• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

M1 vs .223 For Christmas

Which one as my first long gun?

• M1

Votes: 22 88.0%

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters

Ace_Austin

pilot
Alright ladies and gents, I'm home in a non California state where I can buy myself a long gun with zero hassle. (As it should be.) I'm torn though; get myself an AR based platform in the .223 or get one of the CMP new build M1s. One of these is going to end up in my stable for Christmas. I'm open to input at this point.

H60Gunner

Contributor
I, personally would go for the M1. I really do not know how many M1's are left in the world, AR's will be around for many many years.

Flugelman

Contributor
At some point in time the M-1s will no longer be available. Evil black assault rifles will be. Go for the history.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Nothing like a CMP Garand....everyone should own at least one. It's your duty, kinda like voting. Something about having Federal Express deliver a main battle rifle directly to my front door really trips my trigger.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
I'm actually faxing off an M1 order here in a couple days. I picked up a very nice M1 Carbine right before the bubble popped, and I don't want to miss out on a Garand. Go with the M1.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
CMP does not make "new-build" M-1s.

The CMP Specials are made from USGI receivers, new commercial barrels, USGI parts, and an aftermarket stock. They are fantastic rifles, but they're not new construction.

In answer to the question, though...Garand, definitely. Every American should have one. Any firearms collection has a gaping hole in it without one.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I'm taking my International Harvester out for a drive Sunday. She's a sweet shooter that came from the CMP with a LMR barrel. It doesn't get much better than that.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I'm taking my International Harvester out for a drive Sunday. She's a sweet shooter that came from the CMP with a LMR barrel. It doesn't get much better than that.

Lucky bastard! I'm hoping that a massive stash of IHCs is uncovered by the CMP...the tractor is the only thing missing from my harem of Garands.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Lucky bastard! I'm hoping that a massive stash of IHCs is uncovered by the CMP...the tractor is the only thing missing from my harem of Garands.

Me too. So many of them come with LMR barrels. The receivers can be a little rough compared to later H/R and Springfield's but the LMR makes up for it in spades. I'm a brand short again too. A friend talked me out of my 1942 Winchester last week. The Winnie was a bit rough around the edges but if she could talk the tales she could tell. Born in dark days of 1942 she was a war baby for sure. Now my friend and his new Winchester can start a proper rifleman's education for his son.

Buy a Garand and teach your children to be riflemen. It's every man's duty and it's never too late.