• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Low ASTB's

DPS2114

I just took the ASTB and scored a 4/4/4 46. I am trying to go OCS pilot. I graduated with a 3.5 from an excellent private college in the northeast, played sports in college and high school, and have excellent reference's who are well known in my area.

Given all that what do I need to get these scores up too to be competitive?

Secondly, with the exception of spatial appreciation I bombed the aviation portion. Does anyone have any suggestions for books, study guides, etc that have been useful specific to the ASTB? Having no aviation background I was over whelmed with all of the information that various people suggested for study.

Any input in appreciated.

exNavyOffRec

You don't need multiple threads on the same subject, I am sure the moderators will merge them.

When it comes to aviation the ASTB is king, followed by GPA. A guy with great ASTB scores from a Tier 4 college will generally get picked over someone from a private Tier 1 college with low ASTB scores, same with references, the reason for this is that the ASTB is a measure on how likely a person will make it thru flight school, in other words a higher ASTB should equate to the USN as better value for the dollar.

The ASTB is changing so what was done before to get scores up may not work as well now, see what new people say when the ASTB rolls out here in a few weeks.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Secondly, with the exception of spatial appreciation I bombed the aviation portion. Does anyone have any suggestions for books, study guides, etc that have been useful specific to the ASTB? Having no aviation background I was over whelmed with all of the information that various people suggested for study.

Any input in appreciated.
Other people will get on your case for "shotgunning" your question (posting the same question in multiple sections), so I won't bother; like NOR said, hopefully one of the mods will be kind enough to merge them and put them in an already-existing thread, since it's a very common topic.
Anyway, I used this: http://www.amazon.com/Barrons-Military-Flight-Aptitude-Tests/dp/0764145738
Worked pretty well as far as I could tell. Two practice ASTB's included. If you plan on taking the old version again before the new one comes out (December 9th), I'd recommend you head to B&N like today and pick up a copy and start cramming. Sounds like people who have taken the old one will get three more chances with the new one, so if you can schedule a retest before the 9th (I don't recall what the rules are time-wise for retests), there's nothing to lose. Otherwise, take your time, absorb as much as possible from the book, and play some Ace Combat 4, since the new test has the whole video-game thingy.

DPS2114

First time poster. I didn't realize they had moderators to control the posts.

Regardless, thanks for the information. The next time I take it will have to be the new version as I took it yesterday.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
None of your threads needed moderation. I'll leave this one open since it has responses and close the rest.

TA910

"Spoon"
pilot
My advice is to do your research. Know your weakness and focus to better it. ASTB scores are important but it's about the whole person concept. Don't let people discourage you. You will be fine. Read and study. Study and read. I have faith in you

exNavyOffRec

ASTB scores are important but it's about the whole person concept.

Most boards it isn't about whole person concept, there have been just a few boards in several years that have taken low ASTB scores and those are the boards that had selection rates over 75%, I have seen many guys passed up that were the poster child for whole person concept, and they were passed over for guys with high ASTB scores who essentially did nothing but go to college.

TA910

"Spoon"
pilot
Most boards it isn't about whole person concept, there have been just a few boards in several years that have taken low ASTB scores and those are the boards that had selection rates over 75%, I have seen many guys passed up that were the poster child for whole person concept, and they were passed over for guys with high ASTB scores who essentially did nothing but go to college.

I'm just trying to offer him some encouragement not to give up. Seems to me some people do not get the fact we are all on the same team here. High selection rate or not, each package still has to be reviewed and decided upon.

exNavyOffRec

I'm just trying to offer him some encouragement not to give up. Seems to me some people do not get the fact we are all on the same team here. High selection rate or not, each package still has to be reviewed and decided upon.

In his case looking at his info the ASTB is going to be the deciding factor, first he must get scores above the minimum, the nice thing is with the new test he does have 3 shots.

There are way too many recruiters out there that automatically go "you have an excellent shot" not matter what their GPA/scores/etc... and don't even account for the billets available for each designator. I remember we had one recruiter that would always go "you are sure to get picked up" but then would never call them when they were Pro N, sometimes they would get me and I would have to tell them, one told me since he was told he was sure to get picked up he passed on a civilian job, since then I make sure to be brutally honest, a person can always quit a civilian job if picked up.

CTFly1

Enlisted recruiters have the same issue. Often times they forget that they're not the same thing as a salesman (though that's clearly part of the job). NavyOffRec can definitely deliver the truth without much padding, but people need that more than smoke blown up various places. Being on the same team doesn't mean ignoring reality or the truth to encourage someone. If DPS2114 wants to get picked up, he now knows what he needs to do, and it's more than hope, pray and believe. In my opinion, that's awesome, because he controls his own fate. So yeah, DPS... I started working in being selected for SNA three years ago, and just got picked up this month. It took a lot of time, effort, studying, money, and cooperation from my family. Go get some study guides and work hard... time goes fast and setbacks happen. Good luck!

TA910

"Spoon"
pilot
In his case looking at his info the ASTB is going to be the deciding factor, first he must get scores above the minimum, the nice thing is with the new test he does have 3 shots.

There are way too many recruiters out there that automatically go "you have an excellent shot" not matter what their GPA/scores/etc... and don't even account for the billets available for each designator. I remember we had one recruiter that would always go "you are sure to get picked up" but then would never call them when they were Pro N, sometimes they would get me and I would have to tell them, one told me since he was told he was sure to get picked up he passed on a civilian job, since then I make sure to be brutally honest, a person can always quit a civilian job if picked up.

I agree 1000%. You have great in site and sound like a great guy. This site is lucky to have people like you