• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lt. Osborn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunnerdd972

I am happy that Lt. Oosborn has been awarded the Flying cross and MSM, for his efforts in bringing the plane down with all crew members safley. I just found something intersting on the Navy's web-site, www.navy.mil. Click on "Around the fleet", the new image is Lt. Osborn salutes the Chairman of the Joint Cheifs of Staff. Click on the "High-rez", If you notice Lt. Osborn's ribbions, MUC, Battle "E", and the Armed Forces Expeditionary medal. The Armed Forces medal is on backwards, the blue stripe goes towards the heart. I just seem to pick that stuff up. Like how many people in here can pick out almost all of the mistakes in Top Gun?
Just my .02

GM2(SW) Hosehead

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
GM2,
I know EVERY mistake that was made on Top Gun. Care to challenge me?

--Steve (LTJG type)

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I checked out the Navy's picture of LT Osborn. BTW, I have a GM1 Osborne (any relation?). What I am curious about regarding his ribbons is his Battle "E". How in the hell does a P-3 pilot get a Battle "E"? I was pretty sure that award was reserved for the best ship in the Battle Group over a deployment. Somebody please enlighten me!

--Steve

gunnerdd972

I think that the battle "E" that Lt. Osborn has is from a squadron. I don't know if the battle "E" is just for ships or not? And as for knowing every mistake in Top Gun which I think I don't,(mainly because I am not an aviatior and that would put me at a disadvantage). But anyway I was on James Lawerance's Top Gun web-site, and was looking at his mistakes that he has noted. And one that he has not noted is one that stikes out to me. Almost at the end of the movie when Maverick is on alert 5, you see a shot of a A-6 or a E-A6B, not sure which one, the number on the wing is 515. I don't know how the people who put this movie together can mistake the ass end of an A-6 with a F-14

GM2(SW) Hosehead

Edited by - gunnerdd972 on 05/20/2001 20:59:21

Edited by - gunnerdd972 on 05/20/2001 21:00:07

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am not a (Naval) aviator either, but I guarantee you I know all (if not most of) the mistakes made in Top Gun.

Believe me, Gunner, there are many things in Top Gun that just shouldn't be there.

Randy Haskin

quote:
Believe me, Gunner, there are many things in Top Gun that just shouldn't be there.

The more experience I get flying fighters, the funnier it gets every time I watch Top Gun.

Things I Learned About Naval Aviation From Top Gun:

I never knew the Navy flew 2 v 1 ACM in a 3-ship close trail formation.

I never knew that Naval 3-1 comm included such vital things like "Banking Left, Banking Left."

I never knew that the AWG-9 radar on the Tomcat was capable of 360* sweep like an AWACS, thus the circular radar scope in the 'pit.

I never knew that F-14 pilot had the ability to hear the AIM-9 upgrade tone from the *other guy's* missile in his own cockpit.

I never knew that "hitting the brakes, he'll fly right by" was a viable BFM maneuver, and that it was accomplished by plugging both throttles into Stage 5 afterburner and hauling the stick all the way into your lap.

There's lots more, but this is what I remember off the top of my skull having not seen the flick in quite a while.

beau

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Battle E is awarded to the best squadron in the airwing(most efficent squadron). My fathers squadron got this award in 1987 when he was the CO of VAQ-132. So yes they are given to squadrons.

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

beau

Sir,

Thats some funny stuff. All bad hollywood ju-ju.

I like it when Mav does the alerion roll right after take off from the carrier........now just turn in your wings in to the Cag for that little maneuver.

Or the hard deck at 10,000 feet yet you see jester and mav and goose battling it our over the ground at about 200 feet off the deck........hmmmmmmmmmmm? and the whole hud symbology and the maskes off the face......I could go on for hours

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Dave Shutter

While I agree with everyone here 150% on this topic (especially after watching STRIPES and then actually doing boot at FT. Knox) I do have to say two words in defense of my filmmaking bretheren: Creative License...

BTW, TOPGUN afficionados, who can spot LTCDR. C.J. "Heater" Heatley III? (Photojournalist of "THE CUTTING EDGE" and F-14 Cinematography consultant for the producers) I'll give you a hint, he get's to shares a close-up with the former Mr. Kidman.

D

Randy Haskin

quote:
BTW, TOPGUN afficionados, who can spot LTCDR. C.J. "Heater" Heatley III? (Photojournalist of "THE CUTTING EDGE" and F-14 Cinematography consultant for the producers) I'll give you a hint, he get's to shares a close-up with the former Mr. Kidman.

I don't own a copy of the movie, but isn't Heater in attendance at the "graduation" ceremony?

I have an interesting feature I taped off Seattle local TV right about the time Top Gun came out; it's Heater giving a local reporter a ride in a Tomcat...interesting stuff.

Dave Shutter

quote:isn't Heater in attendance at the "graduation" ceremony?

RIGHT YOU ARE, Wow, and I thought I was the only geek who knew the answer to that one?! Randy, How did you know, did you read or hear that somewhere or did you actually recognize him from his pic in the flap of his book? I was watching it one day and was checking out the ribbons on the "actor" behind Cruise when he got his orders (I thought he was a little funny looking compared to all the others) and it hit me: Holy Sh*t! That's Heater!

...my big thing about the movie, in the end, is that while "Mav" and "Ice" have Admiralty locked up for their heroic deeds, the CO&CAG of "Indi" probably get canned for forgetting to actually bring F-14 aircrew out on their cruise, why else whould they have to Fed-ex the cast from Miramar?!

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 05/27/2001 00:38:52

Randy Haskin

quote:
did you read or hear that somewhere or did you actually recognize him from his pic in the flap of his book..

After he gained a little notoriety after "The Cutting Edge", I actually met Heater signing his book at an airshow one year. In addition, I have that video where he makes the tv reporter hurl in the back of the Tomkitty, so facial recognition, I guess. :)

quote:
the CO&CAG of "Indi" probably get canned for forgetting to actually bring F-14 aircrew out on their cruise

What?? The 5 or 6 Tomcat airrews that are at TG for that particular rotation aren't the *only* F-14 crews there are?! Oh, yeah, they're just the top 1%...so somewhere out there 99% of the fleet F-14 aircrews are missing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.