• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lowest OAR Score

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
And I understand that test are the backbone of the Navy and with out them people would not be able to advance in the Enlisted world. However, I just wanted to see if anyone has ever seen this first hand and not just tell me that they think people that are taking the OAR and cannot advance have some type of issue with themselves. Anyway thank you for the information . It was just a question .

You got an answer. You have to remember, you’re are also competing against fellow enlisted who can manage to score well on the OAR exam.

Dalilali

So all these smart a** answers you guys really believe that no one has ever become an officer with a 35 OAR? And only people that have a 50 or above commission? LOL.. Also, it states in the 1420.1 that 35 is the minimum score required but it is not competitive at all.

Thanks for the answers. None of them which answered my initial question. Which was do you know of anyone that has ever commissioned with a OAR in the low 30s because I was reading the 1420.1. So I am asking has anyone ever seen it.

AULANI

Ditto.

I was on OHARP for 3 months and administered the OAR at least 2 times a day/5 times a week at my location. Everyone who scored in the 30's retook the exam or realized the Navy was not for them. The people that came back for round two all scored in the 50's the second time around (probably because they actually studied for it). Everyone that was picked up (for various programs) while I was there did not score below a 45.

exNavyOffRec

So all these smart a** answers you guys really believe that no one has ever become an officer with a 35 OAR? And only people that have a 50 or above commission? LOL.. Also, it states in the 1420.1 that 35 is the minimum score required but it is not competitive at all.

Thanks for the answers. None of them which answered my initial question. Which was do you know of anyone that has ever commissioned with a OAR in the low 30s because I was reading the 1420.1. So I am asking has anyone ever seen it.

I never say a person commission with an OAR in the 30's, and the program authorizations trump the 1420.1 so if the 1420.1 says 35 and the PA says 45 the 1420.1 is wrong.

Hair Warrior

Contributor

:rolleyes:

subreservist

Unless you already blew your 3 opportunities to test (which is the impression you're giving based on your question), study up and get the score needed for the program you want. Go hard or go home!

Dalilali

Thanks for the answers everyone. As I went asking around there are waivers for active duty military personnel that score less then a 40. Also, they look at everything. PRT score, evals and experience over all. So if you have never seen it, has happened. For civilians it is not a thing unless the PAs don’t say that there is a minimum score required. Which they all say 40 or better. However, in some instances there have been people that commission with scores as low as 32 but they have to have an immaculate military record.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the answers everyone. As I went asking around there are waivers for active duty military personnel that score less then a 40. Also, they look at everything. PRT score, evals and experience over all. So if you have never seen it, has happened. For civilians it is not a thing unless the PAs don’t say that there is a minimum score required. Which they all say 40 or better. However, in some instances there have been people that commission with scores as low as 32 but they have to have an immaculate military record.

I don't know who is telling you this but much of this is wrong, SOME designators (ie SWO) will waiver down to 40, but like a senior board member once said "why take someone with a waiver when we have many to pick from without", yes they do look at your record to make sure your PRT is in line with what is needed to be an officer but that is a go no-go, it doesn't help you get selected, it just lets you get looked at, evals almost same thing, they take a few minutes on each application, they rarely spend time to read each eval, with several designators the first cut is quick and brutal. often barely looking at the applications.

Take @subreservist advice, study then retake.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor

First of all:

Then ≠ Than.

And...

5a4.jpg

With that out of the way, study harder, shipmate. I scored 8, 8, 8, and 62 on the OAR and I attribute it to all the time I spent with the Barrons study guide, it was great. To be honest, you do NOT want to be an officer if you're just barely going to squeak by -- you'll be overwhelmed. I know it's easy to think we all sit on our asses and screw off, but it's a different type of work. You don't want to start behind the power curve because when the shit hits the fan, you'll sink. None of us know you, but you know yourself, so put in the time and effort to study and get the scores you need. Nobody wants a guy in the wardroom who had to waiver his way in on testing standards, nor do you want to be that guy. Shit, we have enough bad officers.

Goodluck. Oh, and btw, snarky replies to the CDRs and other old farts around here are not going to win you a lot of friends or help in the future. I recommend humble and let the rest of us talk shit to @Brett327, respectfully, of course.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Leaning on your prior enlisted status to waive away what is honestly a dismal OAR score is poor form. If you can’t demonstrate basic academic skills, perhaps a commission isn’t a good fit.

Dalilali

First of all:

Then ≠ Than.

And...

5a4.jpg

With that out of the way, study harder, shipmate. I scored 8, 8, 8, and 62 on the OAR and I attribute it to all the time I spent with the Barrons study guide, it was great. To be honest, you do NOT want to be an officer if you're just barely going to squeak by -- you'll be overwhelmed. I know it's easy to think we all sit on our asses and screw off, but it's a different type of work. You don't want to start behind the power curve because when the shit hits the fan, you'll sink. None of us know you, but you know yourself, so put in the time and effort to study and get the scores you need. Nobody wants a guy in the wardroom who had to waiver his way in on testing standards, nor do you want to be that guy. Shit, we have enough bad officers.

Goodluck. Oh, and btw, snarky replies to the CDRs and other old farts around here are not going to win you a lot of friends or help in the future. I recommend humble and let the rest of us talk shit to @Brett327, respectfully, of course.

It’s all respectfully. However, I was just asking it didn’t sound right to me that a 35 would be in the 1420 and everywhere I saw a 40 and over. I get it, the score needs to be over a 40. It was all out of curiosity.

Dalilali

First of all:

Then ≠ Than.

And...

5a4.jpg

Yah you’re right.