't worry about it.

This thread comes down to the fundamental question of "how do I (a) have lot's of time to enjoy my toys while (b) being independently wealthy to buy said toys."

I'm not retired but my kids are all out of the house so I have plenty of time to shoot. I'm not wealthy either but I've solved that problem by spending all my retirement savings on guns and ammo. The heck with it. My daughter said I could live in her basement.

HackerF15E

None
I've never tested this on one of my Garands but I've always heard that it's a good idea not to shoot rounds with heavier bullets. Not sure if that's true or not but op rods aren't cheap and the CMP Greek stuff is straight up M2 ball so I don't worry about it.

Are you referencing shooting non-military spec rounds in a Garand?

The issue there so far as I'm aware is the amount of powder (commercial .30-'06 Springfield ammo has a larger charge than M2 ball does), which can damage op rods if a variable gas tube plug isn't used.

HackerF15E

None
ahhhh much obliged sir, I had always heard that CMP sold ammo but last time I had looked (been a while) it was out of stock. Pretty good deal with enblocs too.... I think those 20rd Walmart boxes I've been buying are close to $14, definitely not cost effective.

It's worth your while to check back in every so often, too. CMP occasionally offers other lots of milsurp ammo outside of the spam-can HXP that is usually a great value, too.

For example, they recently offered HXP in metal links for about $0.40/round. If you have the enblocs all ready, and don't find it a chore to de-link machine gun ammo, it's a great value. Plus they shipped in nice WWII-era reusable ammo cans.

3fa3752b.jpg

Here's what the standard clipped HXP in the 192-round spam can looks like:

749d4bd2.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So since I seem to be hemorrhaging money for gun stuff lately anyway, I'm thinking of jumping on the bandwagon here. I'll have to wait until CMP opens after the holidays to ask them some paperwork questions, but based off what their website says right now, what's "the" way to go? HRA, SA or the Winchester (I'm thinking Service grade here if that isn't obvious)? I know the short answer is to do some research, and I will (my buying OCD won't allow me NOT too), but what say you here?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Are you referencing shooting non-military spec rounds in a Garand?

The issue there so far as I'm aware is the amount of powder (commercial .30-'06 Springfield ammo has a larger charge than M2 ball does), which can damage op rods if a variable gas tube plug isn't used.

Sorry I just saw this...yes that's what I was referencing....good to know

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
So ... what's "the" way to go? HRA, SA or the Winchester ...
It doesn't matter as 'they' will probably NOT be 'collectible' ... but very 'shootable' ... is that a word ??? IF THEY WERE 'collectible' ... you would be a fool to shoot 'em up.

Get the best conditioned M1 Garand you can afford & is available, no matter what the manufacturer ... and it will shoot and shoot and shoot ... and provide you w/ decades of satisfaction.