• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LORs

Status
Not open for further replies.

thor44

Quick question, does the Navy require you to get "from scratch" letters of recomendation like that AF or do they send out forms to the people you specify once you begin the process of getting you package together?

Live Pure,
Right Wrong,
Speak True,
Follow the King,
Else Wherefore Born?

schmuckatelli

When I applied (over 3 years ago) my recruiter gave me blank forms and return envelopes for the letters of recommendation. I filled in information such as my name and SSN on the forms and then gave them to the people I had asked to write letters for me. They wrote whatever they wanted in the space provided then put them in the envelopes and mailed them off.

mikedjp

My experience was that the recruiter sent out forms to the people I specified. Be sure to talk to your "people" before you give their address to the recruiter.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
To add to the confusion, the people who wrote my LOR's had to type an original letter (on company letterhead if possible) and mail it to my recruiter. I never saw any Navy forms, envelopes, or special pieces of paper.

mikedjp

The moral of this story is: talk to your recruiter and follow his directions. I think the recruiters have some discretion at which kind of letter makes a better impact on the board and they do what they think is best.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I concur, follow your recruiters directions. As for LORs, ones that speak from direction experience with you, IE you worked for someone and they observed your performance and your abilities are great. Anything that is specific, and provides insight into who you are, and why they are recommending you is better than a vague "a great guy that I have know forever, should do well".

$0.02

JayManC

another key phrase that's always good "I would welcome him/her in my wardroom" always makes a good impression

<insert something witty here:>

thor44

I have several guys with mil. service who have said that they would write letters for me. One is a ret. AF Col. another is a ret. Army Brig. General. My favorite prof. is also writing one for me, he was an enlisted man in the army. I will be getting my private pilots license this summer and my teacher was a Navy helo pilot who now flies the airbus across the atlantic. Those guys sound pretty good?

Live Pure,
Right Wrong,
Speak True,
Follow the King,
Else Wherefore Born?

Gator

The only standard form that the recruiter sent was one that was sent to my last few employers. It's basically an evaluation/reference form that has a large blank area for your employer to write in what they wish.
All of the letters of recommendation that I submitted with my application package where standard from previous commands when I was in the Marines. They were generally basically letter of recommendation that could be used when applying for a job or school.
The more creditable the person writing the letter the better off you are. In other words, a letter of recommendation from a military officer in a command position is more beneficial than one from a manager at a grocery store. Mainly because someone in the military has first hand knowledge of what it takes to be an officer. Just my two cents.

doubleeagle

My $0.02;

My letters came from;
1. Last man to walk on the moon; Navy Captain Ret.
2. A second Apollo astronaut; AF Lt. General Ret.
3. A Rear Admiral in the reserves that I've known for 15 years
4. An active LCDR flight instructor at a near by AFB
5. My boss; whom I have worked for for 1.5 years.

Letters 1,2&3 were on personal letterhead. Letter 4 was on a military form. Letter 5 was on a form sent from my recruiter. That being said, I also have my pilots license, did very well on the ASTB and still didn't get my first choice selection. I was awarded the opportunity to join OCS class 15 Nov 2003 with my second choice and I'll be there. Bottom line in my opinion, do what the recruiter says is best for your package and go with it and don't look back.

Do your best, hope for the best, expect the worst, let the cards fall how the will and deal with them accordingly.

See ya in November

Status
Not open for further replies.